PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Garage Insulation

travis howe
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
So my 3 car garage is insulated and finished w/ sheet rock. I poked into the attic out there the other day to look into some loft style shelves... it has some insulation blown in and a VERY large portion of one side of the wall touches rooms w/in our home. I was really shocked as to how cold it was up there. There is no insulation between the garage "attic" and the rooms up stairs that touch the area directly. Was wondering if this was typical or if I should get some insulation onto the wall that touches the bedrooms even though the attic space in the garage has insulation on the "floor".

Thanks all...seemed a bit odd.

r/t:confused:

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Travis - the 'walls' that you see in that attic area...are you saying they are the 'common' wall with rooms in your house? are they drywalled, or can you see the open studs with no insulation?

I would think that area should be treated as an 'uninsulated unheated area' - like an attic - and any walls that are common to a living area should be insulated.

Paul Ryan
01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
My quess is there would be insulation in the walls for the upstairs rooms. If not, if there is just sheet rock covering the wall from the inside up stairs and no sheet rock covering from the garage side, and you can see the studs, then I would put fiberglass between the studs. That sould have been done. It is code around here, for fire.