PDA

View Full Version : Finally- A CL Find

John Shaffner
01-20-2010, 9:53 PM
I've been searching for a new-to-me bandsaw to replace my 12" Craftsman for a couple months now. This morning while perusing CL, I see a fella selling off his shop, had some decent stuff listed including a Delta bandsaw. I email him, set up an appointment, and drove the 50 miles this afternoon. We exchange greets and I walk into his shop to see a dream come true, at least for me. There in the corner is a 1970 vintage 14" Delta-Rockwell bandsaw w/riser, new 1HP motor, new tires, light, fence, and several new blades. He invites me to try it out and tosses me a nine inch diameter chunk of walnut log to do my road test with. I turn her on and run the log through and my oh my, what a switch form the C'man. Took me about 30 seconds to rip through the log at moderate pressure, thanks to the BN Iturra 3/4" blade. I was getting giddy! After another 1/2 hr of BS'n, we loaded her into my trusty Chebby truck and headed for home. Seems like it only took 10 mins to go the same 50 miles! Got her into the shop with the help of my step-daughter's B/Fand fired 'er up again. This time, I tried a 10" diameter spalted maple block I'd had kickin' around for a few yrs. Well, maple seemed like hot butter as I sawed through the block. Oh man! Did I mention I was giddy!?:D

I know it's not truly a gloat til I post pics, which I will do in the morning after I get batteries for the camera.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Congrats!! It sounds like you have quite a find there!

David Christopher
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
congrats on the BS.....are you giddy :D

Mike Cruz
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats (that is a PRE-congrats until pics come...) and what did you steal if for? If you don't mind posting... And NO, not what you told your wife...what did you ACTUALLY pay for it? :D

John Shaffner
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Mike, I didn't exactly steal it, but I think it was a decent deal at $300. Figuring the riser block $100, new motor $125, new tires $40, and blades $70, I got the saw for like $65. Oh yeah, he put new upper and lower bearings in it too, so whatever$ those are worth.

Yes, David, I am still giddy!

Mike Cruz
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
You SO got a grasp on older equipment value! I recently got a 60 gallon compressor for $40! Ended up putting $200 in parts into it. Still a great deal for $240. Likewise, had you gotten the saw for $65 and done all the upgrades yourself, I think $300 is still well within a reasonable price for a well built BS. Hey, I got a Ridgid BS for $150, and after the riser kit, Carter guides, motor uprgrade, etc, I have $500 in this saw. So, I think you've done well. Good job! Hope you enjoy...

Oh, don't stop looking for BS's, it's nice having a second one for resawing, it just happened to me... :D now I have 2!

John Shaffner
01-21-2010, 12:56 PM
This is a pc of 4" walnut that I tried to resaw this morning. I got a consistant .05" all the way through the cut. Not too shabby.

Here she is in all her glory! I haven't cleaned her up yet, it does need some TLC. She was born in 1970, going by the ser.#. I may end up doing a paint job, but other than that, I need to clean up the minor rust on the table.

This is Rockie's predecessor(SP?) She was born in 1986 and given to me by my FIL. Although she's been good to me for the 15 yrs. I've had her, she's gettin' tired. I had though about turning her out to pasture, but I may just keep her around to keep Rockie company and to do lighter chores around the shop. I really don't have the room in my 16x24 shop, but may be able to find room for her somewhere.

Thanks for looking and I hope this qualifies as gloatworthy:)

John, Rockie, Cman and the rest of the crew

Jerome Hanby
01-21-2010, 1:45 PM
Man, what is your definition of a steal!? I bought pretty much the same base saw and thought I got a deal at <$200. The Delta riser block was a good bit more that $100, new tires, and some other goodies bring me close to $400 and still haven't bought longer blades. Plus I've got the 3/4 HP stock motor.

I think you deserve a hardy YOU SUCK for this gloat:D

Congrats, looking forward to pics

Mike, I didn't exactly steal it, but I think it was a decent deal at $300. Figuring the riser block $100, new motor $125, new tires $40, and blades $70, I got the saw for like $65. Oh yeah, he put new upper and lower bearings in it too, so whatever$ those are worth.

Yes, David, I am still giddy!

Chris Kehl
01-21-2010, 2:23 PM
John,

Great find! I'm a craigslist junkie, good deals to be found on there! Congrats again!:)