PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 490x and my snipe issue...

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Some few weeks ago I posted about having an issue with snipe on the outfeed of my 8 inch Grizz. Last night I finally got around to doing an actual investigation.

Turns out I indeed had an outfeed table that was just a hair lower than the spiral cutterhead blade @ TDC.

I followed the book to make the adjustments and it was very easy. I did spend a little time with the magnetic base dial indicator checking that the bed was the same height from the cutter head across the width of the bed. I don't have a good straight edge, so a proper test for parallel couldn't be done. One of these days i'll buy that veritas straight edge. However, at this point, it all looked good - everything seemed very much in spec.

One other question I turned up while monkeying: The lower and upper bed adjustment bolts...I thought I would check the INFEED table for full range of operation. It turns out, the lower adjustment bolt still allows me to lower the infeed table to like a half inch going into the cutterhead...rediculous!

I screwed the bolt all the way in and that now stops me at about a half inch, but the bolt is all the way in...no more adjustment available.

Any ideas on what the deal might be? I'm not really worried about it, since i rarely take a heavy cut, but it would be nice to be able to take away some of that range of motion just for safety sake.