PDA

View Full Version : Norway Maple NE

Kevin J Lalonde
01-20-2010, 7:53 PM
Arborist gave me two pieces of this wood. This is my second try at natural edge bowl. It's 4"x6", finished with 4 coats of Waterlox. It has some bluish tint to some of the wood and multiple pin sized insect holes. Dont know if it's spalted or ambrosia. The bark was not rotten anywheres. Anyways, what do you guys think? Wife said she likes it, looks like a tulip. I think it needed more from the waist off. But.... Thanks for looking!

Joseph M Lary
01-20-2010, 8:55 PM
That is a nice bowl , I like turning NE bowls most of all. they are a little had to pull off sometimes but you have done a very good job of it .:)

John Keeton
01-20-2010, 9:27 PM
Kevin, the wood certainly has a nice color, and you did a great job holding the bark on the piece. Although I prefer a more open look to NE bowls, I see many that have a form similar to yours. It fits the wood, and does have a nice look to it. I agree with your wife on the tulip shape, and it makes for a very attractive bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2010, 9:45 PM
Good looking bowl. Nice job keeping the bark on. I like the tulip look.

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2010, 9:57 PM
Kevin - interesting form! Nice job keeping the bark! Hard to tell how thick the bowl is - a slightly more elevated photo would have displayed the thickness as well as shown off the interior of you bowl.

Nice work on the finish!

David E Keller
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice coloring on the wood and beautiful bark edge. Not sure the shape appeals to me as much as a more open form, but that's part of the fun of turning and finding what YOU like. Thanks for posting.

Ted Calver
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Good job Kevin. I like that form. It's a relatively small piece of wood and I can understand trying to use as much of it as possible.

Baxter Smith
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Interesting shape. Almost reminds me of a natural edge hollow form - if there is such a thing!

Wayne Bower
01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Very nice ne.