PDA

View Full Version : Setting Table saw bevels

Royce Meritt
10-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey folks!!

I find myself doing more and more bevel cuts with my table saw. Some 45's some 22 1/2's, etc. What do you folks use to set the bevel angle of your table saw blade? The bevel gauge on my saw isn't precise enough. My combination square only does 90's and 45's. A protractor and adjustable bevel gauge leaves too much room for operator error, etc.

Do you have a "special" set-up tool that you use? Thanks.

Chris Padilla
10-19-2004, 12:34 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/250.cfm

I use the "Gauge It" on my TS.

Betsy Yocum
10-19-2004, 1:25 PM
Royce - sure would not count on the saw's gauge at all - they are notriously off the mark. Also, hopefully your combination square is a good one. Most of the combo's bought at the DYI stores are not truly square - and if you are counting on them to make a precise measure - you're out of luck. You need to get a very accurate square. I've got the Incra 90 and 45 squares and they are guaranteed accurate - since I've started using them to set my saw blades I've been right on the mark and my corners, etc. are matching up with a lot less trouble. When I got my Incras I went ahead and checked all the other squares against them, and you guessed it - they were all off by several degrees. Then I tested the squares against each other and they all were off against themselves. So now I trust only my Incras. My old squares are bascially straight edges and rules now.

As to those odd degrees - I'm with Chris.

Hope that helps.
Betsy

Sparky Paessler
10-19-2004, 1:38 PM
Royce

I use a sliding bevel (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32593&category=1,42936,50298,43508&ccurrency=2&SID=) from Lee Vally and a triangle square to set it. Same as I do when installing trim to measure the angle of the corners.

Sparky

Tyler Howell
10-19-2004, 1:41 PM
Hey Royce,
Looks like you, Todd, and the family made it home safe and sound.
I had to run a lot of stock at 45* and 22.5* on and off over a few months. I cut pieces of BB plywood on the CSMS at those angles and double checked them with a Starret(sp) sliding T. protractor. They sit on the shelf till I need them.
Also just recently cut a 30* gauge for the grinder to tune up all these old chisels around the house.
Still Burning Electrons.

Dean Baumgartner
10-19-2004, 1:52 PM
Royce,
Another choice is a draftsman's triangle. They come in fixed 45 - 90 and 30 - 60 - 90 as well as an adjustable from 45 up to 90. Get to 22.5 by setting the adjustable at 67.5 and using the outside measurement.

These type of triangles are very accurate and usually only cost a few dollars.

Dean

Ken Garlock
10-19-2004, 2:01 PM
I bought the Grizzly dial protractor about a year ago. I used the heck out of it when I was cutting the "hip roof" top for my dust filter box. It will give you direct readings down to 5 minutes of arc, and you can guess it closer. It checks dead-on with my Starrett square and the try squares from WoodCraft.

This is one of the best buys I have made: Grizzly Dial Protractor (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9900)

For $40, you can't go wrong :cool:

Bart Leetch
10-19-2004, 2:49 PM
Both Ken & Chris are right on the money.

I have the Gage Chris mentioned works great, make sure to get the one for which ever way your saw bevels.

My wood working buddy has the tool Ken mentioned you can use this to check all your tools for accuracy just wunnerful wunnerful.

I highly recommend both of these tools. :)

Chris Padilla
10-19-2004, 2:52 PM
Cool...that dial protractor looks nice and the price is very reasonable. Hmmm, what else do I need from Griz...?? :)

Jack Hogoboom
10-19-2004, 3:33 PM
Just ordered mine!!!!

Jack