PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw/Uniguard owners

Carole Valentine
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Do you have a folding outfeed table on your saw? If so what design did you use to attach it to the rear of the saw? The Uniguard arm uses the two available bolt holes in the back of the saw table and takes up a lot of room back there. I am not sure how to best accomplish this. (pics would be nice!)

Jim Becker
10-19-2004, 11:21 AM
If you remount the UniGuard to the bottom of the rear rail, you may be able to accomodate a folding outfeed design like the one I have on my site. I had my UniGuard mounted that way when I owned it, but that was pre-outfeed table. (I replaced the UniGuard with an Exalibur guard two years ago). The other option is to leave your guard as-is and make up some metal brackets that offset the folding outfeed solution farther to the rear.

Jamie Buxton
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Carol --

I have an HTC folding outfeed table on my Unisaw. It leaves quite a bit of room on the back side of the saw, where guards and ripfence rails and such can be connected. In that gap, you could put a box which is 5" front-to-back, 6" high, and as wide as the saw.

Jamie

Joe Meazle
10-19-2004, 2:30 PM
C,
On my Jet Cab saw the unigauard brackets sit under the angle iron. My folding outfeed is attached to that angle with hinges. Had to drill for the hinges. Not much trouble at all.
Joe

Carole Valentine
10-19-2004, 3:42 PM
Do you mean run the the bolts out and put the angle iron between the brackets and the table and let the iron stand out over the guard arm? Would not give me much room to work with as far as the thickness of the outfeed table surface, but.... I suppose could cut a notch in the angle iron so it drops down below the surface of the bracket, then cut a notch in the bottom of the outfeed table to clear the bracket. Thanks, I have ideas now! :)
http://www.esva.net/~pchousecalls/guardmount.jpg

Jim Becker
10-19-2004, 3:59 PM
Carole, it looks like your saw does not have a rear rail given your UniGuard is directly bolted to the saw top. When I had it on my saw, I had it bolted to the angle iron that came with my fence system (Bies clone) that supports the extension table. The UniGuard brackets were "under" the bottom of that rear angle iron rail, leaving plenty of clearnace for attaching other things to said rail. The only accomodation would have been rebating for the bolt heads that were above the rail from the UniGuard attachment.