PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4100 Owners....loud squeaking noice when lowering blade

George Farra
01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi All

My bosch 4100 has started to make a loud squeaking noise when I lower the blade. According to the owners manual, I should be taking it into a service center every 6 months to be cleaned out and lubricated. Does anyone really do that?????

It also states that the threaded rod and pinoin gear should be lubricated with either light oil or WD40. I turned the saw over last night and was amazed at how much saw dust came out of it.

Vacuumed it out, brushed away the buildup on the moving parts and hit it with WD40.......still squeaks.

Any solutions out there or do I need to find a service center by me??

TIA

George

Neil Brooks
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I've got the 4100. Mine's squeaking, too.

Have you figured out whether it is definitely the rod & pinion that's squeaking, though? If it is, then ... I'll probably hit mine with a light touch of synthetic grease, and then periodically check it to make sure it's not catching too much dust.

So far ... I just live with the squeak ;)

Myk Rian
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It prevents water from collecting.
Get a spray can of dry lubricant. It won't collect the dust like grease will. Spray it on anything that touches another part.
There is no need to take it to a service center every 6 months, unless you like lining their pockets.

Mike Reinholtz
01-20-2010, 7:30 PM
I had a Bosch 4100 for about a year, mine made noise too until I used the dry lube home depot sells for garage doors. The bummer with grease, is they make things worse by attracting sawdust. I greased mine one time and found it packed up even faster. The dry lube worked great. I upgraded to a cabinet saw, so I don't know how long it lasted before needing to be done again.

There is no need to take it in every 6 months for maintenance, that's ridiculous.

Mike

Drew Loehr
01-20-2010, 7:37 PM
Yep, got that.

George Farra
01-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys

I knew that WD40 is not a lubricant and was surprised the owner's manual recommended it but i figured it would evaporate and dust wouldn't cling to it so i gave it a shot.

I'll pick up a can of dry lubricant.

regards

George

Neil Brooks
01-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I knew that WD40 is not a lubricant and was surprised the owner's manual recommended it but i figured it would evaporate and dust wouldn't cling to it so i gave it a shot.

Yes it is. It's a thin one, and not all the long lasting, but -- chemically -- it is a lubricant, and it does reduce friction.

I'll pick up a can of dry lubricant.Yesterday, inspired by your post, I used a spray can of electronics contact cleaner/lubricant that's very safe for plastics. Now ... I sort of miss my squeak ;)