PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy parts/upgrades PM 141 Bandsaw?

Cameron Reddy
01-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I spent the afternoon working over my new 1996 PM 141 bandsaw and I'd like to know where you bandsaw experts pick up parts for this venerable machine.

The saw seems to be well built, with the exception of pretty flimsy stamped trunnions. I'd sure like to beef them up somehow. The table flexes more than I'd like.

The blade guard assembly adjusted nicely to be perfectly in line with the blade. And with a little grease, it slides up and down like silk. I had to bend the actual blade guard a bit here and there to make things fit.

I definitely need a set of tires and a new motor drive belt. I'm sure I could use a blade or two. I see that the saw is supposed to be able to take a 1" blade... Wow! Anyone think I should get a blade that wide with only 5.5" of resaw height?

The previous owner wired it for 220, but he used a very long 14/3 power cord! I'll probably keep it 220, but I'll shorten the cord and go with 10/2 and a twist lock 20 amp plug. The motor plate is buried too far under the base to read the specs. I'm sure 10 gauge is overkill. I would like to upgrade the on/off power switch. The original one is not very easy to operate and the "on" and "off" positions are not very definitive.

You guys suggest anything else?

Comments?

Cameron Reddy

Simon Dupay
01-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Are you sure it's a 141? it shouldn't have stamped steel trunnions but cast iron if it's a 141.

Cameron Reddy
01-20-2010, 1:33 AM
Are you sure it's a 141? it shouldn't have stamped steel trunnions but cast iron if it's a 141.

Absolutely sure. The lower bracket trunnion is cast. The upper trunnions are stamped steel.

It gets worse, however. One end of the lower cast trunnion is secured to the cast frame via a small, stamped, L plate.

It's very surprising. And disappointing. :(:(

Kirk Poore
01-20-2010, 9:32 AM
From all I've heard, the 141 is one of the finest 14" bandsaws ever built. I wouldn't worry too much about the trunnions--they're probably still better than the pot metal things you see on most saws (like my Jet). I have the same stamped trunnions on my PM 30 sander and they're quite adequate.

I don't think you'll need the wide blade--you probably don't need anything over 1/2".

The 10/2 cord is overkill. In fact, if you're going to keep it at 220v the 14/3 is probably good enough. I doubt the saw has more than a 1 hp motor on it so should draw maybe 13 amps at 120v/7 amps at 240v. If you do want to rewire it, go with 12 ga wire.

Kirk

Cameron Reddy
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Kirk,

That's the information I was looking for! It's actually a 3/4 hp motor, so maybe the 14/3 really is fine.

The 141 does seem to ooze quality. Except for those stamped trunnions! The bar guide is a huge square of solid steel and with a touch of grease it slides up and down with palpable quality. And it easily adjusts for parallelism with the blade. All the blade guides adjust, again touched with a bit of grease, with pleasing sureness.

And a Baldor motor! Woo Hoo!

And that frame! Solid cast iron! 300 pounds!

Just need a few parts to get it running as new.

Kirk Poore
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
One other piece of info, though it should NOT affect performance:
http://owwm.com/photoindex/images/246-A.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/05/02/Gumby_narrowweb__300x483,0.jpg

How many other bandsaws had their own TV show?:)

Kirk