PDA

View Full Version : Router VS controls and suggestions

Nathan Callender
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey all - I'm thinking of upgrading my tiny little router (or supplementing is more like it) with one of the 2 1/4hp units with variable speed. So, a couple of questions. First, do all routers with VS now come with feedback circuitry to allow them to develop maximum hp at their lower speeds? I know some used to only come with a VS control that did not account for load.

I'm planning on getting a kit fixed/plunge base so I can leave the fixed base in the table and have a plunge router (my current one is a fixed base). I'm also on a budget, so are there any good deals or suggestions for a good kit lately? I'm actually eying the ridgid kit, or the hitachi m12vc with additional base, but I thought I'd ask here first. Also, I do plan on doing the occasional raised panel so take that into consideration (that being said, I think I still want the smaller, more versatile router though).

Thanks!

Stephen Edwards
01-19-2010, 11:41 PM
While I can't speak for the Ridgid, I can give you my impression of the Hitachi.

I consider it to be just an OK router, especially the plunge base. Its action isn't as smooth as it should be, IMHO. Nor is the fit and finish of the router itself.

Also, using the fixed base under the table you may find it to be inconvenient to have to "twist" the motor to raise and lower the bit. As a hand held router the fixed base is satisfactory. I've also had trouble with the collets on this router from day one. They work but are apt to get stuck.

The only other router in this size that I have to compare to the Hitachi is the Bosch 1617-1618 EVS kit. Both the fixed base and the plunge base are much better than the Hitachi. Plunge action is smooth, collets release the bits much easier and the fixed base under the table is more satisfactory and less of a hassle, in my opinion.

Whatever router kit that you decide to get, I'd recommend the type where the fixed base that will be mounted under your table not be the type that has to twist to change the height. I'd steer clear of the Hitachi, based on your stated needs and my personal experience.