PDA

View Full Version : Travel Mugs

Greg Just
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Here are 3 travel mugs I completed recently. From the left, walnut, cherry and dyed poplar. I used the stave construction method by making a sled for my table saw with the blade set at 22.5 degrees and the miter gauge set at 2 degrees. Each piece of wood started at about 6.5 inches long. Once I figured out the angles, they went together rather easily. This method minimized the waste. Thanks for looking.

Baxter Smith
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Thats a neat idea. Where did you get the liners?

Greg Just
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Thats a neat idea. Where did you get the liners?

Thanks Baxter. Rockler, Woodcraft and Crafts Supply sell them. I bought about 6 of them on sale. There is another website I have been looking at called SmoothTurning.com but don't know anything about them. Their website doesn't look like it has been updated in a while.

Baxter Smith
01-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks, never noticed them. Will have to keep that thought in mind.:)
Would make some useful gifts.

Paul Douglass
01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Greg, I have two of the liners and instructions, but haven't had the guts to try one yet. Nice job. I have to get to it.

Joe Wiliams
01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Very nice:cool: Is there a kit available that is shorter and has a wider base?

Doug W Swanson
01-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Greg,

Those look really nice. I picked up a couple of kits from Woodcraft a few weeks ago for $5 each. When I have more time I'm going to make them for gifts.

Doug

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Real nice work Greg! Great job on the joinery! Really like the finish also - what did you use?

David Walser
01-20-2010, 1:09 AM
Thanks Baxter. Rockler, Woodcraft and Crafts Supply sell them. I bought about 6 of them on sale. There is another website I have been looking at called SmoothTurning.com but don't know anything about them. Their website doesn't look like it has been updated in a while.

Smooth Turning (http://www.smoothturning.com/shop/) is run by a member of the Creek, Brodie Brickey. He also supplies kits to Craft Supplies USA, Woodcraft, and some of the other vendors.

In addition to the 16 oz stainless steel mug kits, Brodie also has 16 oz stainless steel cocktail shaker kits -- guaranteed to make you look like James Bond as you make your shaken, not stirred, vodka martinis.

Greg Just
01-20-2010, 6:59 AM
Real nice work Greg! Great job on the joinery! Really like the finish also - what did you use?

Steve:

Thanks for the feedback. I used an exterior grade poly for the finish, 3 coats and then I buffed the finish after a couple of days. I made sure I sealed the end grain on the lip that went up into the liner. I used the exterior poly for extra protection knowing the mug would be around liquids. I "glued" the liner to the wood with a silcone caulk. My next design will include a contrasting colored wood in the seams.

Greg

John Keeton
01-20-2010, 7:09 AM
Very nice work!! The poplar one came out suprisingly well on the dyed color. Sometimes that doesn't work with poplar, but it sure did on this one!

Steve Mawson
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Nice work. Made a couple myself from a solid piece of wood. Understand the staves but how do you do the bottom?

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Really nice looking mugs Greg. Love the finish on them.

Steve Mellott
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Greg:

Did you use a standard 3/4" board? Thanks.

Steve

Greg Just
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Steve Mellott: Yes, I used 3/4 inch stock. I usually search the cutoff bin at Rockler for small pieces. They only need to be about 6.5 inches long

Steve Mawson: after the staves dry, I mount them on the lathe using a jamb chuck and square off the bottom. I take another piece of the same wood and cut a circle on the bandsaw slightly larger than the bottom and glue it on. After letting it dry overnight, I put it back on the lathe and carefully true up the bottom and form a small tenon. I then mount it in my 4-jaw chuck, clean out the inside so the sleeve fits then I shape the outside getting the walls pretty thin. After sanding, I use a thin parting tool to cut the cup off leaving about 1/4 inch bottom. I don't worry about getting it perfect as I glue a thin piece of black foam rubber on the bottom so the finished cup doesn't slide around.

John Keeton: I used RIT liquid dye and this color is called wine. I got it at Wal-Mart for about $1.25 and it goes a long way. I usually put on 2-3 coats.

Wayne Bower
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Those are a fun project. I made 3 a couple of years ago and gave them to my sons and son in law for Christmas.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-23-2010, 2:43 PM
Greg, nice job.

For anyone interested, here's a link to a PDF file of a "How To" article that I wrote a couple years ago for the American Woodturner:

http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/coffeemug.pdf

John Mowgli
01-26-2010, 1:30 PM
I just made a couple of travel mugs out of tiger maple.

First I learned that using a 2.125" forstner bit is better than hogging out from a 7/8" paddle bit.
Second thing I learned is that I NEED hollowing tools.
I like bowls, boxes & hollowed forms. see above^

The third thing I learned is as follows:

For the first mug I used a liner/cover I recovered from my old Harley Davidson mug.
It has an adequate rubber gasket and the cover is over 1/4" deeper than the Woodcraft kits.
The cover from the Woodcraft kit has a shorter cover with a flimsy gasket.
If the Woodcraft mug falls over the cover will pop off guaranteed.
I hold it upside down and give it a little shake and the cover falls out.

I'm not putting all this effort into making a beautiful but flawed finished product.

Does anyone have a source for a better liner/cover kit?