PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl 14" X 6"

Leo Van Der Loo
01-19-2010, 9:57 PM
Finish sanded and polished this Walnut Bowl, still has to get some finish on it, and I also have to refine the foot were the recess still shows.
It is about 14" across and 6" high, I left the rim at a ¼", it is just a little thicker than the rest of wall going down.
I had rough turned this in September and it was dry for a while already, didn't get to it till now, and will wipe a few coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it in the next week or so.
Any/all comments welcome :D
139054 139055 139056 139057

Donny Lawson
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I really like that one.It's got great shape to it.How much time do you have in it?
Donny

Tony Greenway
01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Leo, very nice turning.
What brand of Polymerized Tung oil do you use, and do you use it to mainly fill open grain woods?:confused:

Leo Van Der Loo
01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I really like that one.It's got great shape to it.How much time do you have in it?
Donny

Thanks Donny,
Donny I turn because I like it, it's fun, so time isn't exactly counted ever, guestimate, oh an hour or so rough turning it, and probably 1½ to 2 hours truing the recess and foot, and finish sanding it, still have to refine the inner foot, and put the tung oil finish on it and than later polish that, so count it up :D :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks Tony :D, I always use the Lee Valley Polymerized or/ the pure Tung oil from them, store is 10 min. away and I'm quite happy with the stuff, it's easy to use and looks good :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Leo - great looking bowl! Kind of a trumpet bell shape to it! Love the flow to it! Also like the single detail line around the rim! Adds just a little bit to the color!

Baxter Smith
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Leo - I like the graceful shape and the balanced:) sapwood at the edges and foot adds something extra to it as well.

Brian Effinger
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Beautiful Leo, but don't you know that funnels aren't supposed to have bottoms? :p :D

Seriously that is nice, and I especially like the sapwood at the bottom of the bowl. A nice and maybe unexpected surprise when you look into it.

Well done.

Brian

Richard Madison
01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Nice bowl and interesting shape Leo. You said it was "polished" but unfinished. Am curious about how polished, in a way that will not interfere with subsequent finishing?

Alan Tolchinsky
01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Leo, Very cool bowl; I like the contrasting colors in that. Great work as usual! Alan

Bill Bolen
01-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Cool piece Leo. Kind of reminds me of those old cake stands you used to see at the lunch counters at Woolworth's. (showing my age here)..Bill...

Doug W Swanson
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Very nice, Leo.

At first glance I thought it was pieced together but it's not. I also like how you hollowed out the bowl part down to the lighter color of wood.

You always come up with some really nice things.

JMO,
Doug

Scott Hackler
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Overall I like the piece. The contrasting wood is really nice, as is the size. I am a little unsure about the foot / stand. I wonder what this form would look like with the foot cut at an angle so that the bowl would be tilted towards the audience. I think the presentation of the bowl itself would be a little better if you wouldnt have to look straight down to see that beautiful wood.

As always, nice work.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:00 AM
Leo - great looking bowl! Kind of a trumpet bell shape to it! Love the flow to it! Also like the single detail line around the rim! Adds just a little bit to the color!

Thanks Steve :-)), the friction burnt line around the rim seems to be a little controversial, as some turners were thinking it would look better without, I'm not to sure about it myself, I've turned this style a few times before, but with a different rim and no line, anyway I'm not about to try to rub it out :D ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:08 AM
Thanks Baxter, it is a shape I've always liked, it can be used to show off the grain in a bowl or the color like in this one, I was a little disappointed that the foot stained as much as it did, but you are between a rock and a hard place with this, as you would want the wood to dry quickly so the stain doesn't get as bad, but you don't want the wood to split so you have to slow it down :(
Maybe I should have used some lime juice :)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:12 AM
Brian, are you sure there is a bottom in it ???, it looks a lot like a turning vortex, there's no bottom to that :eek: :p
Had to dig deep to get that sapwood to show :D
Thanks for commenting Brian :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:34 AM
Nice bowl and interesting shape Leo. You said it was "polished" but unfinished. Am curious about how polished, in a way that will not interfere with subsequent finishing?

Thanks Richard :D, yes I do this quite often, after going through the grids sanding I'll take the polishing wheel and polish with the tripoli and white diamond, never had a problem that I'm aware of :).
Do you think there is a problem polishing before adding a oil finish ??

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:47 AM
Thanks for commenting Alan, I appreciate it :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:50 AM
Cool piece Leo. Kind of reminds me of those old cake stands you used to see at the lunch counters at Woolworth's. (showing my age here)..Bill...

Thanks Bill :)

Yup I remember then too Bill, Ha, All I need now is the alluminium covered cardboard disk and of course the cake :D :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:53 AM
Very nice, Leo.

At first glance I thought it was pieced together but it's not. I also like how you hollowed out the bowl part down to the lighter color of wood.

You always come up with some really nice things.

JMO,
Doug

Thanks for taking the time to comment Doug, I just love turning, and keep trying different things, it's fun :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 2:57 AM
Overall I like the piece. The contrasting wood is really nice, as is the size. I am a little unsure about the foot / stand. I wonder what this form would look like with the foot cut at an angle so that the bowl would be tilted towards the audience. I think the presentation of the bowl itself would be a little better if you wouldnt have to look straight down to see that beautiful wood.

As always, nice work.

Thanks Scott, you know it isn't that tall, and it is more of a surprise if the looker can't see the light bottom at first, Surprise !! ;) :D

charlie knighton
01-20-2010, 3:40 AM
very nice, i like the contrast in the sapwood and heartwood, is that the pith i see??????? black walnut has chambered pith, how did you embleish the pith???

John Keeton
01-20-2010, 6:31 AM
I was away from the computer and missed this one!! Leo, this bowl/stand has so many interesting features. First, I love walnut! But, it also has a very smooth and unique shape, and I like the beveled foot. Of course, as others have noted, you really used the sapwood as an element of expression here - great job on that!!

Overall, just a very interesting and well done piece. You said it wasn't that tall, but I don't recall seeing an actual dimension. Care to give the width and height?

Edit: I guess the 14" is the total width of the top portion, and total height is 6"!! Shoulda read the title a little closer!!

Roland Martin
01-20-2010, 6:42 AM
Very nice Leo. Extraordinary job centering & balancing the sapwood. Graceful form, "Masterpiece"

Tony De Masi
01-20-2010, 7:10 AM
Love the balance of the piece Leo. That isn't always an easy task for us common folk but I'm certain you calculated it that way. Walnut is my favorite to turn and I just love the contrast with the sap wood. Well done.

Tony

David E Keller
01-20-2010, 8:23 AM
Nice looking piece. I'm curious as to whether you intend it for use or as an art piece. The walnut is beautiful.

Grant Wilkinson
01-20-2010, 9:05 AM
That's a very fine piece, Leo. I like the burned lined around the rim. It draws the eye up.

Joe Adams
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Simply amazing!

Harvey Ghesser
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
That work of art would look great on my dining room table!

You've given me a project, Leo!

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Great looking piece Leo. Really shows of the beauty of the wood. Interesting form.

Thom Sturgill
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
As usual, a very nice piece Leo.

I generally don't like either the foot or the flared shape as it usually is made too straight sided, but this piece works great. My only concern would be the line around the rim. It looks as if there is already some warp and the line will emphasize that. 'Course that could just be my eyes.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 5:55 PM
As usual, a very nice piece Leo.

I generally don't like either the foot or the flared shape as it usually is made too straight sided, but this piece works great. My only concern would be the line around the rim. It looks as if there is already some warp and the line will emphasize that. 'Course that could just be my eyes.

Thank you Thom :D
Yes the bowl was wet turned and left to dry, so yes there is a gentle curve in the wood and on the rim, it does show, more so when looked from the side and the line does accentuate it, I do like that part of it, but not everyone does, with discriminating tastes there is different likes and dislikes, makes for a more colorful and interesting world :D :).

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 6:19 PM
very nice, i like the contrast in the sapwood and heartwood, is that the pith i see??????? black walnut has chambered pith, how did you embleish the pith???

Thanks for taking the time to comment Charlie :D
The rim is very close to the pith, the piths you see are from small twigs that grew there when that part of the tree was still very thin, maybe an inch or so, the one pith has a small split across it, I will probably fill it with some CA after I have a coat of Tung oil on the bowl, it will keep it from spreading I expect :)

I was away from the computer and missed this one!! Leo, this bowl/stand has so many interesting features. First, I love walnut! But, it also has a very smooth and unique shape, and I like the beveled foot. Of course, as others have noted, you really used the sapwood as an element of expression here - great job on that!!

Overall, just a very interesting and well done piece. You said it wasn't that tall, but I don't recall seeing an actual dimension. Care to give the width and height?

Edit: I guess the 14" is the total width of the top portion, and total height is 6"!! Shoulda read the title a little closer!!

Thank you John :D, yes the top is 14 inches across and it stands 6" tall, the shape is one Richard Raffan also uses, it gives you the opportunity to show off the grain and you can have a foot and bowl in one continues flowing curve, I added the bevel-back to accentuate the foot, it sets it apart, yet is still one with the rest of the turning.
The walnut is a nice wood, still a little harsh colored right now, but given some time and an oil finish on it, it will look much better :) :D

John Keeton
01-20-2010, 6:45 PM
The walnut is a nice wood, still a little harsh colored right now, but given some time and an oil finish on it, it will look much better :) :DLeo, IMO walnut is king of woods! It is my favorite, and when combined with maple (particularly curly maple), it nears perfection. When that tung oil hits it, magic happens!!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 6:46 PM
Very nice Leo. Extraordinary job centering & balancing the sapwood. Graceful form, "Masterpiece"

Thank you Roland :D, Yes I'm happy with it :)

Love the balance of the piece Leo. That isn't always an easy task for us common folk but I'm certain you calculated it that way. Walnut is my favorite to turn and I just love the contrast with the sap wood. Well done.

Tony

Tony, just a every day guy here also, we're just lucky to be able to work with such wonderful material, I saw the potential when sawing and rounding the piece, with the sapwood so wide and even on the one half of the log, and so I went for it.
Walnut can be a handful to turn at times, this one gave me a bit of a hassle when turning the lower part of the foot, but I was able to get a clean cut the second or third time I took a very fine shaving off of it, and needed to use a spindle gouge to do it :), got er done :D

Nice looking piece. I'm curious as to whether you intend it for use or as an art piece. The walnut is beautiful.

Thanks for commenting David
David it is for sale :), the one that owns it can use it as he/she likes ;), but yes, realistically, I would think it is more of a decorating piece than a daily user.
Though it could be used as a fruit bowl maybe, there are some real inventive people out there, so who knows what it will be used for :confused:

Rob Cunningham
01-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Very cool looking piece Leo. I really like the contrast of heartwood and sapwood. The shape is very artistic. Good luck selling it, I'm sure it will go quickly.

GLENN THOMAS
01-20-2010, 8:50 PM
Very nice piece Leo.

Seeing seeing your work and the work of others on SMC give me something to aspire to.

GT

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 9:02 PM
That's a very fine piece, Leo. I like the burned lined around the rim. It draws the eye up.

Thanks for commenting Grant :D

That work of art would look great on my dining room table!

You've given me a project, Leo!

Thanks Harvey :D
Well Harvey it is for sale ;) :D, if yours doesn't turn out you know where to get one :p :D :D

Great looking piece Leo. Really shows of the beauty of the wood. Interesting form.

Thanks for your very kind comment Bernie :D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 9:05 PM
Very cool looking piece Leo. I really like the contrast of heartwood and sapwood. The shape is very artistic. Good luck selling it, I'm sure it will go quickly.

Thanks Rob :D, you know the selling, that's my biggest problem Rob, I am not a very good seller, I rather turn than do all that other stuff :o :)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-20-2010, 9:12 PM
Very nice piece Leo.

Seeing seeing your work and the work of others on SMC give me something to aspire to.

GT

You know Glenn, I am a believer in having fun, that is in my book the most important part of turning, the enjoyment of taking a piece of wood and just shaping it into something/anything, perfect doesn't exist, it just a level were we are at, and when I started (:eek: :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:, well luckily I got better) it sure wasn't pretty, but I did enjoy it, I did have fun, and for that reason I kept on doing it :D :D :D