PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for buck chisel

Bob Jones
01-19-2010, 9:12 PM
I am looking to upgrade to a good set of chisels. I want SAE sizes, a good all around set. I guess bench chisels. What is the best bang for the buck out there?

Are there any makers that pre-lap the backside? That would be worth a premium to me, as I hate lapping the back of a blade.
I look forward to the opinions!

FYI - I also hope to buy mortise chisels sometime in the future.

Sean Hughto
01-19-2010, 9:31 PM
I'd go for these in your shoes:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=IL-100-40.XX&Category_Code=TBBC

Casey Gooding
01-19-2010, 10:02 PM
I second Sean. I just bought a set. They are really nice. The backs are slightly hollow ground, so it's easier to polish the backs.

Joel Goodman
01-19-2010, 10:09 PM
+1 on that -- I have the original model and my only gripe is that the handles are too big -- the Mk 2 fixes that issue. Flatten easily and good steel.

Larry Williams
01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I just got one of the AI chisels Sean and Casey mention. For the price, they're hard to beat. Very easy to get tuned up and sharpened plus the added benefit of very fine grained O-1 steel. There are a lot of things that are right about these chisels and I'm pretty picky when it comes to steel, shape, thickness with the proper amount of taper, and even bolsters. I'd prefer traditional bolsters and tangs but these chisels are, I think, about as close as you can to right in a contemporary chisel.

paul cottingham
01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=49989&cat=1,41504,43500&ap=1
They certainly aren't Ashley Iles, but they are much cheaper and
I am pretty damn pleased with mine.
Bear in mind that they are the first decent chisels I have owned, so I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

James Ogle
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I have Blue Steel Chisels (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=12763) for Japan Woodworker along with a couple of mortise chisels from them and a couple of pig stickers from the bay.uk. I have been really happy with the chisels. I understand some people don't like the hoops. I also have no idea if they are true SAE sizes or not.

Callan Campbell
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Alot of people seem to like the Narex Chisels for a starting value set, but they're metric, with 'close' to SAE/imperial sizing. Available from highlandwoodworking.com- or other places.
I like my set from Traditional Woodworker, it's their house branded set of chisels, made in Germany. You can get straight Imperial sized chisels from them. You may want to get over the lament about flattening chisel or other tool backs. You really only have to do it once, and it's the only way to get a truly sharp edge that's easy to also maintain with bevel honing as needed. Look at what method you're using to get a chisel back flat, then ask around the old SMC to see if someone has a faster way. Learning to properly sharpen your tools will pay you back for life, you just pay for the tools once.:cool:

James Taglienti
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
i just use vintage chisels, they seem to work really well... i started with a pile of around 100 and then whittled it down to a set of 12

John Sanford
01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
The only true quality Imperial (I'm not sure if the Society of Automotive Engineers, i.e. SAE, is really interested in woodworking chisels) chisels I can think of off the top of my head are the Blue Spruce Toolworks chisels, and Lie-Nielsen. There are likely others out there, I'm simply not aware of them. The Imperial measurements of the LV chisels are "nominal", i.e, they're a metric chisel.

Jim Koepke
01-20-2010, 1:18 AM
Dang, I am lost here. I haven't bought a new chisel in years.
My set of chisels is alway getting new (old) recruits.
My current set that is getting recruits is a set of Witherby chisels with short blades. It may take time, but sometimes a short chisel is preferred over a long one. Actually, there are only about 4 missing if I want a set by 1/8ths from 1/8 to 1 inch

Any Buck Brothers in sizes smaller than an inch that are not already in my set would likely get my wallet warm. So would a couple of sizes of long Witherby paring chisels.

jim

Mick David
01-20-2010, 9:15 AM
I have the Narex set and while they're metric, it's not so far from English that it makes a difference for me.

I did have to spend some time lapping the backs of mine, but I got them right after the FWW article naming them a 'best value.' Perhaps they do a better job of that now.

I'm digging the ones on Lee Valley.com -- the darker handles look nicer than the light-colored wood on the ones I got from Highland Woodworking.

I also have the Narex mortise chisel set but have not yet put it through its paces -- so far, they seem to be pretty good.

Orlando Gonzalez
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Bob,

I have a set of the AI Mk1's that Joel mentioned that I was going to post in the Classifieds. They have never been used and in fact they still have the wax on the blades. I have from the 1/4" to the 1-1/2" + the 2" chisels. These chisels have never tasted wood and have been kept inside the house in a chisel roll. Like Joel said, the handles are kind of big. I also have a pair of their skewed chisels in the 3/8" size.

There is nothing wrong with AI. I tried some japanase chisels one day and liked their feel and decided to go in that direction. In fact I am keeping my AI roundback DT chisels because they are good for paring.

If you are interested shoot me a PM and I'll take some pictures and hold off putting them in the Classifieds.

Orlando

Jeff Farris
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
These seem to fit most of your requirements:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/products_id/3819

I have some made to the same German specs that I have had for over 20 years. They're good as new. Take an edge well, hold an edge well, stand up to a mallet and as I remember were pretty well flat when received.

Richard Niemiec
01-20-2010, 5:53 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30028&cat=1,41504,43500&ap=1

These got a good review in the FWW survey in '08. The narex just edged them out IIRC. Not a bad value if you can live with the plastic handles.

Mark Lawrence
01-20-2010, 6:10 PM
I've been very happy with the Pfiel bench chisels I recently purchased. A world of difference fromthe Marples I've had for years.

You can get them from Woodcraft. They're doing free shipping right now. see the post in Deal forum.

David Gendron
01-20-2010, 6:57 PM
vintage socket chisels are, IMO, the best for the money... If you can find good one on auction or tool dealers. I realy like my buck brothers, I have only one, i don't know how old it is, but it takes andedge realy well and last por a long time. the side bevels to a thin strip to meet with the back, the handle is realy confortable, a realy good chisel!

Phillip Pattee
01-20-2010, 7:04 PM
+5 on the Ashley Iles Mk2 chisels. Sean provided you a link to "Tools for Working Wood," but there are some other options available too. You can also get them at "The Best Things" here: http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ashley_iles_bench.htm. You can also get the old style chisel with octagonal handles.

The Mk2 chisels also come in a shorter butt chisel, but they are really about the length of typical Japanese chisels. They are available from "Workshop Heaven" here: http://workshopheaven.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F6739427&rnd=9178586&rrc=N&affl=&cip=24.145.244.96&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=AIButt&catstr=HOME:Chisels

I have the Mk2 butt chisels and am really pleased with them. It won't break the bank and it is a great chisel.

Brian Ashton
01-21-2010, 5:51 AM
+1 on that -- I have the original model and my only gripe is that the handles are too big -- the Mk 2 fixes that issue. Flatten easily and good steel.

I've got the originals also and have found when I moved to a very humid climate the ferrules all busted when the wood expanded. Over all I'm still satisfied with them - they seem to be the chisels I grab the most. Personally I've never found the handles to be too large.

Tri Hoang
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I have the MK II set once and was not very impressed with fit/finish when they first arrived. They required sometime to flatten their backs. Steel is OK not terribly durable. The sides are very narrow, almost sharp - nice for getting into tight places but not very comfortable on the fingers. They are probably better fit for paring and very light chopping. $22-$30/ea

I had a Grizzly Japanese set. These have good steel but fit/finish is a bit below the MK II. Once tuned up, they perform well as bench chisels. They are OK in term of balance/comfort. Sides are thick so they aren't very good with dovetails. Handle/hoops could affect comfort as well. Avg. $13-$18/ea

Nowaday, I mostly use LN A2. Very balance/comfortable. Good steel...they are probably a grade above the MK II. I built up a set of 6-7 overtime, getting one or two as I need them. Expensive set - average $55/ea. They keep their edges well.

I just got a few Matsumura while/blue steel chisels. Very balance and excellent edge durability. Their edges are much more durable than the LN. Still have the handle/hoop problem that some may found uncomfortable. $30-$60/ea

For starter, I'd not get a set of chisels. Get one to see if you like it and get a few more as you need. Over time, you'll have a good set. I rather have a good/small set of really good chisels than a bunch of crappy ones that I don't care to use.

Bob Jones
01-21-2010, 2:09 PM
Thanks for all of the info, now i just have to decide!