PDA

View Full Version : Finish Question

Merle Hidinger
01-19-2010, 8:39 PM
I turned 5 handles for ice cream scoops and screw driver kits last week.
Sanded to 600 grit and then used EEE finish.
On Saturday, I sprayed 3 coats of polyurethane 2 hours apart each time on all the handles, humidity was less than 50% and brought them into house to dry.

Tonight, the 2 bocote handles still feel sticky. However, the 3 black palm handles are dry and were dry in 24 hours.

Any thoughts on why the bocote handles would still feel sticky? What would you suggest to put on them as a top coat.
Thanks,
Chip in DFW
:confused:

Curt Fuller
01-19-2010, 8:48 PM
On the naturally oily woods like Bocote, Cocobolo, and other rosewoods I've had the same experience when using polyurethane. I've never heard of a solution other than not using polyurethane finishes on them. But although the oil keeps the polyurethane from from drying, it also protects the wood and shines up so nice that you don't need much finish other than a good wax and buff.

David E Keller
01-19-2010, 8:49 PM
Bocote can be pretty oily so that may be part of the problem. The palm I've turned was extremely dry.

My only experience with finishing bocote was on pens using CA as a finish... It worked well. A wipe down with acetone helps remove the oil prior to finishing. I don't see why poly wouldn't work but may take longer to dry between coats.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2010, 8:55 PM
I have had good luck with putting a coat or two of dewaxed shellac over bocote and then you can use any other finish you want.

Thom Sturgill
01-19-2010, 9:38 PM
I've had good luck with rattle can lacquer on bocote.

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2010, 9:43 PM
I wipe down any bocote, cocobolo, or any rosewood with acetone. I will put a coat of dewaxed shellac on then spray poly or lacquer with good results.

Merle Hidinger
01-19-2010, 9:50 PM
Gentleman,
You are awesome with your responses. I had never thought of bocote as a dry wood before like rosewood. I will take you advice.

Thanks
Chip