PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to anyone else?

Andy McCormick
01-19-2010, 7:39 PM
I purchased a Grizzly g0562z 3 hp double canister dust collector about 3 months ago. I was using it while I was running my sander and much to my
surprise one of the canisters blew completely off the top of the collector. For a second I didnt know what was going on. After I got every thing shut down I finally realized what happened. I had cleaned it the filter by rotating the flapper a few days ago and didnt have anyidea what i was in store for a few days later. So the collector is up off the ground about 8 feet and when it crashed to the ground it broke the bottom ring and tore some of the mesh wire on the sides. The canister is fastened to the machine by a band that has a over center lever latch with springs. It has approx 5 different notches to choose from. So I called Grizzly customer service to see if they would cover this damage to the cartrige. When I spoke the customer service person he said that the dust collector had collected dust in the cartridge and pushed it off the machine. I kinda chuckled when he was telling me how the filter canisters collected the dust. He said it was 240 bucks. I asked him if it could be covered under the warranty. He said he would get back with me. I told the customer Service rep that if there are 5 notches on the band they need to specify which notch I need to use to secure it to the machine so that even if nobody one cleaned it out it will stay on the machine. Am I crazy for thinking even if the filter cartridge gets filled with dust it should stay on the machine? Knowing what I know now It seems like the canister needs to be fastened with a screw for safety along with the band. Keep in mind that the plastic ring around the canister is more of a hard ridgid plastic. And hind sight is always 20 20 but I did have it in the middle notch on both sides. I feel that I did my job when it was put together. So what do you guys think?

Van Huskey
01-19-2010, 7:56 PM
There IS a point where I would expect the canister to blow off, 3 hp of blower produces a massive volume of air that has to go somewhere. I would have to see the amount of dust inside to make my WAG as to whether it is resonable or not. Now would be a good time to add a prefiltering system!

Mike Goetzke
01-19-2010, 8:06 PM
WOW! That's a first. I had a Jet DC1100 w/canister for about two years. It just had 3 or four bolts that tightened against a rim. There were a few times I even forgot to tighten them and I never had the filter even lift. All I can think of is that if you did a lot of sanding you may have plugged the filters completely. Even though my canister had a clean out flapper I would still take it outside and bang on it and hit it with low pressure air.

Good luck, I'm sure Grizzly will take care of you.

Mike

Andy McCormick
01-19-2010, 8:13 PM
I guess my thinking is that the plastic ring on the canister is not forgiving enough so that the band can grip it on the 3 rd notch but I obvisoulsy I
now know that it needs more than the band.

glenn bradley
01-19-2010, 9:07 PM
Wow, glad no one got crowned during that one. I have a similar band on a couple items. There is a point where to use "that" notch, you would crush something. I generally look for "that" and back off one but, as you say; hind sight and all that.

So, the canister relies on this band clamp for total support? I guess I thought there was something else involved as you put some less than desirable stress on the band area when turning the flapper I would imagine. The idea that the filter has a tenancy to launch if it gets dirty seems like someone talking through their hat at you. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Please keep us informed.

Jim Rimmer
01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't have one of these so it's a little hard to relate. But I looked through the manual on-line and the canister installation instructions are pretty simple:

b.

Place the canister filter on top of the collector

ring.

c.

Position the metal belt clamp around the bottom

of the canister so it evenly compresses against the foam strip (

Figure 17).

I didn't see anything in the troubleshooting section that said what to do if the canister shoots off into the air. Sounds like you followed their instructions so I would expect a little more explanation from CS.

Mitchell Andrus
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Happens to everyone eventually. Fabric bags pop off, seams in plastic bags let loose, canisters levitate.

Belt and suspenders from now on.... Factory strap at the equator, ratchet strap across the north pole.

Andy McCormick
01-20-2010, 8:50 AM
Thats exactly my point JIm. It doesnt say exactly what notch to use. IMO it shouldnt come off at all regardless of how much dust is in it. It a safety issue to me.

Clint Schlosser
01-20-2010, 9:22 AM
I had a similar experience with the 2hp single canister model. I was planing away and instead of completely coming off it just sort of came off half way spraying my parts storage area with dust for about 3 boards until I noticed. It is on the other side of the shop and I was focused on the boards. I will be finiding dust in my screw bins for eons now.

Andy McCormick
01-20-2010, 6:07 PM
Ok well good news. Grizzly called today and they are sending me a new canister free of charge. So I commend Grizzly in there customer service department.:)

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 6:12 PM
Another case of above and beyond for Grizzly CS. Although I don't own any Griz stuff (used to snub my nose at them) I am becoming more and more of a convert. My next replacement is probably a larger BS, I really want a Laguna (have for a long time) but the more I read the more I feel like I would be a fool to wade into Laguna's CS when for half the price I can get a widely regarded 19" BS with great CS.