PDA

View Full Version : kiln drying cherry lumber

Barry Bruner
01-19-2010, 6:09 PM
I took seventeen 16/4 cherry post to a lumber yard to be kiln dryed. He said, it will take a good amount of time to dry it. I called a month later and he said it is going to take a long time. I would like a little bit more of an answer. I realize, that not very many people get this size lumber kiln dryed. He also said, he would not guarantee anything. Does anyone have an idea of what the outcome and how long this might take. Barry Bruner

Scott T Smith
01-19-2010, 6:17 PM
Barry, you're looking at a LONG time for 16/4 boards.

The maximum safe drying rate for wood is based upon it's thickness. 4/4 Cherry has a targeted maximum daily moisture content reduction rate of 7%. 8/4 Cherry is .4 of that rate, or 2.8% max per day. I don't have a chart handy for 16/4, but off of the top of my head I would estimate something like 1/2% per day, or thereabouts. Green wood is in the 50% - 60% MC range, so you'd be looking at 90 - 120 days or more in the kiln, and that's just a SWAG.

The most critical time in the drying process is from green down to 35% MC - that's when the bulk of any damage occurs.

Typically most woods that are 8/4 or thicker are air dried first, primarily due to economics.

Jim King
01-19-2010, 6:55 PM
I agree with Scott. No need to clean the workbench yet. The slower a 16/4 board is dried the better . To much heat, to fast or not the correct air velocity you can have tooth picks. Donīt rush him.

Barry Bruner
01-19-2010, 7:06 PM
Scott, thank you for your reply. My birthday is in April, maybe it will be dry by then. I kept six post to air dry, just in case the others mess up. I suppose it will take four years for those to air dry. Four years from now I might not remember what I got them for. I want to attempt a pie crust table, you notice I said attempt. Barry Bruner

Scott T Smith
01-19-2010, 7:43 PM
Barry, one thing that works in your favor as far as air drying is concerned is that you started the process during the winter. Wood dries more slowly in lower temps, so during the critical early phases you won't have to worry about overdrying.

And, once the posts get down to 25% MC, the drying rate is not as critical and you can speed things up.

Good luck with your projects.

Scott

Jim - thanks for the backup!