PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617evs and PRL v2

Paul Stroik
01-19-2010, 4:57 PM
A question for those who have the Bosch 1617 installed in a PRL v2.

Are offset wrenches or collet extensions required for bit changing above the table?

Steve Wurster
01-19-2010, 6:27 PM
The web page for the lift at Woodpeckers says that offset wrenches are required for the Bosch 1617/1618 and the PC 690.

Rick Markham
05-13-2010, 1:24 AM
This is the setup I am going with, and I realize that this is reviving an old thread. I haven't been able to locate the "offset wrenches" on woodpeckers website. Anyone have any ideas? What are the equivalent of a #16 and #24 wrench, 5/8" and 15/16" respectively?

Randal Stevenson
05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
This is the setup I am going with, and I realize that this is reviving an old thread. I haven't been able to locate the "offset wrenches" on woodpeckers website. Anyone have any ideas? What are the equivalent of a #16 and #24 wrench, 5/8" and 15/16" respectively?
I emailed them a while back. They had them on their site with no buy link. They no longer carry them, but still had the webpage up.

That said, MLCS carries them and lists the wrenches by router model.

Rick Markham
05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Randal! That explains it... I thought my Web-Fu was off

Will Blick
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Peachtree carries them....

I just installed a Milw 5625 in the v2.....nice.... love the soft start and quiet motor..the nicest of all the bodies I have ever used...

bruce buren
05-13-2010, 2:25 PM
yep I got wrenches for my routers from peachtree

Rick Markham
05-19-2010, 1:13 AM
So I just set my table up, thought I would update. PRL V2 in a Benchdog ProMax Cast Iron extension wing for my table saw. Curious thing, I installed my Bosch 1617 EVS motor in the lift and have no problem with bit changes above the table ;) The stock wrenches fit perfectly, I even have room to place an old tshirt between the lift top and the bottom wrench to prevent any scratching of the lift surface. Did they change something, or did I make some sort of "happy/lucky" motor installation misshap. Thing works great. Boy that table top is heavy duty :D

Don Ziolkowski
05-19-2010, 4:04 AM
I'm new here... I've been trying to be quiet and polite, until I get to know the unwritten rules, but your last question is screaming for an answer.

I have that router, and there is no "equivalent" for a #16 and #24 wrench. The collet and shaft (I'm speaking of the outside dimensions, not the collet capacity) are metric. So you're not looking for "equivalent wrenches", you simply need a 16mm and 24mm wrench.

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 4:08 AM
So I just set my table up, thought I would update. PRL V2 in a Benchdog ProMax Cast Iron extension wing for my table saw. Curious thing, I installed my Bosch 1617 EVS motor in the lift and have no problem with bit changes above the table ;) The stock wrenches fit perfectly, I even have room to place an old tshirt between the lift top and the bottom wrench to prevent any scratching of the lift surface. Did they change something, or did I make some sort of "happy/lucky" motor installation misshap. Thing works great. Boy that table top is heavy duty :D

It is a heck of a table. As for the install, you know what they say, better to be lucky than good! :D

Joe Chritz
05-19-2010, 7:17 AM
I'm new here... I've been trying to be quiet and polite, until I get to know the unwritten rules, but your last question is screaming for an answer.

I have that router, and there is no "equivalent" for a #16 and #24 wrench. The collet and shaft (I'm speaking of the outside dimensions, not the collet capacity) are metric. So you're not looking for "equivalent wrenches", you simply need a 16mm and 24mm wrench.

That is true. However, FWIW I like to keep dedicated wrenches on hand for each machine that is frequently changed. Often you can get decent SAE wrenches for dirt cheap and metrics are much much more. At least in the larger sizes I often buy the closest SAE equivalent and adjust them on a belt grinder.

Also all questions need answers so feel free to chime in whenever and welcome.

Joe

Rick Markham
05-19-2010, 8:50 AM
Thanks Don, that indeed still had me wondering. I should have figured they were metric. The thing I did notice about the offset wrenches that MLCS sells, they are 15/16" but not the smaller wrench to hold the shaft. Kinda baffled me in a way, so I didn't order it. LOL guess I don't need it.

Van, typically if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all! So I welcome all the happy/lucky coincidences that happen to me ;)

glenn bradley
05-19-2010, 9:26 AM
Van, typically if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all! So I welcome all the happy/lucky coincidences that happen to me ;)

Enjoy it. That's your one lucky moment for the year :D:D:D. We were probably born under similar signs as far as luck goes.

Will Overton
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Didn't Bosch add above table height adjustment to the 1617 at some point? My older one doesn't have it. If so, they may have also changed it so the bits could be changed above the the table with the standard wrenches.

Just thinking out loud.

Rick Markham
05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I feel ya Glen!

I don't know if Bosch changed anything recently, My 1617EVS is at least 8 years old though, so mine isn't "new" by any means ;)

Van Huskey
05-19-2010, 11:31 PM
That is true. However, FWIW I like to keep dedicated wrenches on hand for each machine that is frequently changed. Often you can get decent SAE wrenches for dirt cheap and metrics are much much more. At least in the larger sizes I often buy the closest SAE equivalent and adjust them on a belt grinder.

Also all questions need answers so feel free to chime in whenever and welcome.

Joe

You can get a 16pc metric open/box set at HF (has both 19 and 24mm) for $20, with a 20% coupon it would be hard to beat.