PDA

View Full Version : What goes around, comes around – a Gloat with a twist

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 3:06 PM
Now that I’m officially out of the military and settled in one location, I’ve been surfing Craigslist often, looking for deals so I can rebuild my workshop without spending a fortune. Last week, fellow SMC’er Jeremy Gibson alerted us all to a SawStop table saw on CL in Colorado Springs. Since I already have a SawStop, I didn’t think much of it…until I started thinking much of it. The guy in Colorado Springs was selling a 5hp SawStop ICS, and my ICS is “only” 3hp. Hmmm. I emailed, and then spoke with John, the seller. In his 70s, his injured back no longer allows him to stand for long periods, so he can’t woodwork anymore. I set up a time to meet him the next day. It was a two-hour drive to the Springs, AND I had to take a day off work. It’s a sickness. I have a sickness.

I found John’s house and met him in his garage. The SawStop looked great, and the price, $2,500, was reasonable considering it came with a 52” fence and table, six extra blades (all Forrest, Freud and DeWalt), three extra standard ZCIs (all uncut), one dado ZCI, one dado brake cartridge, and one extra standard brake cartridge, PLUS an Excalibur SLT40 sliding table. After a brief test-flight, I told him I’d take it at his asking price.

Then I lifted my head and started glancing around his garage shop. LOTS of nice tools and machines. “What are you doing with the rest of your tools?” I asked. “I’m selling all of them, but so far my grandson only had time to post the SawStop. But everything has to go.” Hmmm, again.

So, here comes the twist. I walked to the back of the garage to get a better look at things, and there…there among many beautiful tools…was an ugly plywood box with a drawer, sitting atop a grey metal stand. I pointed at it, pursing my lips, and then said, “You know, I lived here in Colorado Springs seven years ago. When I got an assignment overseas, I had to sell my entire workshop. I sold the whole shop to one guy. That wood and metal stand right there—that’s from my old shop! I built that!” Suddenly, John recognized me, and I recognized him. “That was me!” he said. And now I started to see other things in his shop that I had built. A crude router table and fence, a plywood cutoff bin on cheap casters. I had to take a minute to gather myself as I dealt with the coincidence and nostalgia together.

Most of the tools I’d sold him seven years ago were long gone—upgraded to bigger and better, like the SawStop. John, a retired Air Force Colonel, has an eye for fine tools, the best he could buy. All were in near new condition, either very well-cared-for or never used at all. They were all around me, and all for sale! When he’d bought my entire shop in 2003, I was desperate to sell quickly, so John got an incredible price from me. I always felt like I’d undersold. So, as John himself said at this point, “What goes around, comes around, I guess.” Indeed. How good would this deal be? I’d dreamt about opportunities like this! I knew other Craigslist-savvy woodworkers were fast on my heals. In fact, another guy was coming over to look in a couple hours. I had to move quickly!

I’ll refrain from boring you with the details of the negotiations and just tell about the deals John gave me:

$2,500 – SawStop and accessories already mentioned above (near new condition)
$200 -- Akeda Jig w/ full accessory kit + four Whiteside router bits (new in box)
$150 -- Porter Cable 7518 3-1/4hp router and base (lightly used)
$200 -- Turbinaire MiniPro HVLP sprayer, hose and gun + accessories (new in box)
$280 -- Powermatic 719A floor standing mortiser w/10 chisels (brand new + NIB chisels), plus mobile base
$400 -- Lie-Nielsen planes (#8 Jointer Plane, #4 1/2 smoother, Cabinet Scraper Plane, Rabbit Block Plane, Model Makers Plane, Bogg's Spokeshave, Phiel Drawknife, 4 SackUps plane socks) -- all brand new condition, never touched wood
$70 -- Bessey clamps, 2 x 31”, 2 x 40” (no signs of use)
$20 -- Starrett 6” Combination Square (NIB)
$30 -- A-Line-It Jig, the deluxe version (NIB)
$240 -- Wood (300 linear feet of 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4 curly and quartersawn cherry, quartersawn white oak, black walnut, mahogany, red oak, quilted maple, birdseye maple, etc. All boards still have the Woodcraft stickers on them. Many are 10-14” wide.)
Free -- DeWalt DW618B3 2-1/4hp router kit w/three bases (slightly used)
Free -- the junky, but nostalgic stand and cutoff bin (with some nice exotic cutoffs)

During the drive home I was still shaking a little from the adrenaline and excitement. The inside of my car sounded like it was full of tin cans as different metal items rattled lightly against each other (except, of course, all things Lie-Nielsen, which were carefully wrapped in towels!). I ended up spending a lot of money that day, but I bought great tools that I eventually wanted to buy anyway, at some incredibly low prices. Pretty good deals, yes? Only happened because I chose to join this awesome forum! Thank you Jeremy!!!! (and thank you, John!)

I'll attach the rest of the pics below.

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 3:07 PM

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 3:09 PM

Josh Rudolph
01-19-2010, 3:13 PM
WOW! You definitely suck! :D

Those are some awesome tools at awesome prices. I can only dream to be so lucky one day.

Dave Lehnert
01-19-2010, 3:15 PM
Thats it, I'm turning off the computer now. :(

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Victor Robinson
01-19-2010, 3:15 PM
Pretty sure you're the frontrunner for gloat of the year, though 2010 is still young. :)

Wow, what a crazy world. Congrats on the new toolage!

Richard Dragin
01-19-2010, 3:23 PM
THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

What a great deal, coincidence, story and post! You really suck for the deal but the rest, not so much.

Callan Campbell
01-19-2010, 3:25 PM
WELL, not much that I could add to your good fortune, except, thanks for sharing, enjoy all of it, and go play the Lotto right now;););). It's a rare day when it all 'aligns' for you.

Harold Burrell
01-19-2010, 3:27 PM
You know, "You Suck" just doesn't seem to be big enough for this...

;)

Jeremy Gibson
01-19-2010, 3:33 PM
Chris,

I was wondering what happened to that SawStop - glad it ended up in a good home. Now you have to figure out who to donate that under-powered 3HP SawStop to *cough*.

Ben Abate
01-19-2010, 3:36 PM
Jeremy,

Now that's a good story. That No. 8 is worth what you paid for the lot. wow. Always wanted one of those. Maybe I'll find a guy like John one day.

best wishes on your new tools
Ben

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 3:39 PM
Jeremy,
Thanks again, sir! Yeah, so now my tiny shop is cluttered up with SawStops! :) I'll be selling it this weekend, but at a much more rational price...
--Chris

Tony De Masi
01-19-2010, 4:12 PM
Well, although I am happy that you were able to get a great deal on all those wonderful tools I feel somewhat sad for "John". A man/woman and their tools having to part is just sad to me. With that said, remember where you got them and take care of them.

Tony

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 4:55 PM
Hi Tony,
I agree with you. I was that person seven years ago, giving up my tools, so I pretty much remember how it feels. Except for John it's worse because he'll never be able to come back to it. We talked about that and I apologized to him for my excitement, knowing that he was NOT feeling happy. His wife liked that the tools were going back to me, since he started his woodworking hobby after buying my tools in the first place. He also said he liked that they were going to a former Air Force guy, FWIW. Thanks for recognizing the under-story.
Chris

Richard Andersen
01-19-2010, 5:02 PM
Jeremy,
Thanks again, sir! Yeah, so now my tiny shop is cluttered up with SawStops! :) I'll be selling it this weekend, but at a much more rational price...
--Chris

Chris, sent you a PM.

Bruce Page
01-19-2010, 5:10 PM
Wow! All great deals!
It pays to Pay it Forward!

Chip Lindley
01-19-2010, 5:16 PM
Your story is very touching Chris! I know your shop will have a special significance to you after this experience. I have no doubt some truly inspired woodworking will follow! Best of Luck!

Stephen Edwards
01-19-2010, 6:00 PM
The gloat is wonderful. Even better is the story behind the gloat. Congratulations on your new tools and thanks so much for sharing this touching story with the rest of us!

Very Best Wishes,

Tony De Masi
01-19-2010, 6:28 PM
Chris, you stated it much better than I did. It's one thing selling everything off knowing that at a later time in life you will pursue the hobby again. But selling because you just can't peform the hobby anymore, that's the sad part I was referring to.

Tony

Abi Parris
01-19-2010, 7:10 PM
I may be overly sentimental (and I'm not implying you should), but I'd make him something with those tools!

Thanks for sharing the backstory and enjoy the gloat.

Greg Wittler
01-19-2010, 7:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, that has got to be the best story and best gloat I have read in a long time.

Mike Cruz
01-19-2010, 7:49 PM
Great story. Glad to hear it. Congrats on all the deals. I bet that guy is as happy as you...well, not quite as happy, but happy that YOU got it all...

Randy Klein
01-19-2010, 7:51 PM
Chris,

I know what it feels like having to downsize due to a military move. I just had to do that very thing, sold off the power tools. Awesome that you got a great deal and just ironic you bought from the same guy who bought from you.

Chris Nolin
01-19-2010, 8:59 PM
Randy,
Sorry to hear you had to sell your tools. Someday, if it's important to you, you'll find a way to enjoy this hobby again! Good luck to you!
Chris

Randy Klein
01-19-2010, 9:03 PM
Randy,
Sorry to hear you had to sell your tools. Someday, if it's important to you, you'll find a way to enjoy this hobby again! Good luck to you!
Chris

Well, just the larger power tools. I still have all my hand tools so the hobby is still in full swing, just not a powered swing...

Scott Wichman
01-19-2010, 9:34 PM
Great gloat.

Thanks for your service to the country.

Adam Strong
01-19-2010, 9:48 PM
This has got to be the best gloat story I have seen on SMC. Awesome!

and

YOU SUCK! :D

Enjoy the new to you toys.

Mitchell Andrus
01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
First congratulations, and you suck.

My uncle sold a wooden boat dated from the 50's in 1975 when he took a work assignment and moved. Too much trouble to store or move this really great work of art... too bad but it had to go.

18 years later he moved back to the shore area and in a new house, married with kids. He's hankering to get onto the water again and looks for another boat. The first boat he looks at is his old hole in the water. He was the first person to answer the ad placed by the guy he had sold it to.
It needed some work, but he did buy it back.

Don Orr
01-20-2010, 9:32 AM
Good karma right there. Small world, getting smaller all the time.

I also think a small hand-made gift to John is in order. He sure did good by you.

Real nice haul.

And thanks for your (and his) service to our country.

Thomas Pender
01-20-2010, 9:56 AM
I am in awe of your luck. Just think what would have happened if you had not taken the day off - nothing. I think, without any doubt, this is the best gloat I have ever read. What is more, it looks like it happened in such a way that no one was taken advantage of. Congratulations!

BTW - I love my Akeda jig, you will too. The mortiser, sprayer, planes, etc., have put you in the position of probably having nearly everything you will ever need.

Roy Wall
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Chris --

Like many others have mentioned.......this is certainly one of the best 'gloats' every posted -- unbelievable!!! LN goods for about 80% off retail, Akeda Jig for half off, Sawstop at a great price........free tools worth hundreds of dollars.......

WOW!!!

Congrats and enjoy -- it is a great story for both of you.

Chris Nolin
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Mitchell, I loved the story of the old boat returned to it's maker! Thanks for that! My old shop items were the very first things I ever built as a woodworker, so it's nice to have them home again.

Also like the idea several of you mentioned about making something special for John, using his tools. I think I can do it in a way that shows the respect I have for him and for the tools themselves.

Thanks to all!

Chris

Brent Ring
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Thats it, I'm turning off the computer now. :(

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

$280 for a PM Floor Mortiser !!!!????!!!!!:eek:

$2500 for the Sawstop????!!!!!?????:eek:

+1 on the photo aboove!

(Congratulations too! :D)

Bill White
01-20-2010, 6:11 PM
You ain't gettin' on my old fa-t mailin' list. You're too cheap. (To self: Lucky dog......) :D
Bill

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 6:26 PM
Dunno what to say besides:

YOU SUCK!

Enjoy the new tools!

mreza Salav
01-20-2010, 6:58 PM
Those are some crazy numbers!!
I feel sorry for that guy who had to part with those tools AT THOSE PRICES!!

How could you sleep at night?! :D

Yeah... I can imagine the excitement in taking them home.

Thomas Marr
01-20-2010, 7:23 PM
First Gloat I've read that didn't make me mad. :D Karma is a good thing.

tyler mckenzie
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Great story! Did you get any of your benches and router table back?

Chris Nolin
01-21-2010, 10:30 AM
No, Tyler, he had since upgraded to a Sjoberg bench. The router table was originally built as a table saw extension, but he'd modified it to fit on top of a cabinet, which didn't work for my small shop. But I did get that old drill press stand (the one with the drawer) and cutoff bin back.

glenn bradley
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
It took me a while to get around to reading this one; what a great story. Congrats.

Noah Bledstein
01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
You know when you are a woodworking / tool addict when you start buying tools to move your tools. I'm still active duty and have moved my shop seven times. Since my cast iron collection has slowly grown to exceed our weight limit we have started moving ourselves using ABF Frieght trailers (no connection to the company.) Two ABF trailers (29') equal the volume of one regular length moving truck and the weight moved does not affect the price. The Air Force will pay for us to move up to our maximum weight allowance (90% of what they pay a moving company.) In order to make the next move easier I recently ordered the Jet JHS-2200 stacker, a one ton manual forklift and a toe jack (CPO Jet has a good sale right now.) It wasn't cheap, but pulling the heavy equipment up the ramp to the trailer can be scary and we figure in the long run the stacker was cheaper than selling quality tools to avoid moving them. As an added benefit, now I know how I will lift my cabinet saw onto the mobile base....

Chris Nolin
01-21-2010, 7:30 PM
Okay Noah, you're sickness is worse than mine! :o I used that self-pack company every time I moved. It's the way to go if you don't mind packing and moving yourself. Made quite a bit of money for my efforts. But it doesn't work for overseas moves, of course. In 2003, I figured there was a VERY slim chance of setting up a woodworking shop in Africa!