PDA

View Full Version : Your input on planer purchase

Victor Robinson
01-19-2010, 2:53 PM
Since I scrapped plans for the 8" benchtop J/P combo machine after finding the Ridgid jointer on clearance, I'll need to pick up a benchtop planer.

I'm considering the Ridgid ($370) and the Dewalt 734 ($400). Of course if I can find a used one that would be ideal, but we'll see.

Any thoughts between these two models or others I should consider?

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-19-2010, 2:57 PM
Since I scrapped plans for the 8" benchtop J/P combo machine after finding the Ridgid jointer on clearance, I'll need to pick up a benchtop planer.

I'm considering the Ridgid ($370) and the Dewalt 734 ($400). Of course if I can find a used one that would be ideal, but we'll see.

Any thoughts between these two models or others I should consider?

Wood magazine just had a review of planers. I believe both the Ridgid and Dewalt 734 scored very well. The Makita also did very well, and the DW735 scored really well but is probably the most expensive.

Their ratings:
Top Value: Ridgid R4330 ($370) and Craftsman 21758 ($280)
Top Tool: Dewalt DW735 ($650), Makita 2012NB ($530)

Shawn Christ
01-19-2010, 3:07 PM
Wood magazine's review was a good one.

I bought a reconditioned DeWalt DW735 through Toolking a couple years ago and it was as good as new. They have a recon DW735 listed for $499 at http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dw735r-factory-reconditioned-13-inch-planer

If you want used, check eBay or keep an eye on the Creek's classifieds or Craigslist.

Glen Butler
01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Tool reviews favor the brand that pays more in advertising dollars. I don't trust them. I own a ton of Ridgid tools because they have better engineering, better functionality, and feel more solid than most other options. I cannot speak for the Ridgid planer, but I definitely think it is worth your consideration.

Van Huskey
01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Tool reviews favor the brand that pays more in advertising dollars. I don't trust them. I own a ton of Ridgid tools because they have better engineering, better functionality, and feel more solid than most other options. I cannot speak for the Ridgid planer, but I definitely think it is worth your consideration.

I heard this for years about car magazines for YEARS particularly with BMW and their complete domination with their 3 series/M3 product line. I spent quite a few hours with my tons of back issues of all the car rags and although it was impossible for me to know exactly what each manufacturer paid for full color at different places it became clear BMW likely didn't spend near what the Japanese big three spent and certainly not what the American big three did. Given the fact that Porsche nor BMW had the money to come near those other 6 (except maybe Honda) in ad dollars it became clear that the magazine testers probably did think that BMW did make a superior product in that sector.

Although, I have seen tool reviews that I did not agree with the fact that FWW's top tool almost always aligns with the Readers Choice (if not their first usually one that finished VERY high) allows be to drop any cynasism that I naturally have. I have never seen what I (by my own experience, and not just with a single bad apple) think to be a truely crappy tool end up at the top of ANY magazines test list.

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
If you don't want to pop for the Dewalt 735 I would get the Rigid over the 734 because from what I have seen the Rigid s just as good and the lifetime service agreement makes it a heck of a deal.

Glen Butler
01-20-2010, 1:14 AM
Although, I have seen tool reviews that I did not agree with the fact that FWW's top tool almost always aligns with the Readers Choice (if not their first usually one that finished VERY high) allows be to drop any cynasism that I naturally have. I have never seen what I (by my own experience, and not just with a single bad apple) think to be a truely crappy tool end up at the top of ANY magazines test list.
Note that I said "favors." They will intentionally leave out a model that would surpass the top choice if reviewed or value certain aspects of a model more heavily. Surely readers would catch on to blatant disregard for facts in the review, but it makes sense that a magazine would want to cater to a brand that gives them more advertising dollars or they are biting the hand that feeds.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-20-2010, 8:21 AM
They will intentionally leave out a model that would surpass the top choice if reviewed or value certain aspects of a model more heavily.

That's what SMC is for - to keep them honest! :)

In retrospect, the only one on that list that surprised me was the Craftsman. I have seen many good comments about the Dewalts, the Ridgid, and the Makita - so in that regard, it seemed to match up well with a lot of 'real world feedback'.

Their review seemed to be pretty well thought out - measuring snipe, features, etc. They also rightfully point out that the DW735 really requires the optional infeed/outfeed tables to make it a top performer (I believe it would have ended in the middle of the pack w/out them, due to the increased snipe). An auto-carriage lock rated important, as the DW734 performed well but got rated lower because it's a manual lock.

I think if you get any on that list you'll be pleased.

Joe Von Kaenel
01-20-2010, 9:40 AM
Victor,

Tool Critic has pretty straight forward reviews on many power tools.

Hope this helps. http://www.toolcritic.com/

Joe

Bob Haskett
01-20-2010, 9:48 AM
I am currently between those exact two models. I am leaning toward the 734. In the FWW review if you read the PDF there is a section to show what grades each planer got for each "test". The 734 got overall better scores (more A's, no C's). I am not saying the ridgid is a bad planer, I have the R4511 and love it and MANY people here have the r4330 and love it, but with this one I think I am going with the Dewalt. Honestly though, like JohnT said, I do not think you would be unhappy with either planer.