PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Grizzly Drill Press?

John M Bailey
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I had planned to upgrade from a HF drill press, and was looking at Delta, but when I heard from Grizzly about a new drill press, I decided to hold off until it came out. Any ideas how much longer I have to wait? I use my drill press quite a bit for wood and drilling metal a little.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
IIRC....Shiraz said 1st quarter 2010....but be aware...for new products those type of dates are often estimates..and rough at best. Sometimes in product development.....then to the production floor......and marketing....stuff happens and it takes longer than estimated.

scott vroom
01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Below is a quote from Shiraz from Oct 2009 regarding the new Griz DP for woodworkers. I wouldn't count on Q1 for the new DP; IIRC in a separate email he indicated Fall 2010 earliest. Maybe he can add an update to this thread.

""There is one in the works, but many months away. There are larger projects ahead of it. We have a pretty good selection now, but none have everything you want in one. I, personally, like the ones with crossfeed tables on them. Have a couple in both my metal and woodworking shops at home, but neither are variable speed. I just deal with the pulleys when needed."

Danny Burns
01-19-2010, 2:22 PM
I've heard about Delta bringing out a new DP soon as well, so it looks like you will have to wait if you want something new.

Van Huskey
01-19-2010, 2:37 PM
What all do you want in a DP, Jet/PM have their new "wood work" DPs out and I plan to get the Jet if nothing else pops up in the mean time.

Cliff Holmes
01-19-2010, 3:30 PM
Jet/PM have their new "wood work" DPs out

I checked out the PM2800, ready to buy it, a few months ago. I was disappointed in the high minimum speed, the VS mechanism, and the general feel of it.

Then I was all ready to buy the Delta 20" VS DP, but then it disappeared.

My 35 year old Craftsman is getting pretty decrepit, I'd sure like to find something soon.

Callan Campbell
01-19-2010, 3:42 PM
What all do you want in a DP, Jet/PM have their new "wood work" DPs out and I plan to get the Jet if nothing else pops up in the mean time.
I too have held back buying a new DP tp replaced my older Jet floor model. What I want is the newer poly rib belt set-up, it's way easier to quickly coax these belts out of their pulleys than the V-belts. I tried the Steel City model at a local store, this belt arrangement means most of us would actually move the belts around to use the best speed for what ever we're drilling ,instead of living with it :rolleyes:
I also had the same feelings about the various VS models out there, too fast of a "low" speed for me as I have some tenon cutters that really like 300 RPM or less and the 500RPM low speed that seems standard for the variable speed drill presses wouldn't do it for me.
Other than that, does anyone know if the Jet 17" model comes with the older V-belts or is the new small ribbed/polybelt arrangement?

Cliff Holmes
01-19-2010, 3:53 PM
I also had the same feelings about the various VS models out there, too fast of a "low" speed for me as I have some tenon cutters that really like 300 RPM or less

Yes, exactly. I have some large Forstner bits that really need <250 and the PM bottomed out at 400. The now-discontinued Delta went down to 200. I'm not sure why is disappeared, I heard some vague rumors about quality control issues.

Mike Reinholtz
01-19-2010, 5:08 PM
I'm in the market for a larger DP as well and was looking at the Delta 20" until it went away. I had heard it was due to various problems including the digital depth readout. I really hope that's not what kept it from market, my little 12" Craftsman has a digital readout that works fantastic.

I have been checking out the Rikon 30-240 20" unit, it goes down to 150 RPM but isn't variable speed- which is something I was hoping to get. If I have to pick between a lower low speed and variable, I think the lower speed would win for me. It also comes with a 1 hp motor, which is appealing. The spindle travel is 4 3/4" vs the discontinued Delta had I believe 6" of travel. Looks like a pretty solid unit.

I've checked out the Grizzly 20" from time to time, but always come back to the same shortfalls. Maybe their new one will be the one.

I really wish something was still made in the USA...

Steve Kohn
01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Add me to the list with an older Delta drillpress looking for a replacement.

Like others mentioned I would like variable speed, low end under 200 RPM, and longer quill travel. Digital readouts, lasers, and larger tables would also be nice.

I was also seriously looking at the Delta when it went belly up. I will probably pull the trigger on the first new model that meets the requirements. I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Van Huskey
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I too have held back buying a new DP tp replaced my older Jet floor model. What I want is the newer poly rib belt set-up, it's way easier to quickly coax these belts out of their pulleys than the V-belts. I tried the Steel City model at a local store, this belt arrangement means most of us would actually move the belts around to use the best speed for what ever we're drilling ,instead of living with it :rolleyes:
I also had the same feelings about the various VS models out there, too fast of a "low" speed for me as I have some tenon cutters that really like 300 RPM or less and the 500RPM low speed that seems standard for the variable speed drill presses wouldn't do it for me.
Other than that, does anyone know if the Jet 17" model comes with the older V-belts or is the new small ribbed/polybelt arrangement?

Poly V belt with 230 RPM low speed, along with the table are the reaons the Jet are #1 on my list right now.

Callan Campbell
01-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Poly V belt with 230 RPM low speed, along with the table are the reaons the Jet are #1 on my list right now.

Wow, thanks for the info. As always, no one at any of my local stores ever has floor drill presses set-up to look at except for the Powermatic model.[wonder why that is]:rolleyes:
The one Steel City DP that I looked at was gone the next time and the store never put another one back out on the floor. The new Jet sounds like what I'm looking for, I don't really need a digital read-out or lasers, although a larger table is nice with a flatter lip on the outer edge.
I almost bought the 20" Delta that Hydraflow Equipment had at the Woodworking Show. They wanted $695 or something like that[I forget the price] But, a bit too tall for my basement ceiling:(

Van Huskey
01-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. As always, no one at any of my local stores ever has floor drill presses set-up to look at except for the Powermatic model.[wonder why that is]:rolleyes:
The one Steel City DP that I looked at was gone the next time and the store never put another one back out on the floor. The new Jet sounds like what I'm looking for, I don't really need a digital read-out or lasers, although a larger table is nice with a flatter lip on the outer edge.
I almost bought the 20" Delta that Hydraflow Equipment had at the Woodworking Show. They wanted $695 or something like that[I forget the price] But, a bit too tall for my basement ceiling:(

The Jet is new enough all the retailers are holding tight to the "MAPP" I am waiting until there is at least some movement would love to get it at 4 but 450 delivered to my door with no tax will satisfy me.

Danny Burns
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Can you give the new model number of the Jet drill presses.
Thanks

Paul Ryan
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Can you give the new model number of the Jet drill presses.
Thanks

The new jet model is the JDP-17DX. I have had it for about 6 months. It does have the serpintine belts and they are simple as heck to change. I was really wanting a VS before I bought this one. But since the belts are so easy to change I dont mind at all. The laser is a real nice feature it acually works. It doesn't loose calibration when the table is moved. Mine came calibarated dead on from the factory, and I have used it extensivly. It isn't a cheap gimik like some of the add on lasers are.

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 6:08 PM
The new jet model is the JDP-17DX. I have had it for about 6 months. It does have the serpintine belts and they are simple as heck to change. I was really wanting a VS before I bought this one. But since the belts are so easy to change I dont mind at all. The laser is a real nice feature it acually works. It doesn't loose calibration when the table is moved. Mine came calibarated dead on from the factory, and I have used it extensivly. It isn't a cheap gimik like some of the add on lasers are.

I wanted VS also and really liked the PM but the lowest speed was 400 rpm, with the Jet going down to 230 (or 200 I have seen both specs) and with the lasers and large flat edged table with T tracks I am sold on the Jet even with only 3/4hp vs the 1hp in the PM2800.

Mike Reinholtz
01-20-2010, 7:23 PM
Has anyone checked out this Jet model? It has a 1.5hp motor and goes down to 150 RPM. It's not a variable speed machine, has 12 speeds. Found it online for $750.

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 7:28 PM
Has anyone checked out this Jet model? It has a 1.5hp motor and goes down to 150 RPM. It's not a variable speed machine, has 12 speeds. Found it online for $750.

Tools Plus has it for $699 with 6.50 shipping. It is a solid drill press but not aimed at the wood worker like the PM2800 and the Jet previously mentioned. It is more of a metal DP which almost everyone out there is except for the Jet and PM being discussed here but WWers have been using metal drill presses for years and years.

Mike Reinholtz
01-20-2010, 7:33 PM
Van- Thanks, I didn't know that model was geared more towards metal working, hadn't even thought of it. Guess it makes sense with that big of a motor. Would be great for spinning big forstner bits...

not trying to hijack the thread.

Will Rowland
01-20-2010, 7:45 PM
I think it will be really interesting to see if Grizzly can actually bring a VS drill press to the market at an "affordable" cost.

Delta apparently couldn't do it with the 20-950, and, IMHO, Powermatic skimped a bit on the fit-and-finish with their $900 PM2800. Also, I'm not sure one of Steel City's VS presses ever actually made it off their webpage (and its min speed was 500 rpm).

Interestingly, Delta still markets 15" VS drill presses to industrial users - the 15-3xx series - and they sell through discounters for $3500+.

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 7:53 PM
Van- Thanks, I didn't know that model was geared more towards metal working, hadn't even thought of it. Guess it makes sense with that big of a motor. Would be great for spinning big forstner bits...

not trying to hijack the thread.

Again all the DPs I am aware of are really metal oriented, Jet/PM just realized the niche and decided to fill it. In the end a supplemental table does pretty much everything the PM/Jet do for a woodworker just runs around $100 more or less depending on the source. I just like the fact they give it to you in the package.

Mike Reinholtz
01-20-2010, 8:48 PM
Tools Plus has it for $699 with 6.50 shipping.

I checked their website and found it for $750, is that with a coupon code or a sale I missed?

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 8:51 PM
I checked their website and found it for $750, is that with a coupon code or a sale I missed?

You have to put it in your cart, $750 is the MAPP, they "can't" show it lower until it is in the cart, shows $699 in the cart.

Sean Nagle
01-20-2010, 9:45 PM
I have been looking for a variable-speed drill press to replace my old Delta for quite some time. One model that I ran across but never have seen much written about is the General International 75-700M1 17" Electronic Variable Speed Drill Press. It sure seems to be the closest thing to woodworking nirvana from its specs. At $1700, it's quite pricey. maybe that's why it isn't discussed at all.

By the way, Tool Zone is the only retailer I've found that lists it.
http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/Tool_Zone_Catalog_Drill_Presses_2356.html

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 9:49 PM
I have been looking for a variable-speed drill press to replace my old Delta for quite some time. One model that I ran across but never have seen much written about is the General International 75-700M1 17" Electronic Variable Speed Drill Press. It sure seems to be the closest thing to woodworking nirvana from its specs. At $1700, it's quite pricey. maybe that's why it isn't discussed at all.

By the way, Tool Zone is the only retailer I've found that lists it.
http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/Tool_Zone_Catalog_Drill_Presses_2356.html

Other than the expense the table isn't very wood work frendly (no less than most DPs) and the 280 rpm is still a wee bit fast for me, want something under 250 at most preferably 200.

Mike Reinholtz
01-20-2010, 9:53 PM
I just checked the Delta website and the 20" variable speed machine is back up there. I had looked previously and for a while it was gone. Anyone think this might be a sign of hope? Maybe they worked the bugs out?

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15684

scott vroom
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
CPO Delta is advertising it for $799. This seems to be a good deal if the DP is as good as many posters claim.

http://www.cpowoodworking.com/drilling_machines/drill_presses/variable_speed_drill_presses/20-950.html?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=CODX0da1tJ8CFSgFagodL3Q3lw&keyword=delta%2020%20950

Mikail Khan
01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I am also waiting to see what Grizzly is coming out with.

For anyone interested Toolzone has the JDP-17DX for $518 shipped.

link (http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/Tool_Zone_Catalog_16____Larger_3682.html#aWMH35417 3)

MK

Van Huskey
01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
I am also waiting to see what Grizzly is coming out with.

For anyone interested Toolzone has the JDP-17DX for $518 shipped.

link (http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/Tool_Zone_Catalog_16____Larger_3682.html#aWMH35417 3)

MK

About $10 cheaper at Tools-plus.

The big Delta is a darn good DP as well excellent wood working table and slow speed just dunno if I can get $800 use out of a DP.

Paul Ryan
01-21-2010, 11:15 PM
If you guys are patient toolzone often has free shipping sales on powermatic and jet tools frequently.

Mike Reinholtz
01-22-2010, 1:07 AM
I'm still torn, not sure what to do. After getting a few old tools the last couple months and fully restoring them (1948 Unisaw, 1951 Delta Shaper, and 50s RAS), I'm not sure if I want to look for an old machine, get something now, or wait to see what the Grizzly might have. I really hope this new thing from Grizzly is something wonderful... anyone heard any rumors or hints about it?

kenneth kayser
01-22-2010, 2:47 AM
My Jet 20" goes 150 - 4000 RPM. 1.5 HP motor. Large table. Huge quill. No name but very true running 3/4" chuck. Now the cons: quill travel is only 4 3/4", no quill lock, no speed nut on depth gauge. Standard V belts.

At 150 RPM, this tool is a beast. I put my old Jacobs 1/2" chuck on and the press twisted the Jacobs taper out of the chuck, ruining both. For daily work I use a 1/2" Albrecht keyless. Albrecht guarantees that if you use their adapters, they will repair any damage done by twisting out. When I really want to haul ass, so to speak, I install the 3/4" chuck.

If you find the exact DP you want except that the lowest speed is too high, consider a 6 pole motor with one step less HP. This will take 300 RPM down to 200 RPM and keep the same torque. Of course, your top speed will drop proportionally. Two speed motors in the 1HP range are fairly common. I ran across one and put it on my belt sander. The slower speed is much better for rough sharpening chisels, planes, etc.

Cliff Holmes
01-22-2010, 7:11 AM
CPO Delta is advertising it for $799 ... http://www.cpowoodworking.com/drilling_machines/drill_presses/variable_speed_drill_presses/20-950.html?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=CODX0da1tJ8CFSgFagodL3Q3lw&keyword=delta%2020%20950

I think that's just an orphan page that's left over from when they carried it, nothing on their site seems to link to it.

Paul Ryan
01-22-2010, 9:06 AM
I'm still torn, not sure what to do. After getting a few old tools the last couple months and fully restoring them (1948 Unisaw, 1951 Delta Shaper, and 50s RAS), I'm not sure if I want to look for an old machine, get something now, or wait to see what the Grizzly might have. I really hope this new thing from Grizzly is something wonderful... anyone heard any rumors or hints about it?

Guys,

No one has asked my opinion on my new Jet drill press, but after reading this post I will add my .02 about new drill presses. If I had it to do over again I would not buy the Jet, if you want to read why, search for jet drill press, jet 17dx, or JDP-17DX. If I had $$ to spend on a new drill press it would not be a grizzly, jet, delta, powermatic, ridgid, steel city, or any other import drill press. I would look long and hard and settle for oldie but a goodie. A clausing, walker turner, old delta, any thing over 30years old. Those are machines with a little TLC will be 100 times the machines that are produced today. The quality control and machining that is done on todays machines is horse crap. I haven't tested $2500+ machines they might be better, but I dont think anyone here is talking about buying one of those.

Cliff Holmes
01-22-2010, 9:18 AM
A clausing, walker turner, old delta, any thing over 30years old

I'd love to pick up something like that, but they're just not to be found around these parts. Except once, there was a Clausing VS drill that was just a shell, missing many parts, and the guy *still* wanted (and got) $1200 for it.

Curt Harms
01-22-2010, 2:27 PM
If you find the exact DP you want except that the lowest speed is too high, consider a 6 pole motor with one step less HP. This will take 300 RPM down to 200 RPM and keep the same torque. Of course, your top speed will drop proportionally. Two speed motors in the 1HP range are fairly common. I ran across one and put it on my belt sander. The slower speed is much better for rough sharpening chisels, planes, etc.

I've wanted to play with one of these VFD's (http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.197/.f) if I could find a used 3 phase motor cheap. Maybe keep the step pulley just to be able to run the motor at a higher motor speed and gear it down, so to speak. From what I know of VFD's, haven't used one, that'd be a fun toy.

Chris Friesen
01-22-2010, 4:29 PM
Something to consider...with a standard pulley setup as the bit speed gets lower the available torque increases by the same ratio. This can be useful in spinning big bits.

This is generally not the case with electronic variable speed...torque is either roughly constant or else it drops with lower speed.

Van Huskey
01-22-2010, 4:59 PM
Something to consider...with a standard pulley setup as the bit speed gets lower the available torque increases by the same ratio. This can be useful in spinning big bits.

This is generally not the case with electronic variable speed...torque is either roughly constant or else it drops with lower speed.

This is an excellent point since one of the reasons for lower speeds is to run huge forstners.

Mike Reinholtz
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I run a VFD on an old Delta Rockwell 3ph shaper I restored and have never been short on torque. I know some people don't like the "hassle" of changing speeds with belts, but there could be a compromise between switching belts (for added torque) and adjusting the VFD. Or maybe this is me really reaching...

I found a couple older drill presses on CL, but most are 15" and I was really looking for something closer to 20". I've been watching for an older 3 phase but nothing has come up. The other thing I noticed about older machines is not all have the travel I am looking for, that Delta with 6" of travel is really appealing. Maybe they do have the bugs worked out, $800 is pretty high but if it works as advertised I might jump on it. Wish there was one local I could check out.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry just realized I have been getting further and further from the rumored Grizzly.

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 2:49 PM
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/drilling_machines/drill_presses/variable_speed_drill_presses/20-950.html?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=CODX0da1tJ8CFSgFagodL3Q3lw&keyword=delta%2020%20950

I checked with CPO. As I thought, it's been discontinued, that page is just hanging out there.

Mr. Jeff Smith
04-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Anyone hear any news regarding the fabled Grizzly WWing DP?