PDA

View Full Version : V Panel Tongue and Groove Questions

Jim Eller
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I am planning on making some chest using tongue and groove with the "V" in the joint. My questions are:

1- Any suggestions on which router bit set to buy. I see the Whiteside is about $40 cheaper than the Freud. Others??

I realize this can be done on a table saw but don't know if there are any pros or cons.

2- When using posts at the corners and running the panels vertically, how do you keep from having a gap at the posts as the material goes through it normal movement? I believe the panels are not glued and the ends where they would meet the corners are not recessed into the post??

3- Is there any concerns with running the panels horizontally and using dovetails at the corners with V-panels? Other than having a V in the middle of a joint.

All suggestions and especially pictures welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Jim, I made mine on a shaper so I can't help with your router bit selection.

I normally put a dab of glue in the center of the piece, at the top and bottom where it sits in the grooves.

I space them carefully with a shim so that they'll expand and contract properly, without showing gaps.

I guess if you had a pin nailer you could pop a nail in the center, if it could be hidden in the back.

regards, Rod.

Tim Elder
01-19-2010, 3:43 PM
Jim,

I am about to make some v tongue and groove planks to match some existing siding on my house. Afraid that I might bugger up the bits in the process or that I'd never use them again, I figured I'd get the cheapest ones I could find:

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/vp16-4007/clearance

You may have come across these already but I thought I'd give you a head's up. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

-tim

Jim Eller
01-19-2010, 6:47 PM
Thanks Rod and Tim.

What about questions 2, where the panel meets the corner posts? And 3

Jim

Josiah Bartlett
01-20-2010, 6:32 PM
Just put a dado in the corner post for the end piece to sit in and don't machine the edge. This will still allow for expansion without showing a gap.

Jim Eller
01-20-2010, 7:20 PM
Just put a dado in the corner post for the end piece to sit in and don't machine the edge. This will still allow for expansion without showing a gap.

Thanks Josiah.