PDA

View Full Version : Used Excalibur Sliding table

mike wacker
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I have an opportunity to buy an 8-year-old Excalibur 60 inch-sliding table. It came from a small very custom cabinet/finish shop. They took it out of service when they bought the “monster” saw with integral sliding table. It reportedly had no issues when taken out of service. They want very short money ($100). Any thoughts? I would be putting it on a 80’s vintage PM66.

Scott Hildenbrand
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
*cough*.. Where at? I'll go "check it out" for you! :D :D

Worst case? You might need to replace some bearings.. But doubtful.

Bob Wingard
01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I've had one for about four years now, and I LOVE IT .. .. a bit fussy to setup, but nothing a little patience can't cure.

I removed all of their cheesy ratchet-lever clamps and replaced them with Rockler's cam action clamps .. much smoother & faster adjustments. The ratchet clamps they provided were all stripping out anyway .. probably my own fault for overtightening or something, but I really like the Rockler clamps.

If the one you're looking at is orange .. it's a later model .. if it's purple, it's a bit older, and probably has sturdier hardware but will be lacking the stainless steel rails, unless it was made near the end of the purple era and they had already changed over to the stainless rails. Is that perfectly clear ??

John Thompson
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
If you need a sliding table I can't imagine why you haven't already pulled the trigger at $100. Excalibur is now owned by General International I believe so any parts necessary should be obtainable if necessary. I doubt it if the slider was in service when replaced.

Good luck...

mike wacker
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
John,

Biggest reason is he had a Delta DJ-20 I wanted much more. I was trying to dig up the cash (rob Peter to pay Paul) for it and took too long. So now I'm trying to make should this is a good idea.

Can you expand on what you mean by saying "I doubt it was in service when it was replaced"?

Thanks

Rick Potter
01-19-2010, 1:29 PM
Are you crazy? Buy it! I cannot believe it's still there. If you have the room for it, it's a major gloat.

Buy it, try it. If you don't like it, sell it for two or three times what you paid for it.

NOW.

Rick Potter

Ray Newman
01-19-2010, 1:35 PM
I have an Excalibur (or an Exaktor clone?) in the corner of my shop. I put in on the Unisaw and made a few things with it, then took it off. While handy, it took up too much space.

I would suggest that review the Excalibur sliding table manuals --see below -- and consider the footprint for each and if you have enough room:

http://www.general.ca/pg_index/manuals/50-SLT40e.pdf

http://www.general.ca/pg_index/manuals/50-SLT60Pe.pdf

The space required for an Exactor sliding table:
http://www.exaktortools.com/index2.htm

John Thompson
01-19-2010, 2:07 PM
John,

Biggest reason is he had a Delta DJ-20 I wanted much more. I was trying to dig up the cash (rob Peter to pay Paul) for it and took too long. So now I'm trying to make should this is a good idea.

Can you expand on what you mean by saying "I doubt it was in service when it was replaced"?

Thanks

I only speak southern Mike. :D

"Excalibur is now owned by General International I believe so any parts necessary should be obtainable if necessary. I doubt it if the slider was in service when replaced"

I believe you mentioned the gentleman told you it was in service when they got the up-grade.. so just a mis-understanding of my "hill-billy" lingo. Meaning the slider was in service if the gentleman was telling the truth and any fix-it parts are not likely.

I understand your situation and personally the money would be more well spent on a jointer but.. I will have to agree with Rick Potter that it would be a wise investment at $100 to double or triple your money toward a jointer. I can't imagine it not selling pronto if you hit the right sources and that would include any local WW'ing Club as there is no shipping if a local. CL is OK but not all WW'er's spend the day checking there or at least I don't have the time.

So... ya got options here! ;)

Good luck...

mike wacker
01-19-2010, 2:38 PM
Hey John I get it now. Been all over the country but never long in the south unless you count two years in VA. I'll told I talk fast even for a northern boy, lol. We'll be dropping the $100 tonight and giving it a try. Sounds like a safe bet to resell if it don't work out.