PDA

View Full Version : Another neander piece done!

David Gendron
01-19-2010, 1:09 AM
I finished this piece on friday for an exibit in a gallery in my town. The piece as you will noticed was inspired by Krenov's but my own design. the wood is Black Walnut and Black Cherry for the main parts and Hard Maple for the back and Sitka Spurce for the drawer bottom. It was done using hand tools only. It is so far the most challenging piece I made. i had to work around a few design problems and mistakes...:confused: nobody is perfect:D. The finish is Linseed oil and wax( the color in the pics is kind of off, I think it's due to the lighting and the color of the back wall)
Hoppe you anjoy and please comments(constructiv preferably) are welcome!

Hans Braul
01-19-2010, 6:02 AM
David,
I love the piece. Very well executed and the design is elegant. Thanks for the post.

Hans

John Keeton
01-19-2010, 6:26 AM
David, I know your dedication to handtools, and you sure used them to their potential on this piece!! Honestly, I am not a Krenov fan. I think he revolutionized woodworking, and was a tremendous artist. But, for the most part, I don't care for the style of his cabinets.

This one, however, has something special about it - IMHO, you did one up on Krenov. I love the design, and your craftsmanship is superb. Great job!!

Don C Peterson
01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Very nice work!

I've always liked to look of Krenov style cabinets and you've done a very nice job here.

John Thompson
01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
A nice piece from stem to stern. You did an excellent job IMO with the joinery which is not a cup of tea cutting by hand. I have weaned over to machines with the exception of DT's (which you did a nice job of) but haven't forgot the first ten years or so in the 70's when I did do them all by hand.

Nice.. solid design even though I am another who is not wild about the Kresnov style which IMO is a form or Scandanavian. I did like the style immensely in the late 70's and 80's but have weened back to my roots which were in a more rural setting. And that would certainly is not everyone's taste either but variety is the spice of life.

Again.. excellent joinery.. good design.. a good job of grain match with the contrasting woods being pleasing to my eye personally!

Matt Stiegler
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Beautiful work, David. Would be curious to know how long it took you, if you care to say.

David Gendron
01-19-2010, 1:52 PM
Thank you every body for the kind words!

Matt as for the time it took me, I think it was about 100h from design to finish... It is hard to say because as a full time dad at home, I have a limited shop time! But I 'm realy happy with the result!