PDA

View Full Version : To Rob Cosman 5-day seminar alumni

Tom Henderson2
01-19-2010, 1:07 AM
I'm contemplating going to one of Rob Cosman's 5-day "Training the hand" seminars this Summer up in Calgary. I know some of you have taken that same class, and I'd like to ask you a few questions.

First, what was your hand-tool skill level when you took the course? I'm a bit of a newb, and wonder if that is a good thing (no bad habits) or a bad thing (can't keep up with the class).

Second, did you find that when you got home you could effectively make things using the skills you learned? 5 days isn't much time to cover sharpening, plane use, through, half-blind and houndstooth dovetails, blind and through mortises & tenon joints, etc. so I'm wondering how much you were able to do on your own when you got home.

Next, where did you stay while in Calgary, and how did you like it? Did you need a car, or was it within walking distance of the class?

Lastly, if you flew in by airline, how did you pack and transport your tools?

Thanks in advance.

-Tom H

gary Zimmel
01-19-2010, 9:19 AM
Tom

The first course I took with Rob was three summers ago in Calgary.
Before going there my knowledge of hand tools was limited, very limited.

The shop time we got was extreme. We would start at 6:30-7:00 and go to at least 9:00 at night. One night we were there until 10:30.

When I got home I had all the skills to do a very respectable hand cut dovetail.
From there they really haven't got much better, but they have got much quicker.
Rob is an excellent instructor and no one was left behind.

I can't comment on getting tools to the course by airline as I drove down and stayed at my brothers place.
My woodworking was taken to another level with the knowledge I came away with from Robs course
For me well worth the money..

Jim Barrett
01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Tom,

My handskills were minimal at best b4 the course. I had sharpened chisels and plane blades and used my dt saw to practice sawing. Even tried a few dt's but otherwise I was a power tool guy.

I am still working on my dovetails...but again I am a slow learner :) Others have done very well, Gary Z and Gary B are two that have done some real nice work.

I also drove to Calgary but Gary B flew and he packed up his tools so he will probably chime in here. A bunch of us stayed at the SAIT dorm's. A bit cheaper than hotels. Adequate but you need a car to get to the class which is a 15 minute drive from the dorms. I carpooled with a few others.

It was a very good week, lots of shop time and I learned quite a bit. I was pooped by Thursday afternoon...bring some energy drinks with you!

Jim

Gary Benson
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Tom,
I had some experience with hand tools, but still classified as a beginner. I could cut several joints and plane some wood based on Rob's DVDs, but the course took it to a whole new level. You spend the whole first day on sharpening, plus you have to sharpen during the week. The next day and a half is on planing and sawing. Dovetails don't start until late Wednesday. All of the fancier versions use the same skills, so it is just more practice without becoming boring.

The hardest part of the course is the sleep deprivation. As Gary mentioned, the hours are very long. You will get all you wanted, plus some. I am able to apply the skills I learned every time I am in the shop. Since finishing the course last summer I have made several dozen projects using dovetails and thru-wedged mortise and tenon. My joints have gotten better, and lots, lots faster.

I stayed at the SAIT residences, basically student dorm. It is very plain, but clean. Only issue is no a/c, fan by the window helped. If you split a double with someone else in class is was about $400 for the week each. A single studio is $800. It is a 10 minute drive to the shop, so a car is needed. I transported my tools in a Stanley plastic tub with wheels from the Depot. When fully loaded with tools and lots of bubble wrap, it was 64 pounds. That is a no go in my opinion, $125 each way, so I took 15 pounds worth of stuff and put it in my large suitcase. Both were under 50 pounds and well packet. I locked both with TSA approved locks for a little security. The tool list is long, but several items can be swapped, or even shared if a friend is going. People coming from Europe could not bring as much, they did fine, Rob is good about letting you borrow a specific item as needed or to try out.

There are several other fellow creekers that are likely taking the course, maybe they will chime in with plans, could get 3-4 guys together to split the car and maybe a quad room.

If you have any doubts about the value of this course, forget them, it will be the best 5 days you can spend. You will work hard and get out of it even more than you put in. The more you practice before, the more the class will help. I suggest getting several DVDs to watch and practice. I am looking forward to the next challenge of an advanced class this July.

Gary

Rick Erickson
01-19-2010, 1:49 PM
Tom,
I can't speak of his 5-day class but I did take a condensed version of that class here in Atlanta where we made a shaker step stool. It was three days long (8am - 10pm-ish). We spent the first day on sharpening and hand plane use. The second and third days were spent on DT practice and building of the stool. It was a simple stool and wasn't really the point of the class. It was used more as a teaching prop (although it came out great). We were suppose to learn through MT joinery but ran out of time (bummer).

Rob is a phenominal teacher with MUCH patience. He will work with you at whatever level you are. I'm living proof :-). Just from that 3-day class my skills went to a whole new level (not the Garys of the world but I'm very happy with them). I think what I learned the most from his class is the value/understanding that hand tools play in the woodworking process (I was an extreme powertool guy before that).

I'm strongly considering taking the class in July as well. I was suppose to go last year but work got in the way. I'm trying to get a commitment for that time off so I can schedule accordingly.

Tom Henderson2
01-21-2010, 4:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments -- this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get.

Time to seriously consider this....

Thanks again.

-TH