PDA

View Full Version : New to woodworking, where do I start??

Duane Bledsoe
01-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Hello all.

I am fairly new to woodworking as a general rule. I have made a few things for around the house such as a bench for my wife and several other things but did not finish beyond basic painting only, no stains or sealers. But I want to take it to the next level now. I'd like to begin building and selling different products (benches, shelves, basic furniture such as tables) and would like some advice on some good general reading to learn as much as I can about finishing, cutting, things to watch for as I cut or finish, any tips or tricks to the trade, anything that's considered "inside knowledge" in the trade maybe. The kind of things you learn after years in the business basically, to shorten the learning curve some.

I am not brand new to woodworking tools though. I was in home improvements for 5 years as my main occupation so I know how to use general wood cutting tools well, such as table and mitre saws, circular saws and drills and the like. Woodworking to create a finely finished product though is pretty different from that.

Any info you could throw my way I'd greatly appreciate. Just some basic knowledge, the kinds of things that are considered "must do" on every project that my home improvement skills might not have allowed me to have already learned. Anything at all, I'm thankful to get. If you have any suggested reading, books I can buy, magazines I can subscribe to, anything like that at all I am all for it. I just don't know where to look or what to look for is all.

Victor Robinson
01-19-2010, 2:26 AM
I'm newer than yourself to woodworking in that I previously had no experience working with the stationary woodworking tools (TS, bandsaw, jointer, planer).

That being said, one of the two web-based resources I found most helpful (aside from SMC of course) was the Fine Woodworking website ($35 per year subscription). Basically instant access to the FWW archives (any article in PDF) and a fair amount of videos. Personally I'm a video learner - I learn A LOT by watching someone else do something even if I know how to do it. Definitely worth checking out the free 14 day trial - see how you like it - you can always cancel after 14 days and pay nothing.

Along the same vein, The Wood Whisperer is another fantastic resource. Marc offers PLENTY of free videos that cover a variety of techniques and also has a subscription-based part of his site if you think it's worthwhile. His videos cover not only the how-to, but also the thought process.

Gary Herrmann
01-19-2010, 7:22 AM
I've always thought Peter Korn's book was an excellent place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Basics-Mastering-Essentials-Craftsmanship/dp/156158620X

Vic Damone
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
In the beginning you need hands on direction while using properly set up equipment. Take a class or work with an experienced woodworker who has all his digits. Printed and online articles will continue to be a great resource throughout your woodworking life. Some of these articles and videos show horrible technique and are geared to the experienced woodworker who might preform the same task in a way he or she would feel safer about.

Look into woodworking clubs in your area, they will be a huge resource.

Google "The Woodwhisperer".

If you feel uncomfortable doing something, don't do it. If you feel very comfortable doing something, don't do it. Take a minute and remind yourself of the possible dangers involved.

Chris Friesen
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
In general, I'd suggest picking a project and then researching the tools and techniques suitable for that project rather than trying to learn everything at once.

Subscribing to Fine Woodworking's website for a month might not be a bad idea. They've got lots of articles available in PDF format that you can download and then read later at your leasure.

My local library has a fair number of woodworking resources (books, DVDs, etc.). You might check yours. The last few years of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking would make good reading.

Is there a woodworking guild or club nearby? Ours in town has a pretty decent library as well as basic courses.

If you have a community college they might offer woodworking courses.

Paul Halpern
01-19-2010, 2:54 PM
Another new woodworker, here. I would second many (even all) of the suggestions given above. Not that I've followed them myself! My area does have a community college with classes, and I'm within reach of another woodworking school. Magazines, books, and the 'net are all very valuable, as has been mentioned.

but, what it really comes down to is spending the time to learn. This has been the hardest for me. Work (beyond full-time!) and family (ditto!) leave little time for the garage/shop. But, over the past couple years, I've managed to turn out a couple pretty decent cabinets, and will be doing more this year.

My philosophy is simple: I take it a step at a time. This refers to learning, buying tools, building projects. No rush. One thing I would point out: If you (or anyone) are like me, you work all day, maybe have some time in the evenings. But you're tired. Rule 1: Stay away from the shop! I only go near my power tools when I'm feeling fresh on a day off. So, with all that time in the evenings when I'm too tired to work on a project? I learn Sketchup, and plan the next project. Pull out a book, or watch a video.

Eventually, I'll be a productive woodworker! (Or dead.)

Myk Rian
01-19-2010, 3:34 PM
What I did was to get a project, and find out what tools I needed to do that project. That started my shopping list. The more complicated the project, the more tools I needed. It took a couple years, (still ongoing) but worked out pretty well.
I'm to the point now where the shopping list is very small, but not blank.

Brad Wood
01-19-2010, 4:01 PM
everyone so far has had good suggestions for you. ... I'll add one more...

Get Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing"
http://www.amazon.com/UNDERSTANDING-WOOD-FINISHING-BOB-FLEXNER/dp/B000H6EJ4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263934537&sr=8-2

At $19.00, it is a bargain at twice the price.

Also, SMC has been a fantastic resource for me. The people here have hundreds of years of combined experience and they are all willing to share what they know.

If you do have an opportunity to work in person with someone in their shop (school, whatever), I'd go for it. I have been 100% self taught so far and I do feel it is a slower process and many things are mysterious :)

I'd have to echo one person above - just take it one step at a time. Start by building small things with the tools you have... continue to read, look at other peoples work, get some ideas on what you like and would like to do, on your next project try to incorportate a new technique or method... take notes (I have a shop notebook). This is pretty much the path I've taken and I acquire tools along the way as the new thing I am learning requires.

Tim Dorcas
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Assuming you already have the tools and you simply need to get the know how, I recommend Marc Adams' Woodworking Series. You can purchase and download them immediately here (http://www.iamplify.com/store/search?search_keywords=marc+adams&x=0&y=0).

I don't necessarily think you need all 11 to get started but if you get the bulk of them, I think you will be in great shape. He breaks woodworking into a series of processes that are easy to understand and execute on.

And then the biggest thing is to start building things! I started with boxes which are easy and fairly quick to make. And then I started progressing to larger items.

I will be interested to hear how things are coming along.

Tim

PS - If you don't have many tools, let me know you're budget and I think you will get lots of recommendations.