PDA

View Full Version : Craft Shows, credit cards

dennis kranz
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
A lot of you sell at the Craft Shows and was wondering how many of you take credit cards? Do you have a special machine for them. Do you take a lap top with you? A good old fashion slide machine.
Those that take credit cards do you think it has helped your sales?
Dennis

Denis Monti
01-19-2010, 1:55 AM
Hello Dennis. I have recently started using a zipzap machine because I appeared to be losing the odd sale because I only accepted cash. I haven't noticed any increase in sales but I've noticed most people prefer to use the card. It is costly in commission to the bank but it seems like we all have to move with the times and somehow recoup the cost. A friend at my maket says that "the zipzap machine noise is like a duck call to women". I've tried zipzapping it but I don't see the women come running...sigh. Regards, Denis from New Zealand.

Walt Bennett
01-19-2010, 7:43 AM
We've never had high volume as we've very few items under $20, so call-in accounts have worked very well for over five years. The wireless machines are great for high volume, but cost more. Same for store and forward (usually over the Internet). Our first provider was bought out by another company and suddenly didn't seem to want our business any more, so we switched to Chase last year. They've very reasonable fees and have been very responsive as well.

Don Pencil Woodturning
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Or the size of the wallet or purse anyway.
I sell tools at shows and woodturning at some local markets. Both tend to make for sales tickets over $40.
Got lots of stuff over $20? Got some over $50 or even $100?
If one does, the card service should be of value to you. If most is under $20 then the value may be small.
People have a hard time giving up cash amounts larger than $20 but they will reach for the card for large or small amounts. Also they will buy from you because that leaves the cash available for purchases from those who do not take cash on items that the customer "must have".
They can also be encouraged to purchase more from you.

Be Well,

Don Pencil

Belinda Barfield
01-19-2010, 2:11 PM
Dennis,

We don't sell at craft shows (not yet anyway) but did have to bite the bullet and start accepting credit cards three years ago. I avoid it when I can. Check with several providers and get the best deal you can on fees. You may get the best deal through the bank where you already have an established account.

Like the others, I have noticed the trend of folks not carrying cash as they did in the past. Most women I know will carry enough cash to buy lunch, but not for purchases - other than small ticket items. There also seems to be the mindset that even if one can't afford something today, the ability to pay it off over a couple of months justifies the purchase. Also, with all the reward and frequent flier mile programs linked to debit and credit cards most consumers will use the cad.

Bottom line, if you want to sell at craft shows (particularly large ones) you have to accept debit/credit cards. I would go with the all in one swipe and print unit. If you use a system via Internet you still have to print a receipt for the customer.

Jeff Monson
01-19-2010, 3:09 PM
Dennis, I do high volume credit card sales, if you are going to keep doing craft shows then eventually you should take cards, the trend is going more and more to plastic. I think your best bet would be an all in one unit also, ours works over the phone line and once setup its really nice, the money is transfered into my account within 24 hours.

We use a hypercom unit t7p, I actually bought it on ebay and it has worked flawless for the last 5 years.

Sean Troy
01-19-2010, 4:33 PM
www.propay.com I've been using them for 6 years with out any problems.

Brian Elfert
01-21-2010, 2:25 PM
I buy pretty much everything with my credit card. I pay it off every month so I don't end up with any interest or fees. I avoid carrying a lot of cash because I tend to spend more money that way. I will get cash if I going somewhere that I know doesn't take credit cards.

Credit cards will create impulse buyers. I have bought things that way before when I only had my credit card. (I don't spend money I don't have.)

Randy Cohen
01-21-2010, 5:20 PM
There is a new thing that you plug into an iphone that you can swipe a card with. It then emails the purchaser a receipt.
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/square-iphone-credit-card-reader-change-banking-game
sorry if links aren't allowed here.
I'm sure they will develop this to work with all smart phones.

fred marcuson
01-21-2010, 6:20 PM
well i don't sell at craft shows i do buy !!!
credit card :)
the last show cost me around a grand :eek:
no way i'd have that cash with me ..

Greg Just
01-24-2010, 2:35 PM
www.propay.com (http://www.propay.com) I've been using them for 6 years with out any problems.

Sean:

Do you use their MicroSecure Card Reader? This would eliminate the need for a laptop and internet connection at a craft show.

Thanks,
Greg