PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Hammer A3-31 owners!

Nick Lazz
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I am due to receive my machine in a few weeks and need your input.

What worked best for you for hook up to DC? I use 6" S&D drops. Seems the ports may be 5" on the machine.... What did you use for flex and where did you get it?

Any help with delivery, what worked well for you to move it to it's final spot! What can I expect with packaging etc?

Any other input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rod Sheridan
01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi, it's actually 120mm.

You can purchase a fitting from Felder, however I crimped a 5" elbow to fit the machine, and use 5" aluminum flex as the hose.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
You can expect alot of leftover wood!!! These things come packaged unbelievably well, I took mine home on my tilt bed snowmobile trailer and that worked great, I slid the pallet off the trailer, and then you can slide another smaller pallet off of the larger one and then finally the machine off of the smaller pallet. (I know that sounds confusing:confused:) anyways it was just me and 1 friend and it was not a problem at all. You will really like the machine, and make sure you get the handwheel kit with the dial indicator as it has been priceless for me getting consistent stock thickness.

I only have a 4" run to my machine and it works well but I get a little leftover chips when jointing, I used a fernco adaptor available at the BORGS to adapt the 120mm to 4".

Dave Lehnert
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
The hammer site looks interesting. What does one cost?

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I cut the darn thing off the machine, and screwed/taped on a 5" collar. I connect to it with a six foot section of 6" vinyl flex hose, with a 6"-to-5" adapter at the end, so it plugs on to the J/P. It also can plug on to the bandsaw which stands next to the J/P. That one, also a European, has the same modification: cut off the 100 mm port and bolt on a 5" one.

Doug Shepard
01-19-2010, 5:15 AM
I bought 120mm flex hose from Felder and had KB Duct make up a reducer that slips into a 6" S&D fitting (all my drops hae a 45 fitting at the end to start the hose heading towards the machines) and sized to fit the flex on the other end. On the machine end I'm also using Felder's 45 elbow to get the hose away from the dust hood and not hang into the planer exit path.

Ed Griner
01-19-2010, 7:07 AM
When in Rome!! I just ordered an a3-31.

Ed

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2010, 8:37 AM
When in Rome!! I just ordered an a3-31.

Ed

Congrats Ed, I know you were thinking a lot about it.

Glad to hear that it all worked out.........Rod.

Nick Lazz
01-20-2010, 6:21 PM
The hammer site looks interesting. What does one cost?

They have been running specials on the machines (about $1000 off), that's how I ended up with one. Basic machine was around $3100.

Nick Lazz
01-20-2010, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will let you know how it goes, or if I have any other questions.

Dave Hale
01-20-2010, 9:45 PM
120mm. I ordered a 120mm-5in reducer (expander? ) from Oneida.. Hooked that up to a 5in flex so I had the ability to do the 'flip'. Very, very tight fit. One thing I found is if I only have the 5in port open on my 2.5hp Dust Gorilla while in planing mode, the flange for the dust collection will float (clang) into the wrong position and not pickup any shavings. :( I was doing rare-earth magnets to keep it forced open until I happened to open the 4in gate on the same drop-down section of pipe to cleanup the mess it made and heard the flap 'clang' open. Might be mostly due to my uneven floor (garage) but keep in mind there is such a thing as too strong a suction on this machine. :)

Paul Incognito
01-21-2010, 7:41 AM
When we move to a bigger shop I'd like to get a Hammer.
In the mean-time, their office is right up the road from a supplier I use. I stopped in the other day to check out the machines. Really nice stuff.
Anyhow, they have a few demo machines available for 50% off. I don't know the models, but if you're looking for a new machine, give them a call at the New Castle, Delaware store.
PI

Curt Harms
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
That's interesting. I'm not familiar with the Hammer machines and dust collection but had something similar happen on a Jet JJP12. I asked Jet's technical support about it. They suggested I had "too much suction":eek:. It turned out that if I left the hose connected and sucking when I switched the hood from jointer to planer the flap wouldn't 'flop' but would pretty much stay in jointer position. I found that if I closed the blast gate or removed the hose when switching from jointer to planer mode the flap would move as it was intended. The flap will still ride up a little but chip/dust collection works as expected.

120mm. I ordered a 120mm-5in reducer (expander? ) from Oneida.. Hooked that up to a 5in flex so I had the ability to do the 'flip'. Very, very tight fit. One thing I found is if I only have the 5in port open on my 2.5hp Dust Gorilla while in planing mode, the flange for the dust collection will float (clang) into the wrong position and not pickup any shavings. :( I was doing rare-earth magnets to keep it forced open until I happened to open the 4in gate on the same drop-down section of pipe to cleanup the mess it made and heard the flap 'clang' open. Might be mostly due to my uneven floor (garage) but keep in mind there is such a thing as too strong a suction on this machine. :)

John Harden
01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a Felder and it uses the same, 120mm ports. I use 5" flex hose from Oneida that connects to 6" blast gates. At the machine, I bought the $8 120mm to 100mm adapter from Felder or Hammer. The OD of the 120mm side is a nice, snug fit inside 5" flex hose.

Viola!!!

Wasn't my idea. Someone else on here told me the solution. I like this setup as the plastic reducter/connector from Felder is a nice friction fit over 120mm dust ports. It stays put without having to use a band clamp, yet is easily removable with a simple twist.

Have fun with the new machine!!!!

Regards,

John

Chris Tsutsui
01-22-2010, 1:26 PM
I have a HF 2HP DC that picks up just about everything the A3-31 spews out.

To connect a 4" hose to the 120mm port I use duct tape. :D

Eventually i'll find and order a 120mm to 4" right angle adapter(s).

My suggestion if you're a new owner is to set the machine up perfectly before you use it.

Such as set the infeed table so it rests flat without having to clamp it down tightly.

Oh and use wax or dry lube to keep your stock moving smoothly on the machine.

With that said, I've been a VERY satisfied owner.