PDA

View Full Version : Shell shocked.

Rick Potter
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I just figured out my order for drawer slides. Getting the KV slides from Woodworker Hardware...on sale....$15 shipping....$1960!!! Yikes!

I have a new kitchen to do, a laundry room, hall cabinets, closet units, kitchenette and bath in the new granny flat, and a few for the shop. Total needed.......149 sets. This doesn't include doing two walk in closets with built ins, we haven't designed them yet.

Sounds like I need to get a part time job. Better start practicing....."HI, welcome to Wal Mart", "Hi, welcome to Wal Mart".

Rick Potter

PS: Yeah, I know it is a lot of drawers, Picture the house as a duplex with a common kitchen.

dan sherman
01-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I just figured out my order for drawer slides. Getting the KV slides from Woodworker Hardware...on sale....$15 shipping....$1960!!! Yikes!

You priced the wrong slides I think. For kitchens, drawers etc you should use slides like these.

http://wwhardware.com/showimage.cfm?type=spec&productid=B230M%2010CM

2 to 5 dollars depending on length and retailer, and if you really need 149, you should see about getting a bulk discount.

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2010, 12:27 AM
The purchase price of the slides is small compared to the labor investment to build the drawer it fits. Even if you value your time at nothing, building that many drawers is a full time job for many many weeks. You might should consider adjusting the scope of your plan.

Mike Heidrick
01-19-2010, 1:15 AM
This is an elephant best eaten one cabinet section/room at a time.

Rick Potter
01-19-2010, 3:43 AM
Hi again,

I used the Blum slides like those pictured in my last house. The boss wants full extension this time, and we decided to go for some of the KV 8455 in the kitchen, and 8400 in the other areas.

Yup, lots of drawers. Gotta do it one area at a time. This remodel and addition started the day we moved in 4 1/2 years ago. First job was building a shop, then building a laundry room in the house, moving walls, adding bay windows, changing out all the windows, reroofing, adding enclosed patio, front porch, complete restucco, rebuild a small garage, landscape front, and add a granny flat apartment. Hope to have it done in another year...very patient wife. Right now we have the kitchen sink in, and the rest of the kitchen is card tables and shelving units. Of course the new granny flat is priority since it can be occupied (not done, mind you) in about 4 weeks. This will get my adult daughter out of the living room, where she has lived for the last year or so, after sleeping in a small travel trailer for a year.

I am too old and slow to do the heavy work, but I get to do all the cabinets and trim. This means it's my turn to stop playing contractor and produce results, like buiilding the cabinets to put the new drawers in.

Rick Potter
Tired and retired.

Mitchell Andrus
01-19-2010, 7:52 AM
Nothing beats a nicely made set of slides. If you can justify the extra cost, don't skimp. Good ones will last 30 years.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2010, 8:35 AM
I agree with Mitch, even in the shop I use full extension slides.

I have to admit though, it does add up fast.

As others have stated, it's a small price compared to the investment in time and materials.......Regards, Rod.

Kent A Bathurst
01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree with Mitch, even in the shop I use full extension slides.

I have to admit though, it does add up fast.

As others have stated, it's a small price compared to the investment in time and materials.......Regards, Rod.

ditto

sdfgsdfd

Brian Gumpper
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Rick,

What are the KV item numbers you are ordering?

Noah Katz
01-19-2010, 1:26 PM
At least as of a few months ago, several vendors on ebay had full extension slides at good prices.

Rick Potter
01-19-2010, 2:06 PM
Brian,

I am ordering various sizes of KV 8400 slides. These are KV's best 'regular' slides, side mount...not undermount, made in the US. I am using them on places other than the kitchens. They are on sale now at 25% off.

In the high use areas like the kitchens, I am using KV 8455 slides. I use 22" for the top drawer (nail strip), and 24" for the lower drawers. My bride wants every inch of drawer space she can get. These are KV's best soft close, 1" overtravel units. They are on sale now at 15% off.

This is from Woodworkers Hardware, where shipping is only $15 for orders over $200. The sale last's till the end of Feb.

Go to Woodworkers Hardware website, click on 'monthly specials', go to page 7, where you will find the 8400 series, with the 8450 and 8455 right below.

I just ordered them, and was told they should be here around the first of next week.

Rick Potter

Eric Gustafson
01-19-2010, 2:33 PM
I bought 20 pairs of these 100lb drawer slides for drawers in my assembly table. So far, I had zero problems.

GlideRite 22" Side Mount - Full Extension - Zinc Plated
(packaged 10 pair per carton) @ $48.20 a carton.

Stephen Edwards
01-19-2010, 2:40 PM
I bought 20 pairs of these 100lb drawer slides for drawers in my assembly table. So far, I had zero problems.

GlideRite 22" Side Mount - Full Extension - Zinc Plated
(packaged 10 pair per carton) @ $48.20 a carton.

I've used those slides, too, with zero problems. That's what I'll continue to use. I don't care where they're made as long as they work. But, that's just my opinion.

Eric Gustafson
01-19-2010, 3:13 PM
I've used those slides, too, with zero problems. That's what I'll continue to use. I don't care where they're made as long as they work. But, that's just my opinion.

Glad to see I am not the only one. If I had to have self closing or slow motion, then I would be forced to pay the crazy price for brand name slides. But, I would rather have more drawers I can afford than less drawers with fancy smancy features. That bench I built used no more than $100 in drawer slides, if I bought fancy name brands it could have cost $400 or more! :eek:

When I get to redoing my kitchen, I will likely use the same source for drawer slides.

Shawn Christ
01-19-2010, 4:18 PM
Check out this thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129831) for info on economical full-extension slides. Those slides are on sale for less than half the price of the KV USA-made slides. There is also a link from another contributor for bulk pricing on similar slides.

Geoff Potter
01-19-2010, 4:43 PM
Go to Custom Supply Hardware http://www.cshardware.com/ Check out the drawer slides. Great slides, great deals and if you need that many I am sure they will deal.