PDA

View Full Version : Lever release ZCI for Sawstop ICS

johnny means
01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Tired of having to locate a tool to access my tool free riving knife, I figured out how to make the PCS insert fit the ICS. I used a file to enlarge the spacing of the clamping portion of the lever lock. Pretty straight forward operation, simply grind about ³/₃₂ off of the locking mechanism. I snuck up on the exact fit so as to avoid a sloppy fit.

Paul Ryan
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
The tool less insert is one of the really nice features of the PCS saw. Just the extra seconds it took to take the screw out of the insert always made me dread changing blades. For some reason with this new insert it seems to take so much less time, so I don't mind changing blades so much. I still hate dialing in dado widths though.

Mike Heidrick
01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Tired of having to locate a tool to access my tool free riving knife, I figured out how to make the PCS insert fit the ICS. I used a file to enlarge the spacing of the clamping portion of the lever lock. Pretty straight forward operation, simply grind about ³/₃₂ off of the locking mechanism. I snuck up on the exact fit so as to avoid a sloppy fit.

This is grinding done on the zero clearence insert?

I have not seen the PCS insert.

Do you have more pictures to better illustrate what you did?

Steve Gass
01-21-2010, 3:01 PM
For what it is worth, we've got a revised version of the ZCI with the toolless removal coming out soon (say a month or two) which will work on all of the different saws. It flexible legs where you ground clearance to accommodate the variations in cast iron thickness. This new ZCI will be required for the new dust collection shroud for the ICS that will upgrade the interal dust collection efficiency to match the PCS. You'll also need the new insert to utilize the guard from the PCS - the anti-kickback pawls on the new guard rest a little farther away from the spreader and won't correctly contact the steel wear plates on the original insert.

Steve Gass
President, SawStop, LLC

Kyle Iwamoto
01-21-2010, 4:24 PM
Sweet! I'll buy one. I'm tired of finding that allen wrench too.

Street price and stock number?

Michael Schapansky
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm looking forward to this too. Thanks for thinking of us ICS owners!

Steve Gass
01-22-2010, 2:41 PM
The tool-free insert is $39 (dado and regular) and the part numbers are TSI-SLD (standard) and TSI-DLD (dado). The difference between the two is that the dado does not have a notch at the back to clear the spreader and wear plates for the anti-kickback pawls to ride on.

Steve

Michael MacDonald
01-22-2010, 3:25 PM
I will be all over that too. I gouged mine up a bit with the pawls when I angling the blade... a learning experience. So I want to replace it anyway.

On a separate note, I have found that it is tough to get mine perfectly level with the table top throughout the insert... The problem is either (1) it is warped or (2) operator error or (3) my standards are unreasonable. Do the other SS owners reading this thread give up on ZCI "levelness" perfection? Am I spinning my wheels?

Christopher Dopp
01-22-2010, 3:28 PM
Steve,

I heard from a support tech on a call that SawStop is going to start selling a connection between the 4inch dust port on the PCS and the smaller port on the blade guard. Do you have any idea when this will be available or any additional details you can share?

I continue to be very impressed with both the PCS saw and the support from your company.

Thanks,

Christopher

Paul Ryan
01-22-2010, 3:45 PM
I will be all over that too. I gouged mine up a bit with the pawls when I angling the blade... a learning experience. So I want to replace it anyway.

On a separate note, I have found that it is tough to get mine perfectly level with the table top throughout the insert... The problem is either (1) it is warped or (2) operator error or (3) my standards are unreasonable. Do the other SS owners reading this thread give up on ZCI "levelness" perfection? Am I spinning my wheels?

Michael,

What saw do you have. If it is a PCS saw, I had that same problem with my ZCI. My saw is an early build field test PCS saw. Call SS tech support there are methods that they can walk you through on what to do to get the insert to level.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-22-2010, 4:13 PM

Same here..... Can't get mine level. Too low. Adjustment screws won't bring mine high enough. MOST times this is petty, but I did a lot of small cuts on some planned segmented parts. All very small and short. Slightly annoying.

Bob Falk
01-22-2010, 9:17 PM
For what it is worth, we've got a revised version of the ZCI with the toolless removal coming out soon (say a month or two) which will work on all of the different saws. It flexible legs where you ground clearance to accommodate the variations in cast iron thickness. This new ZCI will be required for the new dust collection shroud for the ICS that will upgrade the interal dust collection efficiency to match the PCS. You'll also need the new insert to utilize the guard from the PCS - the anti-kickback pawls on the new guard rest a little farther away from the spreader and won't correctly contact the steel wear plates on the original insert.

Steve Gass
President, SawStop, LLC

I just bought a used ICS and am looking forward to the upgraded dust collection and tool free ZCI...kudos to Mr. Gass for monitoring our site and working to keep such upgrades compatible with ALL Sawstops. America needs more CEO's like Mr. Gass!

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-22-2010, 9:56 PM
America needs more CEO's like Mr. Gass!

Let's see...I've seen the CEO of SS here....the CEO of Grizzly....I seem to recall someone 'significant' from Woodpeckers here too....any other companies leveraging the wealth of knowledge on SMC? :)

michael case
01-23-2010, 2:14 AM
Thank SS. I hate dealing with that little Allen wrench.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Let's see...I've seen the CEO of SS here....the CEO of Grizzly....I seem to recall someone 'significant' from Woodpeckers here too....any other companies leveraging the wealth of knowledge on SMC? :)

I beleive the CEO of Shopsmith and the US rep for Tormek also frequently answer questions here....

Bob Falk
01-24-2010, 1:32 PM
Seems to me we will all end up with better designed and more functional tools if designers and CEO's frequent sites such as this....there is a wealth of collective knowledge and our comments just might be taken to heart. My $0.02

Josh Reet
01-25-2010, 2:10 AM
Seems to me we will all end up with better designed and more functional tools if designers and CEO's frequent sites such as this....there is a wealth of collective knowledge and our comments just might be taken to heart. My $0.02

Believe me, nobody with any brains is ignoring sites like this in any industry. They may not answer questions or make themselves known like a few people do here, but I promise you that they are reading.

Steve Gass
01-25-2010, 2:58 PM
You guys should definitely be able to get your inserts level with the top. There are 4 screws located one in each corner (not to mention the hold down screw at the front) that allow you to separately adjust the height of each part of the insert. The screw setup at the back is a little more complicated in that there are screws on the saw and on the insert that interlock to hold the rear of the insert down and hold the sides apart. Once in a while someone starts adjusting the ones in the saw rather than the ones in the insert and that doesn't work as well. The screw heads on the insert should slide on the cast iron and the screws on the cast iron should be adjusted so that they just allow the insert screws to slide underneath - thereby securing the back of the insert in place. If that doesn't help, definitely give the guys in service a call and they can walk you through any adjustments that might be needed.

We are coming out with an overarm dust collection accessory that will include an adapter that will allow a small hose to be easily connected to the 4" port at the back of the saw. I'm sure we will sell the adapter separately if anyone wants it. The tooling is underway and we are probably a few months away from having production parts ready to ship.

You guys are most welcome for the input. It is a more than fair trade for the ongoing education I get from seeing what people have to say about our products and how they are working in the real world. I always encourage people to send me an email and let me know if there is a thread that would benefit from my input. It seems like most of the time other users chime in and quickly clear up any questions.

Steve