PDA

View Full Version : Arm-R-Seal or Rockhard for a desk?

Jimmy Williams
01-18-2010, 9:56 PM
I have just completed construction on a computer desk and hutch and am about to begin finishing. The desk is made out of a combination of soft maple, maple plywood and Baltic birch. I have read and read and read on how the soft maple will blotch.

I have decided to go with a pre-conditioner and then a gel stain.

My question is what should I use for a top coat? Is Arm-R-Seal going to be tough enough or should I go with Rockhard? The ultimate goal is to have a satin finish. Arm-R-Seal will come that way from the can, but I know that the Rockhard will have to cure for a month before I can take it to Satin.

This desk is for a client and I am already overdue on getting it to them and would prefer not to have to wait a month for a durable finish. However, if the Rockhard is the way to go then I'll just have to stall a little longer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Holmes
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not a fan of Arm R Seal, I think there are better varnishes out there for furniture. Of course I don't like poly on any furniture.

Rockhard is an excellent varnish and is harder than poly... on soft maple that may not matter.

Jimmy Williams
01-19-2010, 7:19 AM
Thanks. I guess I should have said this is my first piece of furniture so I am open to suggestions for the finish. I don't want to screw it up at this point so I am open to the correct way of finishing it. If there is something better out there I am open to it.