PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly bandsaw

Dave Lee NC
01-18-2010, 6:42 PM
About to purchase the Grizzly G0513x2 17" bandsaw. Any comments on this saw? Another one to consider? Recently bought G0691 with sale code from Grizzly ad in wood mag. Anyone know of any special pricing or shipping on this saw?

Thanks

Cary Falk
01-18-2010, 7:15 PM
I have the 513x2 as well as quite a few other people on this forum. It is a great saw.

jerry nazard
01-18-2010, 7:17 PM
Dave,

It is a very nice saw. From me, nothing but good words about Grizzly.

-Jerry

Barry Vabeach
01-18-2010, 8:48 PM
Dave, I bought mine about a year ago and it is a great saw. The only downside is that the handle for the fence was in a awkward position. I don't know if they corrected that with the current model because I just checked the website and they don't have any photos posted. The problem, btw, is that the handle sits several inches to the right of the fence so if you put a board against the fence and try to adjust the position of the fence, the handle may be covered by the board. Other than that, it is a great saw.

Dave Garcia
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Gentlemen,

I've read the various threads in this forum on band saws while researching a possible purchase of a 14" unit to replace my bench top 9" Delta. Although I'm partial to American made equipment my research has shown, and comments in this forum have enforced my feeling that there are a number of very good overseas made band saws currently on the US market.

My local Woodcraft store carries the usual brand names. The one that has sort of stood out, which Woodcraft also carries, is the Rikon 14". If my budget could support it I'd opt for the Powermatic. I'm also looking very closely at the Steel City with the 12" resaw capacity, mainly because it has a lot of items that are add on items with the other saws, like a roller base and quick tensioner.

Yes, to everyone of you that opted for the 17" band saw vice the 14". I just don't have the room in my shop for that size of machine. It's going to be a stretch to get the 14" saw in there as it is.

Would any of you care to comment? I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from each of you, or anyone else for that matter, with your comments pro and con on the three 14" band saws that I've mentioned above. And yes, I've read the Fine Wood Working reviews etc. Am looking for a more personal "hands on" shop review.

Thank you very much in advance.

Dave Garcia :confused::)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Scott T Smith
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
About to purchase the Grizzly G0513x2 17" bandsaw. Any comments on this saw? Another one to consider? Recently bought G0691 with sale code from Grizzly ad in wood mag. Anyone know of any special pricing or shipping on this saw?

Thanks

Dave, I have an 0513XB2 and have been very pleased with it. If you're in the triangle area, you're welcome to stop by my shop and give it a run before ordering yours.

Scott

ken gibbs
01-19-2010, 6:49 AM
I bought the Griz 14" heavy duty bandsaw last summer and I am very pleased with this saw. For approximately $750, you can get the Fox mmobile base, cast iron tires, 1 1/2 hp motor, and their excellent resaw fence. This includes FOB delivery to your destination. the sw tracked operfectly rght out of the box. In my opinion, this saw was a great purchase for the money.

Don Dorn
01-19-2010, 7:18 AM
If you need to go with a 14" saw, there are obviously a couple of options. I bought my G055 in 2003 and it continues to be the performer that I thought it would. I put a riser on it and it seems to have enough power to resaw anything (including a small log) that I threw at it.

If I could change anything, it would be how the guides are operated below the table. It's a little difficult to get your fingers in there because they are located identically to where the top ones are. The Delta has knurled knobs in the front and easy to adjust. If I were doing it again, I'd opt for the 17", but I like this one enough that I'm not going through the trouble of upgrading.

mark kosse
01-19-2010, 8:42 AM
Gentlemen,

I've read the various threads in this forum on band saws while researching a possible purchase of a 14" unit to replace my bench top 9" Delta. Although I'm partial to American made equipment my research has shown, and comments in this forum have enforced my feeling that there are a number of very good overseas made band saws currently on the US market.

My local Woodcraft store carries the usual brand names. The one that has sort of stood out, which Woodcraft also carries, is the Rikon 14". If my budget could support it I'd opt for the Powermatic. I'm also looking very closely at the Steel City with the 12" resaw capacity, mainly because it has a lot of items that are add on items with the other saws, like a roller base and quick tensioner.

Yes, to everyone of you that opted for the 17" band saw vice the 14". I just don't have the room in my shop for that size of machine. It's going to be a stretch to get the 14" saw in there as it is.

Would any of you care to comment? I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from each of you, or anyone else for that matter, with your comments pro and con on the three 14" band saws that I've mentioned above. And yes, I've read the Fine Wood Working reviews etc. Am looking for a more personal "hands on" shop review.

Thank you very much in advance.

The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave, I'm partial to American made tools too. That said, if I was to buy a new bandsaw , Delta vs Grizzly, I'd go for the grizzly. They're both made in china anyway.

I have a question for you about size. When you say you don't have room in your shop can you elabotate? I checked the GO555 and the GO513X2 I have at school and they are so close in floor space size. The 513 is 3" wider at the base, same width. 27X18 vs 24X18. Is height a problem? Mark

Shiraz Balolia
01-19-2010, 9:55 AM
Dave, I'm partial to American made tools too. That said, if I was to buy a new bandsaw , Delta vs Grizzly, I'd go for the grizzly. They're both made in china anyway.
Mark

Our bandsaws are made in Taiwan.

Stan Mitchell
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I have the 513X2 and it's one of the finest saws I've ever used.

Pluses:

1) Nice big table
2) Plenty of power
3) Tall fence with lots of room for re-sawing
4) Stable and accurate once tuned
5) Very affordable

Very minor inconveniences:

1) As stated, the fence handle is in a poor position
2) Guide adjustments use hex head screws - wish it had thumb screws which I will probably switch out eventually
3) Like most band saws - dust collection could be better

mark kosse
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Our bandsaws are made in Taiwan.

Yes, Tiawan, ROC. If you've read my post, I am a fan.

Dave Lehnert
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I have researched 17-18" bandsaws till I'm blue in the face.
The 513x2 from Grizzly gets great reviews across the board. Hard to find anyone who dislikes it. I like to have one and been close to pulling the trigger a few times. But things are kinda shaky at work so it's all about "will I need the money" in a few months.

Dave Garcia
01-20-2010, 2:56 AM

I have a question for you about size. When you say you don't have room in your shop can you elabotate? I checked the GO555 and the GO513X2 I have at school and they are so close in floor space size. The 513 is 3" wider at the base, same width. 27X18 vs 24X18. Is height a problem? Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your input. I thought Delta was made in Mexico? Most of their bench top tools are/were made there or at least were when I bought mine over ten years ago. The only reason I was looking at the Delta 14" band saw was because it was supposedly the last Delta tool made in the states. Hmmm. Thanks for setting me straight.

With regards to size. My shop work space is small, with a capital S. And a 3" difference either way makes a big different for storage. It has everything to do with how I store my tools once I clean up to park the vehicle in the shop which is necessary for me. All of my tools are on rollers of some sort and fit against one wall and a corner like a jig saw puzzle.

Does that make any sense? it does work for me though.

Thanks again!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Garcia
01-20-2010, 3:07 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you one and all for your inputs on the Grizzly band saw. I'm going to have to do some "re-thinking" and "re-looking" here that's for sure.

Question though. A number of you mention that your particular saw had the taller fence which makes for easier resawing. In my review of the current online Grizzly catalog, the "tall" fence is not available as standard equipment on any of the 14" saws (580/555/555X) and only on the following 17" units (513/513X).

I'm going to give Grizzly a call and see if that "tall" fence could be purchased for the 14" saw.

One other question. A lot of the band saws that are marketed in the US are of the cast iron type that you must add a riser to to increase the size of wood that can be resawed. With the Rikon, it's a steel formed post that needs no riser which allows it to have a 13" throat. I've heard a lot of horror stories about alignment with this riser block addition.

Comments?

Thanks in advance.

The Wood Block, Ltd

Cary Falk
01-20-2010, 6:40 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you one and all for your inputs on the Grizzly band saw. I'm going to have to do some "re-thinking" and "re-looking" here that's for sure.

Question though. A number of you mention that your particular saw had the taller fence which makes for easier resawing. In my review of the current online Grizzly catalog, the "tall" fence is not available as standard equipment on any of the 14" saws (580/555/555X) and only on the following 17" units (513/513X).

I'm going to give Grizzly a call and see if that "tall" fence could be purchased for the 14" saw.

One other question. A lot of the band saws that are marketed in the US are of the cast iron type that you must add a riser to to increase the size of wood that can be resawed. With the Rikon, it's a steel formed post that needs no riser which allows it to have a 13" throat. I've heard a lot of horror stories about alignment with this riser block addition.

Comments?

Thanks in advance.

The Wood Block, Ltd

If you are talking about this fence:
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0555x_det6.jpg
It looks like it is available on the 555X. as well as most of the bigger ones. You can buy the fence or upgrade kits on page 94 of the catalog. I didn't have any problems with my riser block when I had my Delta 14". The come with indexing pins to help with alignment

Joseph Tarantino
01-20-2010, 9:00 AM
a woodworker over at woodnet forums posted the following. it was thought provoking:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4695159&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=