PDA

View Full Version : New Tablesaw Owner :)

Scott Gibbons
01-18-2010, 6:14 PM
Historically, I have always headed over to my dads house when I was in need of a table saw, but this has now come to an end :) On Saturday I was able to procure the last Ridgid R4511 for $300.00. So now I have this great saw, and really no projects that are requiring it right now. Can any of you recommend some good reading material on jigs and overall setup and squaring of a table saw and fence? I think I have all of the appropriate tools to do this, dial indicator, machine squares, height gauges.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Van Huskey
01-18-2010, 6:27 PM
Historically, I have always headed over to my dads house when I was in need of a table saw, but this has now come to an end :) On Saturday I was able to procure the last Ridgid R4511 for $300.00. So now I have this great saw, and really no projects that are requiring it right now. Can any of you recommend some good reading material on jigs and overall setup and squaring of a table saw and fence? I think I have all of the appropriate tools to do this, dial indicator, machine squares, height gauges.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Thewoodwhisperer.com has a good table saw tune up 2 part video.

Scott Gibbons
01-18-2010, 6:51 PM
Awesome I will check it out now. Thank you.

Dave Gaul
01-20-2010, 9:14 AM
Just got one last friday myself, one of 4 left within 1 hour of my house! LOML treated me to an early bday present (yes, she's that great!)

I used the "i can do this on my own" method of tuning the saw, and I pretty sure I got it VERY close with a dial indicator, a 24" precision straight edge and a set of precision engineer's squares...

But I do plan on double checking with the good ole stick & screw method...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130076&highlight=hardwood+stick Read post # 5

WOOD has an article too, somewhere on SMC there's a link for it, don't remember where though, I printed a copy out.. shouldn't be hard to find, but it has good guidelines to tuning a TS...

Bob Haskett
01-20-2010, 9:58 AM
Can any of you recommend some good reading material on jigs and overall setup and squaring of a table saw and fence? I think I have all of the appropriate tools to do this, dial indicator, machine squares, height gauges.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I HIGHLY recommend reading the pdf document in this thread, and obtaining the A-LINE-IT system and a Wixely Digital Angle reader (or the HF version).

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836

A lot of people will tell you to use homemade jigs and such which is TOTALLY acceptable and works just fine. But the A-LINE-IT allowed me to get my table saw dialed in to within .001 at 90 and 45, check my fence and miter slot to the blade, set my jointer knives, etc. It is really handy. It is very quick and easy to do. (Did I just host an infomercial?) I know it is $79 for the A-LINE-IT but in my opinion it is well worth it for the speed at which you can check your tools.

However, I am a perfectionist, so if dialing in your saw to .001 doesnt matter to you, I recommend reading this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1314968&postcount=5

Scott Gibbons
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I will order one up. I have been looking at them!

michael osadchuk
01-21-2010, 2:57 AM
Scott,

There's lots of good, but scattered, discussion online about tablesaw jigs, procedures, safety practices but for a pretty comprehensive, all-in-one-place reference book I recommend Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic. It's close to exhaustive.

I know there are convenient speciality purpose alignment tools for tablesaws but the inexpensive machinist dial indicator (with a magnetic base) does it all and can be used in a lot of other applications.

Where I find I've spent my money, after purchasing the tablesaw, is on a variety of safety devices and dust collection.

good luck

michael