PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 8:20 PM
I have always been envious of everyone’s shop tours and how interesting they always are. Unfortunately, I’m not very imaginative when it comes to taking pictures, so I will just shoot from the corners with a few extra pics thrown in.

1<SUP>st</SUP> pic is at the SW corner and the machine storage / lumber storage area.
2<SUP>nd</SUP> pic is the NW corner and my metal working milling machine with the router head swung around.
3<SUP>rd</SUP> pic is the NE corner where the gas heater (love it) and swamp cooler reside.
4<SUP>th</SUP> pic is the SE corner main entryway, storage cabinet, etc.
5<SUP>th </SUP>pic is my beloved Unisaw w/ 50” Biesemeyer fence

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 8:23 PM
Second set of pics.
1<SUP>st</SUP>, Logan 14” X 40” engine lathe stuck behind my current project.
2<SUP>nd</SUP>, machine shop support stuff.
3<SUP>rd</SUP>, all important sound center.
4<SUP>th</SUP>, Beer drinking area (after the work’s done, of course) :rolleyes:
5<SUP>th</SUP>, Bench storage

Thanks for looking! :o

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 8:28 PM
No Need for envy Bruce. You have a great multi tasking space here and all the talents to use it. Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2004, 8:30 PM
WOW Bruce, what's not to be envious about YOUR shop? What an AWESOME setup you have there. A place for everything, and everything in it's place...............beautiful.............laid out nicely, well lit and I LOVE the Sound Center and the all important Beer Drinking Area. It is good to see you have your priorities in order Bruce! :D GREAT shop Bruce..........thanks for sharing the pictures, and I have to disagree on one thing..............you do a great job with the photos............well done! ;)

(By the way, that Cross Cut Sled, which I have admired previously, is fantastic!) :)

Rich Konopka
10-18-2004, 8:40 PM
Bruce,

I love the workbench. Did you draw up the plans yourself? Also, is that an Ipod next to the Paper Towel rack? My MM16 has a brother in your shop as well.
Looking neat and Clean !!

Steve Stube
10-18-2004, 8:49 PM
Beautiful in every direction! Thanks for the tour.

Dick Parr
10-18-2004, 9:03 PM
Very nice Bruce. I agree with everyone above that it is a shop to be envious of and I do like the multi tasking. Thanks for the tour.

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 9:04 PM
Bruce,

I love the workbench. Did you draw up the plans yourself? Also, is that an Ipod next to the Paper Towel rack? My MM16 has a brother in your shop as well.
Looking neat and Clean !!
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Rich, the bench is my own design based on one thet was in American Woodworker several years ago. It’s just a large work area with lots of storage. You must’ve missed my previous post about the iPod :rolleyes: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11952

Don Abele
10-18-2004, 9:22 PM
Bruce, excellent looking shop. I'm envious. Curious though - do you not own a drill press?

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
10-18-2004, 9:24 PM
Bruce...really great shop...I love it!

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 9:33 PM
Bruce, excellent looking shop. I'm envious. Curious though - do you not own a drill press?

Be well,

Doc
Thanks Doc. I sold my drill press when I got the mill several years ago.

Carole Valentine
10-18-2004, 9:41 PM
How can that be a working shop???? I don't see a speck of sawdust or a shaving anywhere! :rolleyes:
But seriously, a VERY nice setup, Bruce! I'm green.
:)

Steve Clardy
10-18-2004, 9:44 PM
Umm. Nice clean, well organized shop. Looking good Bruce.:)

Gary Max
10-18-2004, 9:45 PM
Makes me want to go out and clean my shop-----nah it would never be that clean.

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
How can that be a working shop???? I don't see a speck of sawdust or a shaving anywhere! :rolleyes:
But seriously, a VERY nice setup, Bruce! I'm green.
:)
I knew I'd get some flack over that!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I spent most of Saturday cleaning it up and thought it was a good time to take some pic's.:D

Jim Becker
10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Golly...it has that "Hatfield" shine to it!! But seriously, nice layout and great use of the "tool corral" method for maximizing space.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Nice, clean, well organized! I hope mine turns out that way!

Boyd Gathwright
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
…. Nice and neat, everything has its place.<O:p</O:p

Very good

Boyd ;) ;)

I have always been envious of everyone’s shop tours and how interesting they always are.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Beautiful shop and nice layout maximizing space. I especially like the bench and the fact that I spotted some non-woodworking tools in there. I am willing to bet a lot of us are not just handy with wood but lots of other materials. My shop isn't just home to a benchtop mortiser and thickness planer but 2 different welding machines.

Nice job!

John Miliunas
10-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Now that's one sweet shop, Bruce! :) As others have pointed out, way, WAY too neat, but at least, you justified that with your explanation of just having cleaned it. Everything looks super, but I really like your bench design! Any details? :cool:

Cecil Arnold
10-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Really a great looking shop. I'm envious :D of the space. Have you considered that compulsive neatness is a sickness :) .

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Great looking shop! Well organized and VERY CLEAN. I was beginning to wonder about you until you described the beer drinking area. So you're normal after all. Seriously, I'm full of envy. You have a great shop and great photos!:)

Allen Grimes
10-19-2004, 1:26 AM
Hey Bruce,

That is one nice looking shop. What are the dimensions? I love the bench too. I designed one similar but its not buil yet.

My shop is basicly non-existent. I have a room slightly smaller than a one car garage with a hammer, a handsaw, 1 c-clamp, a 9.6 volt cordless drill driver(gift), and my current lovetoy my Bosch 1619EVS 3 1/4hp plunge router with only one bit. I wish I had a camera to take a before picture right now.

Marshall Harrison
10-19-2004, 6:16 AM
Nice looking shop Bruce. Well organized and accessorzed.

My shop is more like Allen's (though I haave a few more tools). I only have part of a garage that I share with bicycles, lawn mowers and kid's stuff. My wife is having a garage sale this weekend and hopefully I can then move my table saw from the dining room (yes I've usd it there) into the garage.

Thomas Prondzinski
10-19-2004, 7:04 AM
Very nice looking shop,looks well organized.How many lights do you have in the ceiling? How big is the shop?

Thanks Tom

Mark J Bachler
10-19-2004, 7:52 AM
Awesome shop Bruce. I also love the way thing are set up & the bench is beautiful. My shop looks like a plumbing warehouse right now till I get the boiler system finished (Sooooooon).

Rich Konopka
10-19-2004, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Rich, the bench is my own design based on one thet was in American Woodworker several years ago. It’s just a large work area with lots of storage. You must’ve missed my previous post about the iPod :rolleyes: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11952

Bruce, I must have missed that post. That is real nice and classy. I am hoping Santa brings me an Ipod for Xmas. You have really raised the bar on the shop scene. It gives me something to aspire for as I renovate from bare concreate walls.

Knowing that you possess high standards and seek perfection in the shop there is at least one area you are contemplating a renovation. Am I correct to assume that?

Kent Cori
10-19-2004, 9:54 AM
Wow Bruce. I am green with envy. Great place to work! :cool:

Glenn Clabo
10-19-2004, 9:58 AM
SWEET space! Nice layout...bright...the magnifying light tells a tale of age ;) which I sure can relate to.

But I have to tell ya...that Logan makes me envious. It's been a while since I've smelt hot chips on flesh.

P.S. - Got this Bose attachment for my Ipod :rolleyes: last week...
one word - AWESOME
http://www.bose.com/images/home_entertainment/env_sounddock_m.jpg

chris toomey
10-19-2004, 10:10 AM
bruce,

any chance you're looking to adopt a son? i don't eat much, and i've already had orthodonture. i'm available to start immediately.

Chris Padilla
10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Cool!! You have cleverly hid your DC system, too! ;) :D :D

John Bush
10-19-2004, 7:24 PM
Hi Bruce,
Great looking shop! Thanks for the tour. Grab your camera again and snap a few views of the panel sled snoozing under the TS. Looks like the style I want to build. Does the design fit your needs and would you recommend any changes?
Really admire your shop. Thanks for the info, John

Frank Pellow
10-19-2004, 8:14 PM
I knew I'd get some flack over that!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I spent most of Saturday cleaning it up and thought it was a good time to take some pic's.:D

You certainly did a great cleaning job on a great shop.

Dennis Peacock
10-19-2004, 8:18 PM
Excellent shop Bruce!!!!! Simply a great layout and nice design!!!! I think you did real good!!!!! There's only one problem. It's too clean!!! :rolleyes: :p :p :p :D

Bruce Page
10-19-2004, 9:59 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone, they are much appreciated. And yes, I know I’m a little anal on the clean/neat thing….

Rich, I designed & drew up the bench in AutoCAD but lost all the drawings when my old PC crashed. I still have a paper copy tho. P.s, You’ll love the iPod!

Gredo, I’d love to have a nice mig or tig welder!

John M, the bench is raised panel & pegged mortise & tenon construction. (see crappy pics) The maple top measures 36” X 96” and the whole thing is very heavy!

Allen, the shop is just a standard 20’ X 24’ 2-car garage (too small!) I remember years ago working out of a laundry room!

Thomas, I have 8ea 48” X 4 bulb fixtures all with Sylvania Sunstick bulbs.

Glenn, I have been drooling over the Bose Sound Dock! I’ve been spending about 6 week a year in a very isolated place in Alaska, the Bose system would make the next trip a little more bearable. Maybe I can talk Santa into bringing me one. ;)

Chris T, sorry, I already have a son and a son-in-law! :eek:

Chris P, I’m actually testing out a new space-age, non-conductive, invisible plastic tubing developed right here at Sandia Labs. You can’t see it but I have it running all over my ceiling & walls! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

John B, I sent you a PM