PDA

View Full Version : How much DNA should I get for drying stuff

Jack Gaskins
01-18-2010, 5:40 PM
Was looking at Lowes and a gallon of DNA cost $15.50. Was wondering how much it takes to dry a couple small bowls at a time? Can you soak them in a plastic bucker or do you need a metal can? Do you need a lid on your container when you put your blanks in the bucket?

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 6:07 PM
Jack - start small and make sure the process works for you. I buy my DNA one can at a time. You can use a plastic bucket or something to hold the DNA but make sure you can seal it or all your DNA will evaporate!

I use a contractor's trash bag (really thick), a cardboard box and a bunch of shavings. Place turning in the plastic bag, sit it into the box and then use the shavings to pack around the turning (outside the bag). Then fill the bag with enough DNA to cover the turning, seal with a tie-wrap and let it soak. The shavings make it so the DNA in the bag is concentrated over the turning and not sitting in an empty part of a container - if that makes sense.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2010, 6:21 PM
I got a plastic container from Wally World. I put about 2 gallons in it. I put some foam seal around the top. The DNA was put in about 1 1/2 yrs ago and has only went down about 1/4".

Scott Hackler
01-18-2010, 9:09 PM
Around here, if you buy it in a 5 gallon bucket its a whole lot cheaper per gal. I pay about $50 for 5 gal at a local Sherwin Williams store (paint and supplies store)

Jack Gaskins
01-18-2010, 9:24 PM
Thanks guys, guess I will go with only getting 2 gallons and try it out first. If I like it then I can buy some more if needed. I will try and find a good container with a tight fitting lid.

Keith Burns
01-18-2010, 9:44 PM
I use 5 gallons. Get it at a locally owned hardware store for $40 - $50. I found a Crab Bait container on ebay thats about 19" diameter x 12" deep. Whwn it gets low I buy another 5 gallons and top it off.

Richard Madison
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Howcum nobody mentions weighting down the turnings to keep them completely submerged in the DNA? Mine would float.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Richard - if I put the turning in a plastic container - they float, in which case I have a glass candle holder that I weigh the turning down with. When I use the trash bag/shavings method - the turning is kept submerged in the DNA.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
My neighbor is a professional painter. He buys his paint in 5 or 6 gallon containers. The lid on them has an o-ring seal. He is happy to give me some when ever I need one. It works well for DNA storage and soaking.

Jack Gaskins
01-19-2010, 7:30 PM
My neighbor is a professional painter. He buys his paint in 5 or 6 gallon containers. The lid on them has an o-ring seal. He is happy to give me some when ever I need one. It works well for DNA storage and soaking.

Yeah, I went to HD today and purchased two gallons of DNA and they had their 5 gallon orange paint buckets for $2.34 plus .98 cents for the lid so I bought one for the DNA. Hopefully this stuff will speed up the drying time. Having turned nothing but pens I dont really have the patience to wait a whole year for them to dry in a bag :). But with that said, I have a crap load of Ambrosia maple that I need to get turned and bagged so It doesnt go bad on me.

Gary Conklin
01-19-2010, 9:02 PM
I got a plastic container from Wally World. I put about 2 gallons in it. I put some foam seal around the top. The DNA was put in about 1 1/2 yrs ago and has only went down about 1/4".

I was under the impression that regardless of evaporation the alcohol in the container was replaced with water from the wood.

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

Jamie Straw
01-20-2010, 12:19 AM
If anyone happens to live near a good-sized horse stable (say 8-12 horses or more), many of the supplements are shipped in 5-gal containers with tight lids. They're not messy like old paint buckets might be, and the owners should be glad to get rid of them. Taker a few carrots and go ask. :D

Scott Hackler
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I was under the impression that regardless of evaporation the alcohol in the container was replaced with water from the wood.

I dont think it happens in a 1 to 1 ratio. My bowls and other stuff is a whole lot heavier after soaking than when they were roughed out! I have soaked some pretty big stuff and have had to go to an old shop vac bucket to soak my stuff. It holds about 10 gal and there is probably 6-7 gallons in it right now (just added another 5 gal, becuase it was getting low.)

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM

It does to some extent but what I was getting at was you need a good seal on your container. The first time I tried DNA I put a lid on my bucket and didn't think anymore about it. About 2 months went by and decided to turn try a bowl. Low and behold I had lost about 1/3 or more of the DNA.