PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen stove vent motor problem.

Sam Layton
01-18-2010, 3:41 PM
I installed a remote stove vent on my rooftop about 4 years ago in anticipation of building a new kitchen. I installed the vent in the kitchen, Dacor brand. When I turn the vent on it has a loud hum, and turns very slow. No sucking power, and not working properly.

Does anyone have any idea of what would be wrong. I wonder it the motor is bad, or ? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sam

David G Baker
01-18-2010, 4:36 PM
Sam,
Depending on the motor type a replacement motor shouldn't be that expensive from Grainger. If the motor was used to vent the kitchen, cooking grease will coat the motor and slow it down or stall it. Guess more details are needed.
I have had similar problems with bathroom exhaust fans in the past.

Myk Rian
01-18-2010, 4:48 PM
Probably needs a little oil to free up the bearings.

Sam Layton
01-18-2010, 4:49 PM
Thanks David,

I installed the remote vent on the roof about 4 years ago. However, it has never been used. I am now building our new kitchen cabinets, and just installed the inside vent. All items are new and never been used. I just hooked it up and found the problem. I have had these items for a long time and they are out of warranty.

My roof is very steep and cement tile. I was hoping I would not have to go on the roof. The vent hums loud, and turns slow. No way reaching full power. In addition the vent is variable speed and that does not work.

Thanks for the Grainger suggestion. I always forget about Grainger. If it is determined that it is the motor, I will give them a try.

Myk, I don't think there is anywhere to oil it. I can spin it by hand and it turns freely.

Thanks again , Sam

Tom Godley
01-18-2010, 8:42 PM
Sam -- Is the power vent compatible with the speed control on the hood. The speed control that came attached to my hood was not compatible with the larger motor in the remote vent hood.

The original control was designed to adjust the speed of the smaller motor that is found when it is installed as a self contained hood.

The motors in the remote units are often sealed and of a high quality -- unless something leaked and damaged it I would think you have a control issue

Jim Becker
01-18-2010, 8:55 PM
I agree with Tom's suggestion to check compatibility with the components.

Sam Layton
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Tom and Jim, that is interesting, I think you have something there. I think I paid about $400.00 for the remote vent alone, so it should be a good one. The hood (inside the kitchen) comes with two fans if you buy it as a self-contained unit. Looking at the vent, it looks like the two fans were removed, and not necessarily made specifically for a remote roof-top vent. I wonder if the variable switch is made to operate two fans, and does not operate a single motor?

I wonder if I wire the motor direct to 110 and bypass the switch if that would tell me if the fan is working, or would that blow the motor?

I will try and call the manufacture tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thank you both for the impute. It just don't believe the motor is bad.

Thanks again, Sam

Tom Godley
01-19-2010, 2:02 PM
Sam -- mine are 48" units. One is a Viking the other is a DCS -- they are basically the same setup.

The units have two commercial style grease filters w/ drip-pans. Behind these are two squirrel cage blowers driven by one motor sitting between them -- in the middle. I have never seen one of these with two motors -- maybe yours is different.

When you order the unit without the blower -- it is the same unit just no motor. They did not make a special unit for roof venting. The control is still included to drive the standard motor.

Normally you need to get the proper control for whatever power-vent you decide. Hopefully you purchased one that is variable speed as they make an incredible noise when they are on high. Problems can arise when the proper control will not fit inside the hood :(

Lee Schierer
01-19-2010, 4:22 PM
Sam can you connect your roof fan up temporarily to a good 120 Volt circuit and try running the fan by itself. It might be that the variable speed device is not compatible with your single speed motor on the roof.

Al Willits
01-20-2010, 8:43 AM
Sam can you connect your roof fan up temporarily to a good 120 Volt circuit and try running the fan by itself. It might be that the variable speed device is not compatible with your single speed motor on the roof.

This would be my suggestion also, just make sure the motor is rated for 110vac.

Al

Dick Strauss
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Critters????? I've had so many issues with squirrels/birds building nests in power roof vents that prevent the fans from turning...