PDA

View Full Version : Maple NE Bowl

Rob Cunningham
01-18-2010, 3:33 PM
I got some time to finish a couple bowls last week. This one is Silver Maple. It's 6 1/2" by 3 1/3" high with 1/2" wall thickness. I was going to go thinner on the wall but lost some bark. After gluing it back on I didn't want to chance losing it again. The finish is 1/4 lb cut shellac with a few drops of Dark Vintage Maple Transtint dye. Then several coats of 2 lb cut shellac. Any comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

David E Keller
01-18-2010, 4:02 PM
Looks good. Keeping the bark on can be tough sometimes. I tend to like more continuous curves along the sides, but that's just a matter of preference. Thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 4:07 PM
Good looking natural edge bowl Rob! Pretty wood and finish!

Baxter Smith
01-18-2010, 4:10 PM
The bark seems to be an even width all the way around. Took me awhile to figure out why mine sometimes didn't! I prefer the shape of the other one. Straighter sides seem to make it look clunkier to me. But as David said, thats just a personal preference. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Halter
01-18-2010, 4:35 PM
Good looking bowl, but with the thicker sides on this one it looks a bit "heavy" for the design.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2010, 6:51 PM
Good looking bowl. You could glue the bark all the way around it with thin CA if you think it might go. Thinner and more slope on the sides are just my preferance.

John Keeton
01-18-2010, 7:47 PM
Very nice color on this one, too! I think the change in curvature on this one is more distracting than the thickness of the walls. I like thinner, as well, but sometimes the heavy walls can be nice. But, at 6.5", this one is fairly small for such thickness. But, I don't have as many behind me as you do, so take that with a grain of salt!