PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Salad Bowl

Richard Madison
01-18-2010, 1:41 PM
Just an ordinary walnut salad bowl, the first of two for a client. Nothing special, but haven't shown anything for a while. It is about 5" x 14", constructed with Titebond III (supposed to be waterproof), with three light, wipe-on coats of walnut oil. This is the update to my threads about walnut lumber in Austin and walnut oil. Wall thickness about 7/16", as this is intended to be a utility piece that will be used frequently, definitely not an "art" piece. C. & C. welcome.

Quinn McCarthy
01-18-2010, 1:54 PM
Nice job Richard.

I had been thinking about making some salad bowls. I like the design.

Quinn

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 2:02 PM
Looks really good to me! Your customer will be very pleased with it!

Harvey Crouch
01-18-2010, 2:07 PM
Curious Richard, what type bottom did you use?

Richard Madison
01-18-2010, 2:22 PM
Forgot to mention that Harvey. The bottom is laminated from six pieces of quarter sawn areas of the available lumber. The idea was to simulate a completely quarter sawn board in order to minimize movement across the grain. Granted it is a large bottom and there are cross grain joints at the "ends" of the bottom, but with proper care it has a good chance of staying together. I have some pieces done in the early 90's with large flat bottoms that have held up remarkably well. My client will be encouraged to let me know if there is ever a problem.

Keith Burns
01-18-2010, 2:39 PM
Excellent bowl Richard. Your client should be pleased.

Steve Mawson
01-18-2010, 3:50 PM
Looks very stable and should last a long time.

David E Keller
01-18-2010, 3:56 PM
I think it's beautiful. It still qualifies as an art piece in my book even though it's functional... No rule against things being beautiful and practical at the same time.

Baxter Smith
01-18-2010, 4:15 PM
I agree with David about practical and beautiful. Everytime I see a segmented piece I think, "that looks like a lot of work!"

Dave Halter
01-18-2010, 4:37 PM
That's a beautiful piece. I'm sure the customer will be very happy with it.

Harvey Ghesser
01-18-2010, 4:59 PM
Beautiful salad bowl, Richard! Just beautiful....

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2010, 6:42 PM
Beautiful bowl Richard. Your client will be thrilled with them.

Allen Neighbors
01-18-2010, 7:01 PM
Well done, Richard. Like the flat bottom... no tipping that way. Looks good!

Curt Fuller
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't know about your "ordinary" and "not art" descriptions. I'd describe this as a extraordinary piece of art. I love the simplicity of the segmenting and the overall shape is very nice to look at. That's a beautiful salad bowl, I think.

John Keeton
01-19-2010, 6:39 AM
I really like the long grain segmentation, and the shape/form of the bowl. Looks very stable and solid, and the style of segmenting compiments that very well. And, of course, it is walnut and one can't go wrong with walnut!!

Very nice piece!

Richard Madison
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for your generous comments. For the folks who warned me not to use grocery store walnut oil, the stuff is indeed not "setting up". Fortunately it was applied rather sparingly, so it may be feasible to absorb any excess on paper towels before delivery. We shall see. Meanwhile the second bowl ready for turning today. Thanks again for your comments.

Tony De Masi
01-19-2010, 1:51 PM
Richard, I agree with the others in that it certainly is functional but a really great piece at the same time.

Tony

Roland Martin
01-19-2010, 5:04 PM
I have to agree with all the others, "functional work of art". I hope to get to that level someday. The Oh-So interesting walnut tree!

Richard Madison
01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks Tony and Roland. I appreciate your support.