PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Mont Blanc pens

Mike Minto
01-18-2010, 9:26 AM
You know, I had a pen and pencil set I bought years ago, made by Mont Blanc. A little gold, some plastic and some ink - about $100 each. Sold them on eBay. I made my wife a Cigar pen out of Gabon Ebony, and it looks nicer, I think. I read somewhere the 'basic' MB pens cost about $15 for the company to make, and they charge what they do. I'd rather have a hand-made, anyday.

Link to pic (sorry for the lousy photos): http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112394

Josh Reet
01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Even among expensive pens, I have always found Montblanc pens to be overpriced. I much prefer Waterman or Scheaffer pens if I am spending money.

Mike Minto
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I know this is getting to be OT, but have you ever watched the prez or other govt 'officials' signing documents? i think they are using MB's (at least an expensive, high quality pen, I'm sure), signing one letter with each pen (you can see a box of them on the table) and then giving the pens away as souvenirs to their presumably wealthy friends/constituents/other pols. makes me wanna yak. :(:mad:

Skip Spaulding
01-18-2010, 2:13 PM
Hey Mike, seems like I remember reading on this site that someone sold a bunch of high end custom pens to VP Cheney for some special signing.

David E Keller
01-18-2010, 4:16 PM
I remember the thread about the pens for Cheney... I think they were intended to be gifts for staffers and visiting dignitaries.

I haven't purchased an ink pen in a number of years. You almost can't buy something nicer than what you can turn yourself.

Nice work on the two from your post. Watch out for cracks in that Ebony pen, as I hear it happens more often than not.