PDA

View Full Version : headstock / tailstock alignment

Brent Grooms
01-18-2010, 7:44 AM
well I decided on a new temporary/semi permanent location for the new lathe and I even got the plug on it and ran power to it.... IT RUNS!!! WOOHOO!

Now, I have not adjusted the feet to make the bed level in both directions but I checked the alignment with the centers and from the front, no issue.

From the top however... see attached image...

Do I have too high of expectations?

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 8:59 AM
Nothing wrong with your expectations - just go ahead and level your lathe - then check again. Chances are everything will line up just fine then!

Dick Strauss
01-18-2010, 3:12 PM
Brent,
Your expectations are fine. But, as Steve mentioned, you need to do your leveling and you'll probably be in good shape. Then, once it shows level in all directions, you can make the fine adjustments as needed.

FYI-It looks like the tailstock front or headstock rear adjustment is higher than the rest based on the current alignment.

Steve Mawson
01-18-2010, 3:28 PM
I did not check mine until everything was leveled and it was "right on". Hopefully yours will be to.

Dave Mueller
01-18-2010, 5:57 PM
Brent,
You will probably be fine after levelling your lathe. however, if you really want to check the alignment, look at the "Razor Blade Test" on this page http://www.annisquamgranite.com/8x12ReviewPg2.htm. Although it was done for a metalworking lathe, I tried it on my new VL300 longbed and it worked pretty well.
Dave

Allen Neighbors
01-18-2010, 6:20 PM
If all else fails, screw it down to the table, and put a dime washer under one of the tailstock feet. Then check it again.

Brent Grooms
01-18-2010, 7:33 PM
The razorblade test makes a great deal of sense.. Thanks for the link. I am going to get out there sometime this week and get things leveled and I will post back the findings but I thought I would post a couple of other picts of my new baby... Delivered last week...

Pict of the centers as viewed from the front.

Brent Grooms
01-23-2010, 6:21 PM
Well, got everything leveled and the alignment is much improved. It wont pass a razorblade alignment but it will do until I figure out its permanent location in the shop.

Wow, it is amazing what a difference some mass makes in roughing out a bowl... it doesnt make the operator any better but its alot more fun!:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 6:46 PM
Brent - glad to hear that leveling the lathe helped! Also glad to hear that you are having fun turning! A quality lathe does make a difference!

Looking forward to seeing some turnings off the new lathe real soon!

Brent Grooms
01-23-2010, 9:48 PM
I had two "sortas" turned and shavings scattered from one end of the shop to the other. They are "sortas" because in the excitement of not having to fight the lathe or the tools, I forgot to plan thru and visualize what I was trying to shape and well....

On the bright side, I think I can make a decent save on the applewood blank and the ash one, a pretty decent crack had already appeared by the time I closed up the shop so we'll see how things look in the a.m.