PDA

View Full Version : Shop benches

Chad Easterling
01-18-2010, 1:15 AM
Here are some pics of my shop benches. Before our move back in June I had a dedicated 16x24 woodshop (heated/cooled with water...). Now I'm in two bays of a 3-car garage. Got to love what we do for our kids :rolleyes:

The first picture is my main workbench. It is 4x8. Legs are 4x4 mortise and tenon construction. It has adjustable feet in the bottom so I can level it. The top is 3/4" MDF with a sheet of 1/8" masonite. The masonite has a gloss white finish on it. This allows me to draw out designs on the tabletop and cut according to the full-scale pattern. I get the masonite with the paint on it from Lowes.

The socond picture is of my pitiful tablesaw. I removed the tablesaw from the legs it came on and built the cabinet out of desperation for more table surface. It has helped a ton. Believe it or not, all of my projects have been done using this tablesaw.....

Chad Easterling
01-18-2010, 1:20 AM
The first picture in this group is of my router table. It is on casters so I can move it around. The drawer has peg-board in it to hold my various bits along with a section for table inserts, wrenches and featherboards. I store my plunge router, dovetail jig and other accessories underneath.

To the left of the router table is my dedicated mortiser stand I built and the drill press is mounted to an old sewing machine table.

The second picture is of my bandsaw stand. The legs were salvaged from my tablesaw. I added the box on the stand to increase the height and put a drawer in it for storage of tools for the bandsaw.

John Keeton
01-18-2010, 6:47 AM
Chad, some nice work on the benches, and I love the repurposed sewing machine cabinet!! Gives your shop some style!;)

Chad Easterling
01-18-2010, 8:44 AM
Thanks for the comments. I hate to throw stuff away and the sewing machine base was just the right height. I'll eventually get around to putting a drawer in it and painting it, I hope :)