PDA

View Full Version : Pendants for a friend

Scott Lux
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
A long lost friend (a girl I dated 30 years ago) wanted to buy three of my pendants after seeing them on FaceBook.

One of them chose to jump off the backing plate I used. Still working on a better system there. I remounted and finished it, but when trying to sand & polish the finish, I went through in one spot. Of course I had not been able to duplicate the original mount point and angle, so I wasn't even.

After sanding off and refinishing three times, I gave up and made another. Which promptly did exactly the same thing! Grrr. After stripping and refinishing it twice, I realized it was hand-sanding only. Grrr. So I went back and re-did #3 as well.

I'm not thrilled with two of them, so I'm sending all four and only charging for three. LOML assures me that she will love three of them, but admits she doesn't know which three.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Those are beauties Scott. I really like those.

Jack Gaskins
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Lux;1316218]A long lost friend (a girl I dated 30 years ago) wanted to buy three of my pendants after seeing them on FaceBook.

One of them chose to jump off the backing plate I used. Still working on a better system there. I remounted and finished it, but when trying to sand & polish the finish, I went through in one spot. Of course I had not been able to duplicate the original mount point and angle, so I wasn't even.

After sanding off and refinishing three times, I gave up and made another. Which promptly did exactly the same thing! Grrr. After stripping and refinishing it twice, I realized it was hand-sanding only. Grrr. So I went back and re-did #3 as well.

I'm not thrilled with two of them, so I'm sending all four and only charging for three. LOML assures me that she will love three of them, but admits she doesn't know which three.[/QUOT

Pendants look good. Did you use one of the pendant chucks they sell over on the penturners website (penturners.org)?

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Look pretty good to me Scott! I am sure she will love all four of them!

Scott Lux
01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Jack, yes I bought the deluxe model. I haven't used the part that makes it the deluxe, but I will.

Thanks for the kind words all. When I look at them all I see are flaws and mistakes.

Jamie Straw
01-18-2010, 7:13 PM
Pendants look good. Did you use one of the pendant chucks they sell over on the penturners website (penturners.org)?

It seems their merchandising situation has changed. I would like to see/learn about said chuck. Any other options you might be able to give me a link to? I Googled, but the only result was assigned a grey-questionmark by Norton, and I don't visit those.:(

Jim Slovik
01-18-2010, 7:43 PM
Jamie,
I think this is what you're looking for. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48855
Jim

Jamie Straw
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Jamie,
I think this is what you're looking for. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48855
Jim

Holy Smokes! Oh, thanks Jim. I hope they're patenting that thing and putting it on the market. It's up to 34 pages so far, mostly orders it seems.

I saw my first turned pendants a few months ago at the woodworker's show in Port Townsend, WA. Very cool, I was wondering how they were done. Intriguing!

Now, if I can just find the tutorial they referenced in that thread..... Guess I'll register and ferret it out. Edit: My goodness, that is a fabulous site. I went through the 2009 Library. Great resource.

Jim Slovik
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Jamie,
You'll find what you're looking for here. http://www.yoyospin.com/video/
Jim

David E Keller
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
The tutorial is in the library from 2009 on the IAP website. I bought one without any problems. I've use it a few times and I really like it. Nice job on the pendants.

Jamie Straw
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
The tutorial is in the library from 2009 on the IAP website. I bought one without any problems. I've use it a few times and I really like it. Nice job on the pendants.

Yep, I found it. The reviews on the chuck are outstanding!

Scott Lux
01-19-2010, 9:37 AM
The reviews are outstanding, and the tool is even better. I may modify mine so I can take off sacrificial blocks without scraping glue. Just 3 countersunk screw holes in the secondary plate. I'm a very satisfied customer.

Darryl Hansen
01-19-2010, 4:48 PM
Here is the source for the pendant backer plates.
http://www.creativependesign.com/

Richard Joiner makes them. the deluxe (get that one )run about $50 with shipping. Make certain you put pressure on the double sided tape when you mount your stock (I assume you used ds tape for mounting). Ive made several and the only ones to come loose are those I was too lazy to wait for about 10 minutes after sticking them on the plate. Use your tail stock to put the pressure on the stock.

Scott Lux
01-19-2010, 7:05 PM
I usually tighten the tailstock down on it and leave it overnight. My problem is that she wanted really large holes in them, and I no longer had enough are in the center for gripping.