PDA

View Full Version : DIY Kreg Klamp Table Suggestions?

Matt Meiser
01-17-2010, 9:45 PM
A friend and I are both building Kreg Klamp tables using kits we bought at the show in Columbus yesterday. The kits came with 2 clamps, 2 33-3/4" rails, and the guide blocks. We also bought an extra piece of rail which we are going to split which will give us a working area of about 50-5/8" x 33-3/4". And we each bought an extra clamp.

My idea for the table itself is to use 3/4" ply for the base for strength and then use 3/4" melamine for the main table surface for the ability slick glue-resistant surface. I'm thinking that will just be screwed or bolted on to make it replaceable.

Both of us plan to just put them on top of another work surface when we use them, at least for now. He had the idea of hanging it on the wall and tipping it out for use. I like the idea (kind of like the big 4x8 framing table) but not sure how it would work in reality.

Before we start, any cool (kool?) ideas or lessons learned?

keith ouellette
01-17-2010, 9:48 PM
flat , flat ,flat. I find that helped with installing the screws on a work piece.

Terry Ventorini
01-18-2010, 4:59 AM
on their website they have detiled drwings for diy table. I used double 3/4 for the base plus 3/4 for the table (3 pcs all together). mines only 3' x 3'. works gret even for large faceframes. use surrounding workbenches for support

Sue Wise
01-18-2010, 7:49 AM
I purchased the rails and clamps to make such a table. I wanted to drill holes in it so that it would be a combo MFT and Kreg Klamp table. This is a project that I still need to do.

-Sue

Dave Mendoza
01-18-2010, 8:15 AM
I just built my table using the kit I purchased at the Baltimore show. I did discover one thing right before I screwed on the top piece. Leave a small gap between the top work piece and the rail. If you don't you won't be able to swing your clamps 360 degrees. I put my rails in a C fashion on the table. That way I can screw both the left and right side of the face frames easily.

I also purchased 2 of the rail clamps from Woodcraft when they were blowing them out last November. So, I now have 4 clamps on my table.

One other item to note. The bolts that came with kit were 1.25" long. For 3/4" boards, the ideal length would be 1". I believe the Kreg base sheet is 1" thick and that's why they included longer bolts. I added an extra nut and washer in order to make it work for my 3/4" sheet. Hope this helps and good luck. The clamp table is a great concept!

Bob Sanders
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Found this (http://kregjig.ning.com/forum/topics/kreg-bench-klamp-system)through a quick Google Search. Lots of good ideas there.