PDA

View Full Version : Green Locust

Eric Kosanovich
01-17-2010, 9:20 PM
Last week i was installing a heat pump in a stripmall and what did i find out back.... but the landscaper cuting down a locust tree.
He was vary happy to unload it on to my truck.
I don't think it's vary good pen makein wood tho.

Richard Madison
01-17-2010, 9:30 PM
Looks like a legitimate gloat Eric. Hope you got some big pieces and waxed the ends. Maybe some nice bowls and hf's hiding in there.

Scott Lux
01-17-2010, 9:48 PM
It's wood, has great grain, and is free. How could it not be a great pen making wood? Nice haul.

David E Keller
01-17-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice pickup. I've turned pens from black locust in the past, and I thought they were nice. In my opinion, the pens look better when turned from cross cut blanks. It has a nice chatoyance, but stay close to the grinder... Locust is pretty hard when it's dry, and light cuts are needed for the cross cut blanks.

Baxter Smith
01-17-2010, 9:57 PM
Might make some interesting NE bowls. My only expereience with it was making some wooden pegs on a shaving horse. Will be interested to see what you can come up with!

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 9:59 PM
Looks like a gloat to me. Turn it as green as you can because when dry it is like concrete or at least the black locust and honey locust I turned was.

Sid Matheny
01-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I have seen great pens and bowls turned out of Locust. Nice haul!

Sid

Jim Underwood
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I've made bobbins and seam pressers out of that stuff. It's a nice hard wood. And the color when in a finished piece will surprise you. Find some of it that's figured and make pen blanks out of it.....

Eric Kosanovich
01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Well Thanks everyone for ya input.
Richard sorry i don't know what hf's are or how to find them.
Baxter not sure what NE bowls are but you live vary close to me
you are more then welcome to come over and have some of this i have 7 logs about
12" x 16" x 12" tall. there is no way i'm going to use it all befor it gets hard for me to work with.

here is a photo of the lot:

Baxter Smith
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Eric, I didn't know what a NE bowl was either a little over a month ago. :D Natural Edge. The edge/rim of the bowl follows the shape of the outside of the tree.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Eric - quite the gloat! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

HF - means hollow form. Do a search here and I am sure you can find a couple of photos.