PDA

View Full Version : My Father's Hand

Tyler Howell
10-18-2004, 4:21 PM
Guided by my father's hand.

I've been into this Neander Course for about 5 weeks now and I can't say enough about the enlightenment and my different approach to WW activities. I deliberately spent most of my time fettling my flea market Stanley #7 and new Stanley LA block plane thinking they were most salvageable of my menagerie. Last weeks assignment called for a #4 or reasonable fax. Hauled out my dad's vintage 60s Handyman and started to work. I remember shavings around the house and even got it to work (sorta) on my one and only Luthier project. It wasn't till I got it cleaned lapped and lubed that it took on a life of its own. I slipped in a Hook iron I had been working on in class and fired her up. It had a feel all its' own. Not the smoothest, not the thinnest fluffy shavings, not the best weight or balance, but special. It was guided by my father's hand.:o

This particular class was kinda neat. In addition to jointing and milling lumber, we got to see and road test a wide assortment of standard and specialty planes. Both Tom and his assistant Mark have large collections of planes all road ready.

Here I'm using a vintage carpenters tongue and groove combo machine. Don't think I'm ready for a room full of T&G wall paneling.

Louis Bois
10-18-2004, 4:33 PM
Thanks for the PICS and story...but I might add that you are having WAY too much fun...that third pic speaks volumes!!! :)

Dick Parr
10-18-2004, 4:34 PM
Looks like your enjoying yourself there Tyler.

But where does the cord or batteries go on one of those things?? :D I remember my grandfather showing how it was done and he had that same look on his face. :) I never could get the nak of it. :( So I will stick with power tools. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2004, 4:54 PM
Tyler...I appreciate the story......but you look like you're concentrating awfully hard!.......I'm not sure but I think we've lost you down the slope on the dark side............Neander?????.......

Leif Hanson
10-18-2004, 5:18 PM
Great story, Tyler!

I know the connection of which you speak - it is a wonderful experience to use the tools of a revered teacher, mentor, or forefather. Don't let these guys with the cords slow you down!

Leif

Bruce Page
10-18-2004, 6:18 PM
Neat post Tyler. You sure look like you're enjoying yourself!

You got that gold standard 66 up for sale yet? :D

Tom LaRussa
10-18-2004, 8:11 PM
It had a feel all its' own. Not the smoothest, not the thinnest fluffy shavings, not the best weight or balance, but special. It was guided by my father's hand.:o
Tyler,

Call it what you will: romance, a sense of history, a connection to one who is no longer with us but still loved -- hand tools have something that even the very finest power tools cannot provide.:)

I think we've got you, my friend. :p

By the way, I just checked my email for the first time in several days.

I don't get many messages, and I get tired of reading about how inadequate I am in the maleness department -- :( SHEESH! :( -- so I don't check very often.

Anyhoo, enough of my lame excuses. :o

Here is all the contact info I can come up with:

Email: sales@WynnEnv.com (sales@WynnEnv.com)
Tel (215) 659- 9667
Fax (215) 659- 5332
http://www.WynnEnv.com (http://www.wynnenv.com/)

The best filter to use, according to Mr. Pentz, is the 9E300BL, which has 300 square feet of filter surface and is 99.99 % efficient at 0.5 micron. It can be found on this page: http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

HTH,

Tom

Erin Raasch
10-18-2004, 8:51 PM
Gosh darn it, Tyler, that story 'bout brought tears to my eyes. Though I don't have a personal connection with any of the former stewards of my hand tools, I still feel like I'm a link in a chain. We picked up an old Disston D-100 skewback rip saw at an antique mall near hear - and I like to think that it could have been used 100 years ago to build the house we're living in.

I don't know where my tools will be 100 years from now when I'm long gone, but I like to think they'll be well taken care of in some great-granddaughters workshop :)

Erin

Bob Smalser
10-18-2004, 9:08 PM
Want some real fun when you're ready, Tyler?

I have a surprisingly popular class I take to local Grade Schools occasionally where I lay out and explain a selection of “old-time” hand tools and proceed to froe and plane a chunk of log into a board with the kid’s help. Then the kids are broken into small groups and get to try all the tools under their teacher’s and my supervision.

I use folding cafeteria tables and a dozen or so hand screws to hold the scraps they get to play with.

Their favorite tool? The brace and bit, of course...then the planes.

The grins on the faces of 7-10 year olds more than pays for the shop time lost....and you should see all the teachers playing hooky to slip into the back of the classroom or stand in the doorway to watch.

Mark Singer
10-18-2004, 9:23 PM
Tyler,

Great story! I knew you had it in ya! You can always push a switch if you get bored...

Marc Hills
10-19-2004, 9:17 AM
Not the smoothest, not the thinnest fluffy shavings, not the best weight or balance, but special. It was guided by my father's hand.:o

If you had to reduce to a single sentiment every reason why any of us pursue this mad obsession, that would be it. It's why we build for the future; it's why we're facinated by the past, it's why we labor in the fashion of our forefathers.

That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Kent Cori
10-19-2004, 9:33 AM
Great story and sentiment Tyler. Now that you're a full fledged Neander I suppose we'll see a for sale sign on your mustard yellow tool soon. :D

Howard Rosenberg
10-19-2004, 9:52 AM
Thank you for sharing your story about using your dad's gear.
It's a great thing to be able to bring our own "voice" to the one that helped shape ours so long ago.
All the very best.
Howard

Bart Leetch
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Looks like your enjoying yourself there Tyler.

But where does the cord or batteries go on one of those things?? :D I remember my grandfather showing how it was done and he had that same look on his face. :) I never could get the nak of it. :( So I will stick with power tools. ;)

Dick

It's in the grip, firm but with feeling you've got to be sensitive. Its also in the fettling of the tool & you must be in fine fettle too, just look at Tyler. :D :eek: :D