PDA

View Full Version : Critique please!

Walt Helms
01-17-2010, 8:41 PM
Segmented vase using:

Purpleheart, padauk and figured maple.

9" diameter, 4.25" high, 4" diameter opening in top of vase.

Used compound and flat segmented rings.

Sanded to 1500...no finish applied.

Also, my first photo using a hand-built light tent!

Brian Effinger
01-17-2010, 8:47 PM
Very nice Walt. :) Is this what you used your homemade jaws for?

To be honest I'm not crazy about the shape, but the use of the different woods is beautiful, and the zig zag in the top rings is really interesting and grabbed my attention right away. I'd really like to see where you can take that idea. Just run with it and have fun. Having fun is the most important thing anyway. ;)

Brian

Curt Fuller
01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Walt, that's a nice turning! The walls look to be a bit thick but if that's how you like them that's what counts. The segmenting is very interesting. I'm mathematically and angle challenged so I always wonder 'how'd he do that'. And the photo is very nice and clear and shows the detail in your work very well.

David E Keller
01-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice work on the segmenting. Good choice of contrasting woods. I don't really like the form... It seems visually top heavy to me. Keep it up... I think you're off to a good start.

Richard Madison
01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Pretty good photo Walt, but I would have not shown the side with misaligned points of the wavy part. Many turners believe that shape ("form" if you must) is most important, and some (many?) segmenters believe that alignment is critical.

Bill Bolen
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I like most everything about this piece. The segmenting, including design, are wonderful. Love the colors you used. Now if the foot were gone I think it would be a 10 on most anyone's scale. I hate to make any statements that detract from someone's hard work but I think the foot really detracts from the overall effect. ...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Walt - looks like you did a pretty good job on the photo tent! Nice lighting - great photo!

I have not tried segmenting yet - so can only guess at how hard it is to keep everything aligned - but you did real good on the joinery! Nice use of contrasting natural colors and an interesting design also!

Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Robert McGowen
01-18-2010, 7:05 AM
Your joints look nice and tight with no gaps. Looks like at least a second generation glue-up on the top, which is a challenge to do.

My critique would be that it appears that you were excited about the segmenting part (good!) and forgot about the form and color coordination part.

Mauricio Ulloa
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Really nice job!

Thom Sturgill
01-18-2010, 1:00 PM
Walt, I'd have to agree that the size of the foot is a distraction to the form. The segmenting pattern is interesting and complex, and I doubt that I could have gotten the joints any better aligned, but I've done very little segmenting.

One of my problems with most segmenting is that it is hard to match both color and grain pattern in areas that are all one wood type. Many segmenters seem to dodge the issue by using checker board patterns or imposing different species as 'mortar'. It appears that you opted for emphasizing the grain difference by choosing pieces with a major change in grain, but similar color. I like that solution, it's similar in concept to the idea of 'if you can't fix it, celebrate it".

Walt Helms
01-18-2010, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the honest feedback!

Indeed...I was more focused on the segment design on the top of the vase...and not so focused on the foot!

It seems like most comments were directed at the foot of the vase and the shape.

So...what changes should I make?

What changes should I make to the foot? Smaller...less weight....different color...loose the foot altogether?

What should I consider changing with regards to the shape of the vase itself? Should I make it taller...make the segments thinner...?

Thanks for your inputs!

Richard Madison
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Walt,
You can learn a lot about shape (form, if we must) by simply studying the work and albums of others whose work you admire. I often copy, save, and try to learn from pictures of pieces that are especially good. Learn to use the "1/3" rule and the "Golden Mean" (something about a ratio of 1:1.6-- I think). This actually takes a conscious effort, but can improve your results.

Thom Sturgill
01-19-2010, 7:28 AM
Walt, without seeing more pictures, its hard to say whether you could reduce the foot on this piece. Is it one solid piece? The rule of thirds (in part) dictates that the diameter of the foot should not exceed 1/3 of the diameter of the largest part of the vessel when applied to vessels of this general shape. Its a hard rule to state as its not an absolute and has many applications. Really it says that you should analyze a design by dividing it in thirds and balancing 2 thirds against the other one.

The only suggestion that I would make on the pattern is that the angled side pieces (on the white stripe) seem too long compared to the top and bottom of the curve. If you do another try to make that part two segments that form a slight V to smooth the curve line a little more. Of course that's easy to *say* and I doubt I will do as well when I start trying segmented work more complex than the collar rings that I have done. :D