PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Bowl

Bill Bulloch
01-17-2010, 7:42 PM
Well, here is my fifth attempt at segmenting. I'm getting better, my joints are good and tight both between segments and rings. I worked hard and long fine turning my table saw sled to cut true angles (at least at 15 degrees) and I am careful to make sure that each and every ring is flat before glueing. What ya think?

Oh, it has a diameter of 11 1/2 inches and a hight of 4 inches.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 7:49 PM
Bill that is a beauty. Really nice form and finish.

Brian George
01-17-2010, 8:01 PM
Your sittin' and thinkin' shor 'nough seems to dood it!

Robert McGowen
01-17-2010, 8:01 PM
Hi Bill,

Nice piece. It is hard to built something with such contrast and keep everything aligned, as anything out of whack really shows. It looks like you did a fine job.

Only negative comment is that the bottom is almost sure to crack and separate from the bowl the way that you have built it. No matter which way the wood moves, there is no place for it to "give" any. I use a floating disc in all the pieces I do, but if you did not want to go that route, a solid bottom would end up being more stable than segmenting it all together like you have it. It may be counter-intuitive to what you would think, but time will tell.

Good luck with your next project!

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2010, 8:15 PM
Bill - I haven't done any segmented stuff yet - but I really like the contrasting colors in this one! Hope the bottom holds together for you!

David E Keller
01-17-2010, 8:37 PM
I think it's beautiful. Nice work.

Brian Effinger
01-17-2010, 8:43 PM
Impressive Bill. What woods did you use?

Only negative comment is that the bottom is almost sure to crack and separate from the bowl the way that you have built it. No matter which way the wood moves, there is no place for it to "give" any. I use a floating disc in all the pieces I do, but if you did not want to go that route, a solid bottom would end up being more stable than segmenting it all together like you have it. It may be counter-intuitive to what you would think, but time will tell.

Even though I only made one segmented piece years ago, that was my thought too when I saw the bottom. Of course I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Great piece and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Brian

Richard Madison
01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Nice piece Bill, but +1 what Robert said. The bottom is fairly small diameter, and a single, solid piece would serve better.

Bill Bolen
01-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Pretty piece. Your hard work sure paid off...Bill..

Mike Wenman
01-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Looks like you have this figured out fairly well. It looks fantastic. Now it's time to move on to open segmented turnings.

Mike