PDA

View Full Version : Help With New Table Saw

Dahl Troy Perry
01-17-2010, 6:46 PM
I have a freind that wants to buy a table saw he has never done woodworking sucked him in by working all weekend in the shop:D:D:D now he wants to start woodworking:cool: wants me to help him buy tools I have a old sears tablesaw 3 hp had a 1hp and it did not have any power but my 3hp works good most saws now only have 1 1/2--1 3/4 hp in the price range that he can pay he don't want a portable so is that hp better than the old sears saw that were 1 hp or were they not really 1hp??? any advice on good models that comes with good fence would like to stay under $800 .Help me have not looked at saws in awhile.. Because he wants a router and table, planner, lathe beltsander drill press boy when I suck them in I suck them in deeeeeep:D:D:D He is about to retire and need a hobby any lives 150 miles away.

Dahl

Maurice Ungaro
01-17-2010, 6:54 PM
Two tips:

Step away from the caffeine
Use the "." key to end your sentences. Makes for an easier read.

Rich Johnson
01-17-2010, 8:05 PM
I am kinda in the same position. There are so many threads on this which is best. I am in St Louis and only 3 1/2 hours away from a Grizly location. What strikes me funny is that most cabnet saws only have 25 inch to right of blade. Hmmm so if I want to rip 3/4 full sheet ply for 30 inch tall cabnets I cant. Not unless I buy extended rails for a fence. Then I have to have the shop room for 54+ extention table. Some of the contractors saws have the ability but there are tradeoffs...... I find that strange.

mickey cassiba
01-17-2010, 8:29 PM
Two tips:

Maurice, I durn near ruined my keyboard!

Austin Grote
01-17-2010, 8:43 PM
I am kinda in the same position. There are so many threads on this which is best. I am in St Louis and only 3 1/2 hours away from a Grizly location. What strikes me funny is that most cabnet saws only have 25 inch to right of blade. Hmmm so if I want to rip 3/4 full sheet ply for 30 inch tall cabnets I cant. Not unless I buy extended rails for a fence. Then I have to have the shop room for 54+ extention table. Some of the contractors saws have the ability but there are tradeoffs...... I find that strange.
A few thoughts about the big fences...

I have a 50 inch Biesemeyer fence, it is very cumbersome in a 2 car garage (dedicated shop space, no cars), when not in use I turn it against a wall. And it collects all kinds of stuff that does not belong on a saw, it becomes a table, workbench etc...

I have found that it is easier to have plywood sheets cut down by the lumber supplier, or use a guided circular saw to rip it down to a manageable size.

Full plywood sheets are too heavy and dangerous to cut on a table saw unless you have huge infeed and outfeed tables.

I have just purchased a set of 31 inch fence rails for my saw, hopefully I can keep the saw in one place and it will not stick out from the wall too far.

Dahl,Rich, think about looking around for used machines, you might find an older cabinet saw in good condition for the price of a new contractors saw.

Myk Rian
01-17-2010, 9:05 PM
Two tips:

I gave up after trying to read half of it.