PDA

View Full Version : Andre Martel - hook tool - any users?

John Keeton
01-17-2010, 6:25 PM
I watched the end grain hollowing video by Martel, and the hook tool he uses really seemed to hog out wood in a hurry. Any users out there?

David E Keller
01-17-2010, 6:36 PM
Never used one, but I stayed up until 1am watching the videos on that website!

John Keeton
01-17-2010, 6:42 PM
Lot of good stuff on there, David!!

Bob Hampton
01-17-2010, 6:56 PM
john
ive been using one for about a month now and really like it ..once u get the learning curve out of the way it is a sweet tool ...
I do alot of end grain vases from 6 inches deep to 10 inch..and b4 i got the hook tool perfected i switch tools a half dozen times for just one hollowing ..now i can use the hook for almost all of it depending on size and depth

but be warned only make them out of drill rod material or hss bar stock..if u try just using regular bar stock and thinking all u would have to do is temper it ..well i tried and tried but could not get a good edge on them and wouldnt cut worth a darn...then i tried the drill rod and thats what made the difference once u get it done its a pleasure to use.

bob

John Keeton
01-17-2010, 7:14 PM
Bob, I take it that you made yours. How did you get the profile and shape in drill stock or HSS? In looking at the one he sells, it is made of D2 tool steel.

http://www.martel.public.netc.net/crochets.GIF

Bill Bolen
01-17-2010, 11:47 PM
John, the around the woods site had a quick tutorial on making a hook tool. I think he used a concrete nail...Bill..
http://aroundthewoods.com/tools.shtml

Dan Forman
01-18-2010, 3:05 AM
John, only been turning a few weeks and already getting into the esoterica? :)

Dan

Leo Van Der Loo
01-18-2010, 5:02 AM
In the hands of a professional, an old world skew and hook-tool are the most amazing tools to be used in a fashion, have a look here and then repeat a couple of times, it goes so fast you really have to look closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhR9ALVd0Js

Jeff Nicol
01-18-2010, 5:14 AM
John, The martel cutters are cast from D2 steel as per the web page. So they are cast in the basic shape before they are sharpened. This is much easier than what we can make at home. I have made a few and since I did the drill bit cutter I don't use them any more. You can get pretty much the same type cuts on wet wood like he does with the cutter I sent you. When you get your Delta give it a try.

Have fun and don't get to desperate waiting for the new lathe!

Jeff

John Keeton
01-18-2010, 7:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Jeff, I will try the hollowing tip from you before I go further with this idea. Martel's tool tip is not CHEAP!! On the plus side, it is 3/8" and will fit in the tip of the tool you made should I decide to get one.

Dan, the more I get into this turning thing, the more esoterica I find!! It is a much more varied art than is flatwork - or at least, so it seems.

Leo, thanks for the link. I will have to wait until I get to the office to watch that. My satellite connection takes a notion to slow me down every now and then as a part of their "fair access" policy. This morning is one of those times - agonizingly slow!!! I am 2 miles from town, and can't get DSL!:mad:

Bill, same for your link, too. Hopefully, I get a lathe sometime this week, and get to play with some of this stuff!

Doug W Swanson
01-18-2010, 8:24 AM
Leo,

That is an amazing video. You can tell that they have been doing that for a while!

Does anyone have any experience with a skew like they were using? It was a round bar that was flattened and widened at the end to form a skew. It wasn't like the typical skew I've seen made from flat stock.

Just wondering...
Doug

Baxter Smith
01-18-2010, 8:52 AM
Neat video. Always wondered how they made those. I didn't realize it was so easy!;)

John Keeton
01-18-2010, 9:27 AM
In the hands of a professional.....And, those are the key words!!!!

Thanks, Leo. Amazing footage, and it was obvious that guy had ridden that horse before - many times!!

Jon Lanier
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
In the hands of a professional, an old world skew and hook-tool are the most amazing tools to be used in a fashion, have a look here and then repeat a couple of times, it goes so fast you really have to look closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhR9ALVd0Js

Skills yes... long sleeves like that.... just asking to have an arm tore up.

Alan Zenreich
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Then again, about half of the turner's smocks I've seen (and use) have long sleeves (generally with knit cuffs).

So long sleeves isn't the problem in my opinion. Loose sleeves are a potential problem.

Dave Halter
01-18-2010, 4:15 PM
I wonder how many of those he makes in a day. I kept waiting for the blood to start spurting when he was using the axe.