PDA

View Full Version : Cautionary tale..

Thom Sturgill
01-17-2010, 6:23 PM
Just got back from the FL symposium, mostly pretty good but the 'instant gallery' was in the large room where the meeting was held and all of the vendors and registration were. This was held at a religeous convention center and another event was going on that weekend, so a lot of people were wandering through the room. No one was watching the tables and something apparently almost unheard of happened. I had placed three pieces on the table (first ones I've shown other than here and at the club). One was the small goblet or flute (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128610) that I posted pictures of recently. It was just buffed out Thursday night and I had not signed it yet as I wanted to get something that would show against the ebony.

It was stolen sometime Saturday afternoon. The card was found in the trash.

Needless to say that rather destroyed the weekend for me. I do not sell, and do not know that I even want to. I turn for my own artistic pleasure and gifts to friends and relatives is as close as I desire to get to production turning. I have some more ebony and another piece of the burl, and the weather should allow me to get back in the shop tomorrow and turn another.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2010, 6:29 PM
Thom - I am extremely sorry to hear of this! It was a beautiful piece and I hope you can turn another! There is no accounting for the behavior of some folks out there and I am sorry that this had to happen and mar your symposium!

Thom Sturgill
01-17-2010, 7:17 PM
Steve, thanks for the kind words. While I lost some expensive wood, It was a learning piece and I will go on from here. I am not the reason for the post.

I hope that those involved in setting up these events would think a little more about security, they are not club meetings where everyone knows everyone else. I was at the NC symposium and the instant gallery was in its own room with a manned table at the door. There were some world class turnings there (NC), but it seems that everyone that displays at these events does so because he values his work and wants to share it (and maybe get a few kudos, I got a LOT of nice comments on my square zebra-wood bowl). Most also want to see the work of others for inspiration. I know that there were several that have me thinking of new techniques to try.

John Keeton
01-17-2010, 7:21 PM
Thom, there may be something worse than a thief, but if so, it escapes me!! That is low. Sorry for your loss, and for your loss of confidence in mankind. I think sometimes that is worse than the tangible loss.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2010, 7:26 PM
Thom,

I understand the reason for your post and hope that those involved with these functions are aware of the risks. I have yet to attend a symposium but hope to some day. Actually seeing the works of others - the gallery - would be one of the main draws for me attending! I know each time we take anything we turn out so others can view it - we take a chance that something may happen. I do understand that accidents are sometimes unavoidable but theft is something that can be controlled to a large degree through planning.

Nathan Hawkes
01-17-2010, 7:51 PM
Thom, I'm horrified at the thought of someone going to an art show to steal. I noticed it the other day, but didn't post due to hand pain. I saved a copy of the picture then for inspiration. I hope that the thief's selfish greed doesn't stop you from turning. Truly sorry!

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 8:04 PM
Thom sorry to hear about your loss. That is about as low can go. Don't let it that stop you Thom. Turn another one Thom like it. It was beautiful.

Robert McGowen
01-17-2010, 8:07 PM
I guess that you could think of it as a compliment in a weird sort of way, but, yes, that really would put a damper on the weekend. I am sorry for your loss and hope the next goblet turns out even better!

Brian Effinger
01-17-2010, 8:35 PM
That really sucks! :mad: If you haven't already, you should contact the organizers of the event, and let them know what happened so that this sort of thing won't happen again.

George Guadiane
01-17-2010, 8:59 PM
It's pathetic that we have to worry about the things we work hard on, on the one hand, but I'm saddened but not surprised on the other.
Thieves seem tho think they have some right to the belongings of others.

It sounds like maybe someone should make alarm pedestals for the small items that go off LOUDLY when anyone picks up an item.
BIG pieces, too large to slip under a jacket might also be advised.

I suppose one should feel honored that one's piece was worth stealing - doesn't feel like that though, does it. I'm sorry for your loss.

Baxter Smith
01-17-2010, 9:49 PM
Sorry about your loss. Its unfortunate that when one does things to benefit the public, one also risks being stung by some of them. As to someone being lower than a thief, in my book its a vandal. At least in this case, someone recognized the beauty of your work.

Joe Adams
01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience as a warning to others who display their hard work. There is an unfortunate lack of consideration for your fellow man in today's society that leads to this kind of selfish act.

Jeff Nicol
01-18-2010, 5:31 AM
Thom, I know how you feel when something happens to one of your works. My cousin called me from her gallery and said that someone had broken the stem off of a hollow form I did a while ago. Another customer brought it up to her when she found it damaged. I truly feel for you.

Our society has created the arrogance and the ignorance of "Entitled". They believe that all is there for them to take and abuse without consequences. It really gets me riled up just to think about it, the harder we work the more they want!! It is all around us and getting worse by the day.

Stay strong and put some more of your talent out there for all to see,

Jeff

Roger Bullock
01-18-2010, 6:07 AM
Sorry for you loss. I agree with Jeff's quote "Our society has created the arrogance and the ignorance of "Entitled". Selfish acts like this eventually affect all of us. More security can mean higher admission cost. Or having show pieces displayed out of reach where we, the true admirer cannot fully benefit.

Roland Martin
01-18-2010, 1:05 PM
Is nothing sacred? I can't fathom that happening in that kind of a setting. Sorry for your loss.

Dick Strauss
01-18-2010, 3:01 PM
Thom,
I'm sorry to hear that you lost that beauty! The show organizers should have been more prepared to have someone (other than TSA) watching the pieces at all times.

Beware that some art galleries won't take responsibility for damage or loss when they display the piece for sale. I think many Woodcraft stores have the same policy for display pieces at their stores. :eek::(

Skip Spaulding
01-18-2010, 3:03 PM
Thom, that was a beautiful goblet, you may not have your lighting down but you sure seem to have your turning down! So sorry that someone felt the need to steal it. Hope it doesn't sour you on future shows.

Thom Sturgill
01-18-2010, 3:22 PM
Thom, that was a beautiful goblet, you may not have your lighting down but you sure seem to have your turning down! So sorry that someone felt the need to steal it. Hope it doesn't sour you on future shows.

Thanks all for the kind words. I will still go and will still display, but not probably not smaller pieces unless I think the security is up to par. As a Network tech, I am responsible for the college's firewalls and read a lot about 'security theatre'. This is like the lock on your door, it only keeps honest people honest. This show was treated more like your local club meeting, where everyone knows everyone and so there was NO security, theatre or otherwise. What hurt as much as the theft was the attitude of the guy 'in charge' of the gallery - he practically called me a liar until another board member spoke up that he had seen the piece.

Unfortunately with over 300 paid attendees (and quite a few non-paid from the other event I think), club meeting rules don't apply. If someone had dropped and broken it, I would have been sad, but would have taken that in stride as I knew that was part of the risk of showing the piece. I truly did not expect theft and don't think it was another turner, maybe a spouse or one of the kids that were there (though that's a sad thought too).

Dave Halter
01-18-2010, 3:48 PM
Thom,
The world is full of ignorant, selfish people who do not value another persons labor or seek to profit from it. I'm sure there are some people who attend these type of events just to see what they can take. It's like the people who watch the funeral notices so that they can rob someones house. I'm sorry for the loss of your turning, it was beautiful.

Dave

Jon Finch
01-18-2010, 3:50 PM
For the record... I was NOT in Florida over the weekend ;).

In all seriousness, I really liked that piece. Thievery sucks! I had a $1000 Honda generator walk out of my garage last week. And there went my new lathe money. :(

charlie knighton
01-18-2010, 4:19 PM
sorry for your loss, the florida symposium was otherwise well run, excellant demostrators, nice place, park you truck on friday and load up sunday,

again that is a shame, one person out of a large group of nice people

Steve and anyone else, most symposium the vendor area and instant gallery is open free to public, if you are close (150 miles), drive over visit and chat with whoever.