PDA

View Full Version : midi and mini

alvin rush
01-17-2010, 5:29 PM
what is the difference between the mini lathe and midi lathe anyone got a enexpensive delta? love the looks and hear nothing but good about them.........

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 5:43 PM
Not sure what the difference is except for size. The new 46-460 with 1 hp VS with reverse is a honey of a lathe, smooth and quiet. Plenty of power for turning a 12" bowl. I doubt you will find one that is inexpensive for quite some time to come. Tool Nut had them for $779 with bed extension and G-3 chuck. That is about as inexpensive as it gets.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-17-2010, 5:51 PM
I have that 'expensive' midi and a Jet Mini. A few differences are:slowest speed-mini-500 rpm Midi 225 rpm. Mini hp half horse Midi vs 1 hp. 12 in. swing on the midi 10 in. on the mini.Cost of mini around 400.00 Midi on sale 509.00 same tool rest post size and rest size.Longer bed on midi, just to name a few`. Would have not bought the mini if Midi was available, even tho about 30 or more pounds.the mini about 3000 top rpm's midi, 4000 rpm's.All this is for starters, others may have more info. Max

John Keeton
01-17-2010, 6:31 PM
Tool Nut had them for $779 with bed extension and G-3 chuck. That is about as inexpensive as it gets.Bernie, there was also a set of micro turning tools in the deal, and free shipping!!

Donny Lawson
01-17-2010, 6:54 PM
I've got the Delta 46-460 Midi and love it.It's got plenty of power and VERY quiet operation.I think that if you plan on turning pens or small bowls you cannot go wrong with this machine.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2010, 8:07 PM
John you are right. I forgot to include those.

Peter Lamb
01-17-2010, 8:13 PM
I have te 46-460, Better than advertised
Peter

Brian Effinger
01-17-2010, 8:39 PM
what is the difference between the mini lathe and midi lathe anyone got a enexpensive delta? love the looks and hear nothing but good about them.........

I have the Delta midi, and had the Jet mini. The midi's usually have a little more swing, length and hp over the mini, but the Delta takes it a step further in features. If you are looking for one, I think it comes down to how much you want to spend - the midi's are obviously a little more expensive than the mini's.

I hope that helped. :)

Brian

alvin rush
01-18-2010, 5:37 AM
thank you all just looking for something to turn some blanks for my fishing lures and a few other small things, not bowl or larger things was hoping someone had a mini laying around if they stepped up to a midi upgrade cant throw big bills around easily but hear a lot of good from delta and jet again thanks everyone.keep me in mind if you hear of one mini for sale cheap and maybe some 1x1x6 inch blocks of wood for turning want to make some lathe plugs, preferably basswood,and cedars but will accept anything want to find something I like and go with it if you know what I mean have a great day folks............

Chris Stolicky
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I've got the Delta 46-460 Midi and love it.It's got plenty of power and VERY quiet operation.I think that if you plan on turning pens or small bowls you cannot go wrong with this machine.

Nice stand for the Delta, er, table saw....

Allen Neighbors
01-18-2010, 6:15 PM
Hey, Alvin, have you looked at the Penn State Industries lathes? They're not very expensive, and their low speed isn't very low, but for the money, they would turn lures very well. They'll stand behind them, also. If you get the VS Turncrafter Pro, I don't think you'd be disappointed. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mini-lathes.html
Just a thought. I answered your PM.
Al