PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Tip Furniture Straps

Randy Klein
01-17-2010, 4:43 PM
Had a kid climb a dresser today only to have it tip on her. No injuries, just a whole lot of scared. So now I'm looking for some anti-tip furniture straps. Any recommendations? Buy or make? the ones I've seen are nylon straps with grommets. One end screwed into a stud, the other into the dresser. Found nothing at the BORGs.

Myk Rian
01-17-2010, 4:59 PM
Couple screw eyes and a wire zip tie.
Put one long eye in the wall stud, another in the dresser, and tie them together.

doug faist
01-17-2010, 5:10 PM
Randy - I've always used L-brackets. As long as the wall side is anchored in a stud it will take a small truck to tip over the furniture. It works quite well with tall dressers and three year olds. DAMHIKT

Doug

Stan Urbas
01-17-2010, 5:16 PM
Your talking about "earthquake straps". I have them in my home on my grandfather clock and two tall china cabs. One piece has a metal eye and you screw it into a stud, the other attaches to the top of your cab. They use a hook and loop to join the two together. Very simple, easy to install, very effective.
I believe I got mine at either Lowes or Home Depot, but if you Google "earthquake straps" you'll get a bunch of hits.

mickey cassiba
01-17-2010, 7:03 PM
I've been using plumber's strap(perforated metal tape) for a long time now. Ever since the early seventies in Los Angeles. Screwed into a stud, and securely fastened to any item, it'll hold almost anything.
Mick

Doug W Swanson
01-17-2010, 7:05 PM
It's good that your daughter did not get hurt. About 5 years ago our friend's 2 yr old died from having a dresser fall on him. It was a tragic accident and not something most people think about until after it happens (I know we didn't).

After that happened, we bought some straps from Target. They had a piece that screwed to the wall and another that screwed to the dresser. Then you used re-usable zip ties between them. They worked just fine but some of the velcro ones you see now might be better in case you ever have to move the furniture for cleaning, painting, etc.

Hope this helps....
Doug

Russell Tribby
01-17-2010, 7:13 PM
I've been using plumber's strap(perforated metal tape) for a long time now. Ever since the early seventies in Los Angeles. Screwed into a stud, and securely fastened to any item, it'll hold almost anything.
Mick

That's what I've used. It's cheap, can be cut to any length, and it works great.

Jim Summers
01-17-2010, 8:21 PM
That's what I've used. It's cheap, can be cut to any length, and it works great.

Plumbers strap here also.

Mark Maleski
01-17-2010, 8:27 PM
We've just gone through the baby-proofing drill (10-month old daughter is getting her legs under her). If you're not finding what you seek, look at Babies R Us -they have general tie-downs plus specialized kit for flat-screen tvs, etc.

Chris Kennedy
01-17-2010, 8:40 PM
Thank God everything came out alright. I put screw in hooks in the wall and the furniture at 90 degrees to each other and then fastened them with zip ties. Suckers don't move.

Cheers,

Chris

Matt Meiser
01-17-2010, 8:51 PM
On my daughter's bookcase I just used a couple of "figure 8" table top fasteners, but on that I notched the bottom of the back so it would sit tight against the wall despite the baseboard trim.

James Biddle
01-18-2010, 9:54 AM
I've used the Anti-Tip Kit from Hangman.com, also available at Amazon. It's nice in that it has a cable held to a wall bracket with a clevis pin and clip so you can move the piece of furniture easy when you need to. I gave them away every time I made a piece that could tip over, just to be safe.

Randy Klein
01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I've used the Anti-Tip Kit from Hangman.com, also available at Amazon. It's nice in that it has a cable held to a wall bracket with a clevis pin and clip so you can move the piece of furniture easy when you need to. I gave them away every time I made a piece that could tip over, just to be safe.

Those look really nice. Are they all steel? Or is there any plastic?

Randy Klein
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

FYI.

So here's the link to Amazon 2-pack (http://www.amazon.com/Hangman-Products-TK-400-2-Anti-Tip-Furniture/dp/B002NEFFD8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263836052&sr=1-6). I also found them at my local Ace store, but only as singles. A little more money, but at least they'll be installed today. Their website however lists a 5-pack (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2857785), which ends up as the best value.

BTW, they are an all metal construction. No plastic. And seems very sturdy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to be adding these to all my tall and climbable objects.